FS19 (-5%) in GA

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS19 (-5%) in GA

Post by topwater »

Check your stringers at frame D and E they should be flush with the top of the frames , looks flush at the transom.
Novi 23 finally launched !

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

E is the one where stringers are a little high.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

I know that they’re not flush at E. I was looking for advice on evening them out. At this point I’m planning to deepen the notches in E enough to raise E to even out with stringers. This will lower the base line a little. I’ll then lower the sheer enough to make up for the lowered base line. I believe that should raise mold E enough to be back in line with D and F, keep the sole flat and even and keep the sheer line fair.

That’s the plan for Monday. Comments will be appreciated.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Yes, glue the motorwell sides to the stringers.

No worries. Not sure if the scaling has an effect on this, but I had very similar issues with the stringers being proud of the rear frames when constructing the FS19. I had to do some fine tuning like you are doing to get it all to work. The important part is to make sure everything makes a fair hull with no dips, lumps or bumps. The station/frame locations fore and aft also can contribute to the stringers being flush or not and can be adjusted if needed.

The building technique is very forgiving of gaps. In fact, you’ll be removing the stringer, motor well sides and all of the frames when you flip the hull and fiberglass the interior. After fiberglassing the interior, the frames and perhaps the stringers and motor well sides will need some adjustments to ensure a gap with the bottom and to accommodate the thickness of the glass and the radius of the fillets at the various seams. The heights of the frames as you pointed out will all be adjusted anyways when you determine shear, sole and deck heights.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Thanks Jordy. I’ll go ahead and adjust E as I outlined and glue motorwell sides. Your insight is appreciated and will be called upon judiciously.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Jig is complete with temporary frames, motorwell bulkhead, sides, stringers and transom assembly. 37 hours into it so far. Ready to start laying out, cutting out and butt joining 20 ft hull sections.
Attachments
B0D8A089-5D2E-4583-8046-F41CE30216B7.png
77CAE1BE-E709-4AE2-B3D5-16A2C2F376A9.jpeg
EA8F95C2-48E8-4300-8DE1-E90D61D28CAF.jpeg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looks ready for some big sheets of plywood now!!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress GuyP!!!! Jeff

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Nice. It’s going to look like a boat very soon.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

When assembling a long panel using fiberglass tape, do you tape both sides of the seam? If just one does the taped side go inside or outside the hull? :doh: