Page 1 of 1

FS19 (-5%) in GA

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:42 pm
by GuyP
The adventure begins! Been mulling over the metric plans about a year (including Browndog’s FS19 masterpiece). Pulled the trigger and started the jig about a month ago. Picked up 22 sheets of plywood, 13 gallons epoxy and the rest of the supplies in the BOM on Tuesday at BBCentral. Met Jeff and Reid who were the nice guys I expected after numerous email, text and phone conversations. I’m new at stitch and glue but have built 2 glued lapstrakes: 12 foot Ellen sailboat by Jon Brooks and 15 ft Design 54 sailboat by George Whisstock (lengthened a foot and added center console and 40 hp Yamaha). I’m in no rush and will eeek into this slowly (as fast as regular life and epoxy cure temperatures allow). I’m looking forward to gigs and advice from FORUM members.
Jig going together
Jig going together
GuyP

Re: FS19 (-5%) in GA

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:23 pm
by BarraMan
22 sheets of plywood
??

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:47 am
by Fuzz
I thought the same thing so I looked at the plans and they do call for 20 sheets. Getting a little extra plywood seems like a good idea.

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:31 am
by Jeff
Yes, it was nice meeting Guy!! Long drive on his part but he had great weather!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:46 am
by piperdown
Welcome to the forum!
I'll be following along :D

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 am
by Browndog
Glad to see another FS19 (or 18.5) being started. Since you are in Georgia, as am I, let me know if you ever need help and I‘d be happy to help in whatever way I can.

Best wishes,
Jordy

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:06 am
by GuyP
With a gunwale the nesting plan shows 21. That does not include the console. Thanks for the good wishes and offers of help. I’ll be taking y’all up on them.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:10 pm
by GuyP
I’m almost through with jig construction. I’m planning on using the motor well bulkhead as the frame attached to the jig. Questions: 1) do I attach the motor well sides to the bulkhead and attached them also to the transom as part of the jig? 2) How do I determine the height of the motor well bulkhead above the sole? Do I decide how far below the gunwale I want the aft deck to be and go from there?

Thanks

Guy

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:25 pm
by jacquesmm
GuyP wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:10 pm Questions: 1) do I attach the motor well sides to the bulkhead and attached them also to the transom as part of the jig?
No, just temporary screws.

2) How do I determine the height of the motor well bulkhead above the sole? Do I decide how far below the gunwale I want the aft deck to be and go from there?
Use the baseline. You must draw the baseline on all molds, frames and bulkheads and always level based on the BL.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:54 pm
by GuyP
Yes sir. Baseline is on all my molds. I don’t see a drawing that shows that height above the baseline. Looking at sheet 314/9 it lists 558 mm (before scaling) on forward edge of motor well side. I can work with that and get close.

How about the attachment question?

Thanks

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:42 pm
by GuyP
Thanks Jacques. Just noticed the first attachment answer.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:38 pm
by GuyP
I will be laminating stringers, transom/clamping boards over the next few days. I expect I need to 1) brush a layer of mixed resin on both sides to be laminated, 2) sandwich both panel layers together and line them up, 3) apply moderate weight/pressure without excessive squeeze out until set. All of course working on a flat surface.

I looked over How-To’s, Tutorials and plans/building notes and did not see specific instructions. I’ve laminated transoms into the past but not long components like stringers.

On the right track?

Thanks

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:50 pm
by BB Sig
You need to use epoxy mixed with wood flour, epoxy glue. Straight epoxy will not give you much strength. I'll see if I can find the right tutorial.

Found it!

http://bateau2.com/howto/epoxy_mixing.php

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:49 pm
by GuyP
Got it. THANKS.

So wet both surfaces with epoxy, apply a thin layer of epoxy glue, then apply even moderate pressure. Sound right to you?

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:01 pm
by OneWayTraffic
Yes. Just enough pressure so that there is squeeze out all around, but not so much that you chase all the glue out of the joint. Since you are laminating flat on the ground ketchup consistency is ideal. I don't have wood flour, but WEST 206 (cabosil?) worked fine. I'd probably use microfibres next time.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:25 am
by GuyP
Thanks BB Sig and One Way Traffic. I have wood flour and will go with ketchup consistency.

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:11 am
by GuyP
The first pieces of the real boat are cut and laminated!

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:27 pm
by BB Sig
Congrats and good move on the plastic! :D

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:16 am
by Biney777
Guy,
Welcome to the forum! Good job in getting on here at the beginning. The guys love pictures and don't hesitate to ask your questions. It is far better to ask it early than to "need" the answer and have to stop progress to wait for the answer!

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:45 pm
by GuyP
Questions for the pros:

1- do I glue the motor well sides to the stringers as I have them in the exact position I want them? They are temporarily screwed to stringers and line up perfectly with bulkhead F, baseline and stringers.

2- mold E is about 1/4 inch low where notched to stringers compared to other stringer/mold joints. Everything lines up: base line, jig/strongback alignment, mold E and stringer measurements compared to plans (even -5% calculations). I’m thinking that difference is not critical. What do y’all think?

Photo included shows both.

Thanks

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:56 am
by topwater
Check your stringers at frame D and E they should be flush with the top of the frames , looks flush at the transom.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:17 am
by GuyP
E is the one where stringers are a little high.

Posted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:45 pm
by GuyP
I know that they’re not flush at E. I was looking for advice on evening them out. At this point I’m planning to deepen the notches in E enough to raise E to even out with stringers. This will lower the base line a little. I’ll then lower the sheer enough to make up for the lowered base line. I believe that should raise mold E enough to be back in line with D and F, keep the sole flat and even and keep the sheer line fair.

That’s the plan for Monday. Comments will be appreciated.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:36 am
by Browndog
Yes, glue the motorwell sides to the stringers.

No worries. Not sure if the scaling has an effect on this, but I had very similar issues with the stringers being proud of the rear frames when constructing the FS19. I had to do some fine tuning like you are doing to get it all to work. The important part is to make sure everything makes a fair hull with no dips, lumps or bumps. The station/frame locations fore and aft also can contribute to the stringers being flush or not and can be adjusted if needed.

The building technique is very forgiving of gaps. In fact, you’ll be removing the stringer, motor well sides and all of the frames when you flip the hull and fiberglass the interior. After fiberglassing the interior, the frames and perhaps the stringers and motor well sides will need some adjustments to ensure a gap with the bottom and to accommodate the thickness of the glass and the radius of the fillets at the various seams. The heights of the frames as you pointed out will all be adjusted anyways when you determine shear, sole and deck heights.

Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:11 am
by GuyP
Thanks Jordy. I’ll go ahead and adjust E as I outlined and glue motorwell sides. Your insight is appreciated and will be called upon judiciously.

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:41 pm
by GuyP
Jig is complete with temporary frames, motorwell bulkhead, sides, stringers and transom assembly. 37 hours into it so far. Ready to start laying out, cutting out and butt joining 20 ft hull sections.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:49 am
by OrangeQuest
Looks ready for some big sheets of plywood now!!

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:51 am
by Jeff
Nice progress GuyP!!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:13 pm
by Browndog
Nice. It’s going to look like a boat very soon.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:40 pm
by GuyP
When assembling a long panel using fiberglass tape, do you tape both sides of the seam? If just one does the taped side go inside or outside the hull? :doh:

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:00 pm
by BB Sig
The plans should specify. If in doubt, do both sides. :D

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:08 pm
by piperdown
my gf16 specified fg on both sides of the seam. Had to have my boys help flip so it didn't crack. Others built a frame for the flip so the seam doesn't break open. Don't forget to make sure you have thickened epoxy in the middle of the seam between the splices. I forgot that and when I flip to do the interior I'll have to grind down, fill and then retape.

Edit, unless you have the puzzle joint kit. I think that's something different where you just glue them together with thickened epoxy.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:02 pm
by GuyP
Thanks Eric. It’s not a kit. I’ll look back through the plans. In case I don’t find it do you use cloth or tape?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:10 pm
by BB Sig
Biaxial tape if you have it.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 pm
by piperdown
GuyP wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:02 pm Thanks Eric. It’s not a kit. I’ll look back through the plans. In case I don’t find it do you use cloth or tape?
12oz biax tape 6" wide.

http://bateau2.com/howto/long_panel.php

I'm fairly certain that JM doesn't spec out butt blocks as standard anymore. They may still be called out on older designs or as some type of extra reinforcement.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:49 pm
by GuyP
Double checked plan how tos, building notes and plans themselves. I did see to use tape not cloth. I’m not considering butt blocks. Just the tape method. Inside and out? Number of layers?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:59 pm
by BB Sig
One layer each side.

We are talking about making long hull panels from 8' sheets of ply, right? :doh:

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:18 pm
by GuyP
Barry that’s right - 8’ sheets.

Thanks, I’ll do one later tape each side.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:35 pm
by BB Sig
Make sure you get some help. It's easy to cause damage by yourself. :help:

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:14 pm
by piperdown
Not to make it more complicated :help: but some folks here recessed where the glass went with a power planer. I didn't and I don't think it makes a huge difference in fairing if you get the splice right and feather the edges of the tape. It was taking off like 1/64" if I recall correctly and JM said the joint would still be as strong as needed.
Just an option.

Definitely get help on turning the floppy panels over. I tried by myself and then called for the boys to help. Didn't want to fold the panel or crack it after all that work. Once the other slice was on it was still floppy but it wasn't something I was worried about cracking at the splice. Plenty strong.

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:04 am
by Fuzz
Clamp a 8 foot 2x4 across the joint to keep it from cracking when you flip it.

