FS19 (-5%) in GA

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS19 (-5%) in GA

Post by Jeff »

Good catch!!! Jeff

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

This one I now believe is a striped bass (non-hybrid). Both taste excellent to me. My best way to cook is roll fillet pieces in melted butter then bread crumbs. Salt and pepper them. Bake at 410 degrees about 15 min on a greased baking sheet. Pull out when coating on the top gets brown to your liking. No need to turn while baking. We call them oven fried. Yum! When filleting, I trim the heavy part of the “blood line” out on the skin side.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Collision insurance rejection again

Post by GuyP »

Three strikes and I’m out. Geico, Progressive and now Amica have rejected to insure my FS19 for collision. I’m just asking for the build cost value. Progressive currently insures liability and medical. Amica told me to try Formost which I will do and I know Hagaerty will do it at a premium. Amica guy said underwriting was hesitant because of “custom/home built” designation and that I honestly said yes I’d allow close family and friends to pilot in my presence.

I know forum members are insured with these three companies. If anyone has an agent that might send me in the right direction please let me know. It’s not my or wife’s driving records, they’re spotless).

Thanks
GuyP (the P currently stands for P—-d off)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Collision insurance rejection again

Post by VT_Jeff »

GuyP wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:15 pm Three strikes and I’m out. Geico, Progressive and now Amica have rejected to insure my FS19 for collision. I’m just asking for the build cost value. Progressive currently insures liability and medical. Amica told me to try Formost which I will do and I know Hagaerty will do it at a premium. Amica guy said underwriting was hesitant because of “custom/home built” designation and that I honestly said yes I’d allow close family and friends to pilot in my presence.

I know forum members are insured with these three companies. If anyone has an agent that might send me in the right direction please let me know. It’s not my or wife’s driving records, they’re spotless).

Thanks
GuyP (the P currently stands for P—-d off)
And nothing available for towing accidents? What difference could it make if its homemade if you get rear ended at a stoplight?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Collision insurance rejection again

Post by GuyP »

Especially if they’re insuring my liability in this home built craft of questionable origin. :doh:

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Never say the boat is plywood. Some clerk will cut you off.

Always say the boat is fiberglass composite...it is; you are not lying.

If they ask you for the core, say fiberglass and epoxy sheathed ply core.

If they require a survey, get one. If they don't ask, offer one. That is, if they say no to you, ask them if a survey would make a difference.

I expect to have some fun insuring mine as well.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

I haven’t mentioned plywood but have said fiberglass over wood when asked. Foremost just flat said no home made boats. I have a quote request in to Hagerty but expect it to be pricy. I do have 300K liability, uninsured boater and the max they’ll do for medical payments for $100/year with Progressive. I’m expecting $500+ from Hagerty and will decide if that additional is worth the 20K coverage I’m asking for on collision. I’ll rarely trailer so not really an issue.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

GuyP wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:13 am I haven’t mentioned plywood but have said fiberglass over wood when asked. Foremost just flat said no home made boats. I have a quote request in to Hagerty but expect it to be pricy. I do have 300K liability, uninsured boater and the max they’ll do for medical payments for $100/year with Progressive. I’m expecting $500+ from Hagerty and will decide if that additional is worth the 20K coverage I’m asking for on collision. I’ll rarely trailer so not really an issue.
Remember these words.

Custom built. Composite. Will pass insurance survey.

Forget these words.

Homemade. Wood. No inspection.

Insurers have footage requirements for surveys. They may vary.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wwsmith
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wwsmith »

Did you ever end up getting insurance? Running into the same problem myself. I didn't do my homework well enough because Geico was insuring my LM18. I just assumed they'd insure the new boat, but turns out they have changed their policy on these boats. It's turning into a little bit of an issue for me. Any advice from those in a similar situation? Anyone planning to build a new boat with expensive rigging should be warned about this.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

wwsmith, give Progressive a try!! They seem to do well with our boats!!! Jeff