FS19 (-5%) in GA

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS19 (-5%) in GA

Post by GuyP »

Tom, I went with the size you recommended, stainless 14 x 20. She gets up on plane at about 2500. At 3000 she’s going 18 mph with one or two adults. At 4000 she went 25 with just me aboard and went 28 if I trimmed her up a little but handling suffered (touchy steering). I have to get another hour on her before I can open her up but for only 5 minutes at a time for the next 7 hours. That won’t be difficult as I can’t imagine wanting to open it up for any longer than that. 25 mph on the water is pretty fast to me. I’m running exclusively with it trimmed down all the way except for that short period I mentioned going 28.

Oh yeah we’re on Lake Sinclair. I’m using one of those IPhone speedometer apps. Corresponded pretty well with my Tacoma’s speedometer.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Guy, absolutely gorgeous boat! Congratulations!!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

I had enough hours on the Suzuki 90 four stroke to run up to full throttle yesterday but didn’t quite get there. She handled nicely but 35 mph at 5700 RPM on a smooth stretch of lake was fast enough for me right now! Ran her up to 30 mph in a moderate chop (pictured below) and stayed smooth and dry. She comes out of the hole easily, even when break in limited me to less than 3000 RPM and the bow settles down nicely. Haven’t measured her draft and have not seen it under way from the shore but is high, flat and stable while onboard, underway or idle. She was built standard according to the plan with the exception of scaling down 5%. She has no additional tanks or compartments, a 23 gallon fuel tank (40 gallon specified in plan), and about two gallons more epoxy. This is my first 4 stroke and is virtually silent at idle and much quieter underway than the 2 strokes I’m accustomed to operating.

Slowest speed is 3.4 mph at 800 RPM in idle and in gear, planes out at about 2500 RPM, runs 18 mph at 3000 RPM, 25 mph at 4000 RPM, 30 mph at 5000 RPM and 35 mph at 5700 RPM.
Attachments
E1A1BA8D-1BE8-4A6B-859D-87088AF9665D.png

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

I’m 4 1/2 hours into the 10 hour break in period on the Suzuki 90 and able to open it up but 5700 rpm and 35 mph is the highest I’ve taken her to. I think she’s got about 500 rpm left in tank. Very satisfied with smooth and quiet ride and quickness to get on plane. One thing I’ve noticed when running at a good clip is it sounds like noise of hull cutting through water is resonating on the inside of the console. Not bad but thinking a little foam in the raised curb for the conduit under the console may reduce it. All floatation foam is on the outside of the stringers and the conduits run between them. Y’all think it’s worth a try?

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Couldn't hurt putting some foam in there.

You've got to be pleased with your build and the performance it has!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Yes sir Eric, I am certainly pleased. Can’t wait to get some hybrid/striper scales on her and pull a skier out of the hole. Thanks

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hi Guy sounds like your pretty pleased with your FS. One problem I see is if your only getting 5700rpms at full throttle you need a little different prop on her. Don't know what pitch your running now but you should go down 2 inches in pitch. Max rpms on that Suzuki 90 is 6300rpm's. So going down 2 inches will get you up to around 6100 or so rpm's at full throttle. This will also let your mid-cruise rpm numbers to be lower.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Tom I have not gotten all the way full throttle yet. I still had some throttle left when I was at 5700 and 35mph. I’m into the motor break-in period where I “may” get up to full throttle for 5 minute periods. I’ll get my nerve up eventually and open her up fully before long. 8O

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

PS - I’m running a 14 x 20.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

GuyP wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:44 am Tom I have not gotten all the way full throttle yet. I still had some throttle left when I was at 5700 and 35mph. I’m into the motor break-in period where I “may” get up to full throttle for 5 minute periods. I’ll get my nerve up eventually and open her up fully before long. 8O
Okay I thought you said you were up to full throttle. Sounds like you have the right prop. When you do reach full throttle you should be at or over 6000rpms for that motor. You will never use it in most cases, but for the motor to have the best performance in all ranges that is what you should have.

I'm like you full throttle is not fun. in a small boat. Just do it for a couple of minutes to get the numbers and back down. You'll never probably never do it again. Let us know what you get, all of us would be interested.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978