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:59 pm
by GuyP
Will do as well as get my wife involved in these minor flips.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 pm
by GuyP
How long should I wait before carefully turning over a long panel fiberglass/epoxy butt joint to glass the flip side of the joint.
75 degree high, 60 low, 70 at mix time. Used medium speed hardener. Found the cure speed chart detailing minutes to gel and recomends 24 hours to sanding.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:21 am
by pee wee
GuyP wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 pm How long should I wait before carefully turning over a long panel fiberglass/epoxy butt joint to glass the flip side of the joint.
75 degree high, 60 low, 70 at mix time. Used medium speed hardener. Found the cure speed chart detailing minutes to gel and recomends 24 hours to sanding.
I'd go by how hard the epoxy has set up- if you can barely make a dent in it with your fingernail, or not at all, be careful and proceed.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:37 am
by piperdown
pee wee wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:21 am
GuyP wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 pm How long should I wait before carefully turning over a long panel fiberglass/epoxy butt joint to glass the flip side of the joint.
I'd go by how hard the epoxy has set up- if you can barely make a dent in it with your fingernail, or not at all, be careful and proceed.
Yep, same here. Usually, when it's during summer temps, I was able to flip the next day.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:16 pm
by GuyP
Thanks fellas. Lyn and I got it flipped and side two is curing. Cutting out its mirror image currently.

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:07 pm
by GuyP
Next week I’ll be stitching the panels around the molds and transom.

Questions

Should I temporarily screw the panels to the transom until putty has been applied and set?

If the transom is not lining up exactly to the panels should I detach the temporary screws holding it to the motorwell sides as I screw it to the panels?

I think I could adjust the frames holding the stringers and motorwell but believe his way is easier and should result in good alignment as long as port/starboard panels are mirror images.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:47 pm
by piperdown
Based on what I did and what others have done on their builds attach it loosely with a screw to the transom and work forward to the bow.
I used one screw in the top of the side panel to the transom and then used some stitches moving to the bow on each side. Fiddled with it for a bit until I was satisfied both sides were fair and everything lined up.

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:33 am
by GuyP
A break from boat building. My largest, released!

Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:58 pm
by BB Sig
Nice cat! 8)

Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:54 pm
by GuyP
Needing a little confirmation before gluing the seams.

Panels line up on the molds pretty well. Keel seam is stitched tight (except near the bow) with framing nails separating the panels at the stitches. A couple screws hold each bottom panel to the transom with framing nail spacers in place. I have plastic sheeting covering the frames at the panel joints. Chine joints are loosely stitched.

I’m fitting 1/2” pvc pipe in the stitches along the chine between each frame. I believe the pipe will pull up to the seam inside along the chine joint and give the putty applied to the exterior seam some backing to keep putty from oozing through the back side of the joints.

Tomorrow first thing 1) I’ll screw and spacer the side panels to the transom, 2) adjust the chine joint stitches with nail spacers, 3) tighten and spacer the stitches near the bow. 4) check to make sure joint spacing is even, panels are flat against frames and lines look fair.

I’m also considering restitching the keel seam and inserting 1/2 pvc like I did along the chines. Do others think this is worthwhile?

If this all works out measuring consistently even from transom to frames (comparing port to starboard) I’ll start applying putty to the seams.

It’s looking like a big wide boat!

Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:04 pm
by piperdown
"I’m also considering restitching the keel seam and inserting 1/2 pvc like I did along the chines. Do others think this is worthwhile?"

Only if the panels try and overlap each other. If they don't, then I wouldn't go to the extra hassle.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:09 pm
by GuyP
Thanks Eric👍

Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:16 pm
by GuyP
Over the past couple days I finished stitching the bow. A needed to trim about a 1/4 inch wide arc near the center of both bow panels. I used pvc pipe under the chine stitches (cut to fit between the molds). It helped the chines line up nicely and hopefully kept the fillet putty in it’s place on the inside. I could not use nails as spacers with the pipe under the chine joints but did use uniformly cut yellow pine spacers. I contorted myself and taped along the inside keel seam. After putty set overnight I removed stitches and spacers and filled remaining joint voids and stitch holes. Photos hopefully show it as there’s a uniform slight flair on the sides near the transom and on both bottom panels near the transom. Next week I’ll sand the joints round and touch up with a little putty and sanding.

I did have to loosen the temporary motor well/transom screw connections to get the transom/panel joints to square up. All in all the lines look pretty fair to me.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:39 am
by Fuzz
As long as it is fair and the planing surface is flat I think you got it. It is normal to do a little fiddling. No two pieces of plywood with bend exactly the same so small differences are to be expected.
From all I see it looks like you have done some good work.

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:19 am
by piperdown
Looks good, and as Fuzz said, as long as it's fair that's what matters. :D

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:27 am
by OrangeQuest
It all looks good!

Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:49 am
by GuyP
Thanks fellas. It may be next week before I get back to it.

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:00 pm
by GuyP
I will be installing spray rails and will be covering with glass and fairing with the hull. I believe I should attach the rails and glass over after I have applied the one layer tape and one layer cloth on the outside at the chine as called for in the Building Notes.

