FS19 (-5%) in GA

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Small crack repair on spray rail?

Post by GuyP »

Two 4 - 6 inch cracks have appeared in paint on one of the spray rails (see red lines on pic). This pic is just to show location on the top side of the rail not in the joints at the hull surface. The spray rails were glued on then covered with biax 12 oz tape after the hull was tape and cloth covered. I’m expecting I may find I had a little air space under the tape when I get to probing when I repair. Those surfaces on the spray rails were the most difficult to glass as they were almost upside down during construction. I did have to repair a few places on them while fairing and sanding prior to painting.

I’ll wait until I can get a good look at the complete underside before I work on these two “cracks”. I propose to: 1) dissect the cracks carefully removing any loose material, 2) carefully sand to smooth and knock the paint back a little, 3) apply neat epoxy then fill with Quickfair sand, tape off, prime and paint.

It should be restricted to just one narrow surface on the top side of one spray rail.

What y’all think?
Attachments
EB360E67-C4BB-49A6-9552-D871D34E99A1.jpeg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Small crack repair on spray rail?

Post by VT_Jeff »

GuyP wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:12 pm Two 4 - 6 inch cracks have appeared in paint on one of the spray rails (see red lines on pic). This pic is just to show location on the top side of the rail not in the joints at the hull surface. The spray rails were glued on then covered with biax 12 oz tape after the hull was tape and cloth covered. I’m expecting I may find I had a little air space under the tape when I get to probing when I repair. Those surfaces on the spray rails were the most difficult to glass as they were almost upside down during construction. I did have to repair a few places on them while fairing and sanding prior to painting.

I’ll wait until I can get a good look at the complete underside before I work on these two “cracks”. I propose to: 1) dissect the cracks carefully removing any loose material, 2) carefully sand to smooth and knock the paint back a little, 3) apply neat epoxy then fill with Quickfair sand, tape off, prime and paint.

It should be restricted to just one narrow surface on the top side of one spray rail.

What y’all think?
I'm trying to picture what could cause a crack like that and I'm having a lot of trouble.

Either the core wood is unstable/moving enough to crack the encapsulating glass, or it flexed. Both seem pretty unlikely to me. I'm stumped.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS19 (-5%) in GA

Post by GuyP »

I think it probably flexed. It feels a little soft under the cracked paint. Must have been an air space. I don’t see any others but will check it out thoroughly.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

After that beautiful paint job too. That really sucks.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

If this is the only location limited to one surface of the spray rail the repair should be unnoticeable.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Guy how did you find these? The last I saw your boat was on the rack at the lake? But yes your theory is sound.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

It’s still hanging in boat slip. Pic earlier is pre flip just to show location. Should have used this pic. Arrows show approximate location of cracks but they are not visible in pic. They’re on the top surface of that spray rail. Underside of this rail is fine as is both top and bottom of port side. I should be able to refinish the top side of this rail without affecting the hull side panel.

I need to get under her to check out the strakes and keel. Expect them to be fine but want to get full use out of one of those “gold” spray cans of EMC Quantum 99 after its activated.
Attachments
49C9CB26-B213-4D6A-AF40-DF3F2FD0D873.jpeg

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Hybrid striped bass almost jumping in the boat the last 2 days including my personal best 6 lb 10 oz, released.
Attachments
9425B22A-7C0B-49B0-ABC0-C8F148C96D63.jpeg

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Nice fish. Are they good eating? I see a lot of really high HP boats chasing those fish and sometimes wonder why.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:04 am Nice fish. Are they good eating? I see a lot of really high HP boats chasing those fish and sometimes wonder why.
Very good eating. I will let Guy his favorite way of cooking them.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978