Is this correct. Should I use biaxial tape or regular cloth to glass over? Should the rail be attached to the edge of the side panel?

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:16 pm
by GuyP
I’m currently rounding the seams at keel, chine, and transom. As I round I’m finding that the puttied seams have numerous flat spots that are not being rounded in the sanding process. Should I build these flat spots up with a third putty application and resend or will glass, cloth and epoxy applied in the next steps do the trick? The joints are sealed so that there are no voids open to the inside.

Thanks

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:35 pm
by piperdown
I had that happen too. I went ahead and built up the seam with more putty, let it cure and then was able to round it nicely. I think it let the tape and glass lay better over it.

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:14 pm
by Fuzz
Those spots do not look too bad or too deep. If you left them as is you would get air pockets when you glass. If you are ready to glass now you could mix up some epoxy puddy/glue and fill the low spots. As soon as it firms up just a little you could go ahead and glass. Or fill and wait to sand either way will work it is up to you.

Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:39 pm
by GuyP
Thanks Fuzz and Eric. Prior to seeing your replies I cleaned up the panel edges and added some putty to the low spots. I’ll go ahead and finish rounding tomorrow.

I’m hoping to get some input on the previous question about when to install the spray rails. I may glass and epoxy later this week.

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:05 am
by Fuzz
Do all the glassing called for in the plans first and then come back and add any rails. That way if you ripped up the rails some way you are not exposing the hull, only the add on rails.

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:03 am
by piperdown
Fuzz actually brings up a good point. I know do it without thinking and that's building a thicker putty, letting it set for bit to get good and tacky, then glassing over it. I did it with the starboard runner and will with the port. I did it the other way when first starting.
I'll do the same on the interior. Run a thick putty for the inside seams, smooth the out a bit with some neat epoxy by brushing (recall CL doing that), wait for it to set up some, then tape over. Still wet on wet for a chemical bond.

I also know that Fallguy does a hot coat under his glass. Same concept. Trowel on a thin coat of thickened epoxy then glass over and brush on neat epoxy over the top to wet out, then remove any excess. The thickened epoxy underneath helps fill small voids and, I think, helps the glass from sliding around.

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:48 pm
by TomW1
Guy it looks like you applied the epoxy between the frames so you are ready to apply the 6" tape as the plans require. Go for it.

Tom

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:08 pm
by GuyP
I’ve seen a description of wet on wet epoxy/glass lay up but can’t find it. I understand the concept but have some questions. I know I can/should tape over a fillet as soon as it’s laid. I believe I can relayer tape and glass cloth after the epoxy has set up. Am I correct and how long after the epoxy sets up can I lay another layer and still have wet on wet benefits?

Is there a tutorial?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:47 pm
by Fuzz
Wet on wet is just that. You lay more glass over the first before it has set up. This is both the fastest and gives the best bond with the least amount of work. The problem is trying to get a bunch of glass down at one time. Even harder if you are working by yourself. Sometimes you just can't do it for any number of reasons. If the epoxy is still green, not fully cured, you can still get a chemical bond. Most of the time you have about 24 hours for this to happen. After that you need to sand to get a mechanical bond. If your epoxy will blush you need to wash it before sanding.

Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:49 pm
by piperdown
GuyP wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:08 pm I’ve seen a description of wet on wet epoxy/glass lay up but can’t find it. I understand the concept but have some questions. I know I can/should tape over a fillet as soon as it’s laid. I believe I can relayer tape and glass cloth after the epoxy has set up. Am I correct and how long after the epoxy sets up can I lay another layer and still have wet on wet benefits?

Is there a tutorial?

Thanks in advance.
I haven't seen a specific tutorial. Most of what I have learned had been from others on here and what I have gotten from the links to epoxy makers.
I also think the wet on wet times are epoxy specific. I usually try and stay within a max 12 hour window but I know some have said that if it's within 24 hours its still a chemical bond. I also think, not confirmed, that it make also be dependent on the hardner speed too.
I've laid wet fiberglass early in the morning and then again when I've gotten home ~ 9-10 hrs later and have been assured by the knowledgeable folk on here that its still considered wet on wet, i.e., chemical bond.

My "plan" for the interior of my boat, when I'm ready to flip, is to pick a day and get up early, coat everything with neat epoxy and run the fillets. If I have time I'll go ahead and tape the seams. If not, I'll come home over lunch and tape. Then when I am home at night fiberglass with the wide cloth even if I don't get done until very late. That would be wet on wet.

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 pm
by GuyP
Joints filled. rounded and sanded. Tape and cloth going down next Monday- Wednesday. Anyone know of a good video on wetting out cloth?

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 am
by Rtorres2411
The boat is looking great 8)
https://youtu.be/x6BIr0Kq0Bs

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:28 am
by GuyP
Thanks. I had looked at that one on BBC. When looking again from your link a series from Red Barn Boats popped up that’s just what I was looking for. 👍

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:45 am
by piperdown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jHUI0CiYbs

This guy, Andy, has some great video's.

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:18 pm
by GuyP
Taped outside seams: 2 layers transom and keel, one layer chines. Plan on laying cloth tomorrow. Roller sure works better than 6 inch plastic scraper. Plastic on bow is holding down some glass strands where I had to make a couple tapered cuts.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:29 am
by Fuzz
Tape job looks really good. I am betting this is going to be a nice boat :wink:

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:00 am
by Browndog
Good Job! Way to go.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:35 am
by Jeff
Nice work Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:41 am
by piperdown
Very clean and neat taping job, looks great :D

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:41 pm
by GuyP
Thanks for the encouraging words. Following Jordy’s (Browndog’s) lead. I’m glassing the hull in 1/4 sections. Chines and keel will have an extra layer this way and I’ll use the remnants for interior below sole work. Took me about 90 minutes to wet out this panel which is about all I want to role out in one session.

Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:45 pm
by GuyP
85 degrees this noontime. Taking this tip I found somewhere on the Forum and have my resin/hardener on a little ice. Using slow hardener and mixing 6 oz at a time it’s rolling out with plenty of working time.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:34 pm
by GuyP
Exterior hull glassing complete!!!!! 99 hours into it. Used 3 and 3/4 gallons of mixed epoxy. My wife Lyn helped lay out the 20 ft sections of cloth and move the butt joined panels to the jig. Scaling the plan back 5% was not too difficult. Exercised a few of those stagnant brain cells.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:45 pm
by OrangeQuest
Looking good and ready for sanding!

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:16 pm
by Browndog
Sanding, Yeah! :D

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:53 pm
by GuyP
So I guess a random orbital is the way to go. I’ll need to educate myself on what’s next. I’ll be installing wooden spray rails and strikes and glassing them. So I’d think that’s next. Don’t see a tutorial on filling weave and fairing. I believe that’s what all that wood flour and blended filler that comes in the kits is for. Where should I look to move forward?

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:39 pm
by piperdown
GuyP wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:53 pm So I guess a random orbital is the way to go. I’ll need to educate myself on what’s next. I’ll be installing wooden spray rails and strikes and glassing them. So I’d think that’s next. Don’t see a tutorial on filling weave and fairing. I believe that’s what all that wood flour and blended filler that comes in the kits is for. Where should I look to move forward?
I don't know the plans for the FS19 (seems like I have a bunch of others). If they are like other plans, attach the spray rails and strakes first, especially if glassing then in place. I know JM doesn't always indicate glassing over the splash rails and strakes but a lot of us do. After that then comes the filling of the weave, but most of us just use fairing compound. You can use neat epoxy for that, just a thin layer if you like. Using the fairing mix stretches the epoxy so you don't end up using so much for filling the weave. The fairing compound BBC sells is glass microballons and fumed silica, no wood flour. Wood flour could be used but it's a much tougher mix and more difficult to sand, and, you're going to be sanding a LOT!
I find their fairing compound easy to use. I'll use it for the first couple of coats and then switch to Quick Fair for the final round as others have done.
As CL often said, the first layer of fairing is thin, meaning not thick. Easy to fill the weave and spread around. The next couple of layers are a bit thicker and meant to build the low spots.

I just started a limited fairing on my GF16. Here you can see the BBC fairing compound I just put on to fill the weave. First coat of many to come and lots of sanding. https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=140

If you don't have one get a flour sifter. The silica has a tendency to clump up. I bought a cheap one at a local grocery store for $3 and it works great. Put about a 2 cups of the fairing mix in the sifter and sift into another container. Use that to mix into the epoxy. It breaks down most of the silica and the rest I push through the mesh by hand, then mix the material with my hands in the second container to evenly disperse the stuff.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:03 pm
by GuyP
Blue tape is location of stringers. Are strikes ok inside the stringers? I know trailer bunks should line up with stringers so strake should be kept clear. Also was thinking they would be 8 ft long and end 8” forward of transom. Does placement sound OK?

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:05 pm
by GuyP
Blue tape is stringer location.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:57 pm
by narfi
Do you plan on glassing those down or just gluing them and epoxy sealing?

If you plan to glass them down, you might consider rounding the corner over before you glue it down. I did it afterwords, and had trouble getting my router to fit against the edge there. You need a rounded edge for the glass to lay over, then once glassed build the the sharpened edge back up (if you want it sharp).

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:06 pm
by piperdown
narfi wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:57 pm Do you plan on glassing those down or just gluing them and epoxy sealing?

If you plan to glass them down, you might consider rounding the corner over before you glue it down. I did it afterwords, and had trouble getting my router to fit against the edge there. You need a rounded edge for the glass to lay over, then once glassed build the the sharpened edge back up (if you want it sharp).
Oh Lord YES! do all the shaping prior to gluing them down if you plan on glassing them. Lesson learned from my runners. Would have been much easier to do all the rounding and shaping first, even if I wasn't going to glass them.

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:06 pm
by GuyP
I should have mentioned that they’d be glassed. Thanks for tip. I will round before gluing down. Does placement as well as 8’ length look ok?

Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:34 pm
by piperdown
GuyP wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:06 pm I should have mentioned that they’d be glassed. Thanks for tip. I will round before gluing down. Does placement as well as 8’ length look ok?
It does, although I think optimum is 10-12 inches from the transom for water flow.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:51 am
by GuyP
Type of cloth best for covering strakes and spray rails?

I glued pre-routed strakes in place using braces to ceiling joists. I then filleted joints and covered in 12 oz tape. I plan on gluing on spray rails using temporary screws.

What’s the best material for covering spray rails? I’ll need to fill a few soft spots on strakes where cloth is not solidly against the wood. On hand I have 6 inch wide 12 oz tape, 12 oz cloth and 4 inch 6 oz tape on hand. I don’t think the 4 inch tape will be wide enough for the rails.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:11 am
by GuyP
PS: I also have 6 oz 50 inch wide biaxial which I could cut strips.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:36 pm
by narfi
I wanted mine to be pretty abrasion resistant. So I overlapped two layers of 12oz tape 6" wide.

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:10 pm
by GuyP
Temporarily fit the spray rails. Will glue in place and fillet tomorrow.

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:27 am
by Salty F17
Looking good so for

Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:32 pm
by GuyP
Thanks Salty. A general question for all: should I apply neat epoxy to the edges of taped and overlapped seams before beginning fairing with blended filler mix? Some edge fibers were loosened up with the initial sanding. Strakes and splash rails have been glassed. When I finish sanding I think I’m ready to start fairing. I’m finished with right half of bottom panels in this pick.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:55 am
by pee wee
GuyP wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:32 pm A general question for all: should I apply neat epoxy to the edges of taped and overlapped seams before beginning fairing with blended filler mix? Some edge fibers were loosened up with the initial sanding.
It sounds like you could answer this question for yourself! If your first coat of fairing is a thin coat of epoxy/woodflour to fill the weave, then that should suffice to glue down those loose fibers in the same process.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:18 pm
by GuyP
Hank

Was thinking that way just wanting confirmation. Hate to think about getting a later of something down and finding out later otherwise. I’ll be using BBC blended filler.

Thanks

Guy

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:20 pm
by GuyP
GuyP wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:18 pm Hank

Was thinking that way just wanting confirmation. Hate to think about getting a layer of something down and finding out later otherwise. I’ll be using BBC blended filler.

Thanks

Guy

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:25 pm
by Chuck H
Hi Guy,

I'm going to recommend sanding your loose fibers all the way off rather than trying to stick them down. If it's just the edge, there's no reason for them to be there. If it goes deeper you may need to fill in with a scrap of tape. Sanding shouldn't loosen any fibers.

Chuck

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 pm
by GuyP
Chuck

It is just a couple edges. Where transom/bottom panel meet with 2 layers of cloth on transom and 2 layers tape on joint meet the one layer of cloth on the bottom. I could have staggered my layers better. I’ll do more sanding before I fill.

Thanks

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:25 am
by GuyP
Hull complete with strakes and spray rails cloth covered and sanded. I’m adding laminated rub rail and will be sharpening edges before fairing. I’m considering building the faces of rub rails more vertical (as compared to water surface) as I’ll be attaching molded black rubber Taco rails to edge of wooden rails closest to water.

How much benefits will I get by sharpening spray rails as opposed to leaving them rounded? They have a slight downward slant as compared to chine angle.

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:03 pm
by narfi
Hehe I like your clamps.

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:11 pm
by GuyP
Saw em first on this forum. Maybe one of your posts???

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 am
by Jeff
Nice progress GuyP!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:36 am
by narfi
GuyP wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:11 pm Saw em first on this forum. Maybe one of your posts???
Maybe but I'm not the original... I saw them somewhere on here before i used them.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:54 am
by GuyP
Ready to start fairing!!! Thanks for all the input so far. I’ll be using BBC blended filler to start. One remaining question: how soon after the filler sets up will I be able to start sanding? I believe I saw somewhere that sanding is best before it fully cures.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:44 am
by Salty F17
GuyP wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:54 am Ready to start fairing!!! Thanks for all the input so far. I’ll be using BBC blended filler to start. One remaining question: how soon after the filler sets up will I be able to start sanding? I believe I saw somewhere that sanding is best before it fully cures.
What i did when i use the bbc blend was put it on in the am came back the next am and sanded it a lil bit to smooth it out some then started the next coat and sanded the highs then switch to the quikfair to finish the fairing or you could put on one coat wait till it starts to get tacky to the touch and start the next coat of bbc blend without sanding once you start to get a few coats on and dry add a guild coat to start sanding with a long board or your ro sander to see the high a low spots that you may need to add a lil bit of fairing in the low spot only

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:15 am
by GuyP
First filler coat on right side bottom panel. Used 6” plastic trowel at near 90 degrees. Used three batches of 3 pumps each. Look reasonable to you guys?

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:48 am
by pee wee
GuyP wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:15 am First filler coat on right side bottom panel. Used 6” plastic trowel at near 90 degrees. Used three batches of 3 pumps each. Look reasonable to you guys?

Yes, that looks very good. I like how you were careful and applied neatly (or at least cleaned up while wet). If you leave a lump, you have to sand the lump. If you own or can make wider spreaders for your subsequent coats, it'll be good.

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:53 pm
by Salty F17
Yep look right so far, fill the weave and ut will start to take shape ,take a look at my build you will see how it will start to look as u progress

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:57 am
by Jeff
Nice work GuyP!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:52 pm
by Browndog
Looking good Guy!

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:15 pm
by GuyP
Thanks for y’all’s help and encouragement. Hope to have first coat completed later today or tomorrow.

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 pm
by GuyP
Quik Fair applications for filling obvious low areas at tape joints and weave filling is complete. Next steps 1) finish up this round of sanding, 2) additional fairing of rails and keel, 3) apply graphite powder quite coat and fill low spots, 4) prime with System 3 Yacht Primer.

My Question: if I decide to coat the bottom with epoxy/graphite, can I do that over the primer?

I intend at this point to use EMC Quantum Polyurethane on the entire hull but want to know my options.

Thanks

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:41 am
by Salty F17
Yes you can appy the graphite over the primer but i would use the s3 primer instead of the emc primer and use the emc paint on top of that

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:29 am
by GuyP
Thanks Salty. I was planning to use S3 primer on either and it’s good to get the confirmation that it works under EMC.

2 part paint measuring question

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 pm
by GuyP
Any tips on pouring out of cans of System 3 Yacht Primer? I’ll be using graduated mix cups and mixing maybe a pint at a time. What’s the best way of getting it out of the cans without making a mess?

Re: 2 part paint measuring question

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:30 pm
by joe2700
GuyP wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 pm Any tips on pouring out of cans of System 3 Yacht Primer? I’ll be using graduated mix cups and mixing maybe a pint at a time. What’s the best way of getting it out of the cans without making a mess?
Holes around the rim for paint to drain back in: Image

The first pour out of a full can always makes a mess but not too bad after that.

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:57 pm
by GuyP
I found these in my Google search for standard gallon and quart cans. Measured my S3 Primer 3.07 liter can and surprised that its same as standard gallon. Must be some room in that can! I may try these spouts for this $100 + per gal paint.
688EE1BB-CE09-4404-9428-99E4F6D5F449.png
. I’ll do the holes also. Thanks Joe

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:26 am
by Browndog
Guy,

Those paint can pour spouts look great. Let us know how they work. I always poured straight out of the can into cups and then cleaned up the top and sides of the cans. Was always messy and led to a fair amount of waste.

Your boat is looking good.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:09 am
by Cbuf
Great tips on the holes in the top of the can. I'm at about the same stage. I think I have one of those pouring helpers. Mine is a bit different and covers only half the can. I'll give it a try if it works I will post it.

Thanks for the tips

Cbuf

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:41 pm
by R00kie
You are going to love those spray rails. I put them on my FS17 and it is the driest 17' boat that I know of

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:16 pm
by GuyP
I bought the half top one, on sale 99 cents, probably work neater without it.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:18 pm
by GuyP
Holes in the rim did help.

Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:32 pm
by GuyP
One coat of S3 Yacht Primer on. Took a little less than a quart. I like working with that stuff. There were only a few pinholes that showed up. A little sanding and coat #2 goes on in a couple days.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:45 am
by OrangeQuest
Looking really good!

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:34 pm
by GuyP
Mom has been around boats a long time, gave this one a 👍 and said it felt smoooooth. Second coat of primer tomorrow morning. These 95 degree afternoons are right at the max for S3 Yacht Primer.

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:10 am
by Jeff
Looking good Guy!! Glad your mom enjoys the boats as well!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:32 pm
by Browndog
Way to go Guy. Hard to beat a Mother’s thumbs up.

System 3 non skid - sprinkle on non skid

Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:47 pm
by GuyP
Anybody had any experience with S3 sprinkle on non skid? I’m considering using on WR- LPU for sole, cast deck, etc.

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:58 am
by GuyP
Topcoat going on! One coat EMC Quantum above spray rails. I believe this stuff is going to work out nicely. 8oz topcoat + 4oz activator + 4oz brushing/rolling reducer covered nicely above spray rails including transom. That was even with me applying too heavily at first on one side. Wasn’t a big deal as I needed to scuff sand before second coat after 48 hrs anyway. A little extra sanding attention took care of a few runs. I applied the second coat and stretched it a little further as it took only about a 6oz topcoat mix. I was able to start first coat on the bottom with the leftover of the 8oz I mixed. Here’s some pics after first coat.

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:38 pm
by cape man
I used the S3 non-skid on the deck of my OD18. I like it, and it works well without being as rough on bare feet and knees as the kiwi grip on some other boats.

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:13 pm
by Jeff
Nice paint GuyP!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:29 pm
by Salty F17
I also use emc( citrus green) it's great paint goes on real easy and is very forgiving if you need to touch up and sand an area 👍🏾

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:01 pm
by GuyP
Salty,

I will have a couple small areas I need to touch up where second coat was too thin. Can I just run the roller over them with a thin coat the next time I’m painting another section?

This stuff is expensive but that quart of topcoat plus activator and reducer will do 2 coats plus on the entire hull exterior. I’ll let the sides/transom cure a few days then tape them off and two coat the bottom panels.

I’m an advocate of this paint so far.

Polishing EMC Quantum

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:07 pm
by GuyP
Literature says imperfections/bugs can be polished out of of this paint after 48 hrs but does not detail how to polish. I expect using a orbital polisher/buffer and some type of compound. Any advice will be appreciated.

Overall I’m pretty impressed with this paint.

Re: Polishing EMC Quantum

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:18 pm
by Salty F17
GuyP wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:07 pm Literature says imperfections/bugs can be polished out of of this paint after 48 hrs but does not detail how to polish. I expect using a orbital polisher/buffer and some type of compound. Any advice will be appreciated.

Overall I’m pretty impressed with this paint.
Sorry i just saw your post all i did was sand in between coats with 220 grit (the light sanding removed the little bugs easy )and rolled and tipped with a 2 inch red tree badger brush that i got from west marine $30 for a paint brush seems high but it lays that paint down nice i highly recommended if you can get your hands on one no need to polish just sand between coats and you'll be fine also do thin coats the paint is great has that candy shell look and feel to it once it is dry

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:22 am
by GuyP
After a once over with polishing compound I’ll be ready to break this puppy away from the molds and flip. Only thing that’s gonna hold me back this are appointments this month with mule deer in Wyoming and whitetails in Georgia. I’m extremely pleased with how the EMC Quantum 99 topcoat turned out. Side photo below looks like my shadow but it’s really my reflection!!!!

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:10 am
by Eric1
Beautiful! :D

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:29 am
by Jeff
Beautiful work Guy!!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:34 pm
by Dutch1
She looks great!

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:18 pm
by GuyP
Fall boat building break. A little more polishing and she’ll be ready to flip. May be mid November due to these kind of pursuits. My first Muley. Let me know if distasteful for this forum. A long way from Georgia.

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:30 pm
by Jeff
Good stuff Guy!!! Congratulations!!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:58 pm
by piperdown
Nice! Where was the muley taken?

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:06 pm
by GuyP
NE of Casper Wyoming. 75 degrees that day. 25 high 3 days later.

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:34 am
by Jeff
Beautiful photo!!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 pm
by piperdown
GuyP wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:06 pm NE of Casper Wyoming. 75 degrees that day. 25 high 3 days later.
Thought that country looked familiar. I grew up in Idaho and my uncle and his family ranch north of Cheyenne.

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:57 pm
by Fuzz
Nice Deer! Those are much bigger animals than the deer we have. Some of the islands around here have transplanted Sitka Blacktails but they are the only deer we have.

Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:32 pm
by GuyP
Thanks fellas.

Eric- surprised there’s not more an bigger deer up there. These are much bigger than whitetails. This one weighed 275. 100 more than my largest.

Piperdown- this was north of I-25 between Casper and Douglas. Beautiful country.

Frames and stringers installation?

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:16 pm
by GuyP
Do I use spacers when tabbing the stringers, frames and bulkheads to the interior of the hull? I’m almost positive the answer is yes but did not find an easy answer in the how to’s. I’ll be flipping in next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:42 am
by jacquesmm
You must avoid hard spots. If the stringers make contact all the way along their edge with no high spots, then you don't need spacers but this is rarely the case.

Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:00 pm
by GuyP
Thanks Jacques 👍

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:51 am
by Eric1
I used bamboo BBQ skewers for spacers. They provided me just enough gap to get the job done.

Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:38 pm
by GuyP
Eric

I’ll try that. I used framing nails for spacing hull panels and transom. Thought they’d probably be too long for interior work.

Polishing EMC 99

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:09 pm
by GuyP
Sides and transom polished and buffed which removed or reduced lightly scattered pin point sized flecks. Hope to get to the bottom tomorrow then pull out the jig and frames.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:19 pm
by Eric1
Nice finish!

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:32 pm
by GuyP
Polishing finished. She’s up on blocks with the jig disassembled. Next step will be assembling some person power together and getting her fitted to the Craig’s list trailer.

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:40 pm
by GuyP
Photos attached

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:16 am
by Jeff
Beautiful finish!!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:11 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
That's a top notch finish! Where are you in ga? I might be volunteering for the flip

Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:50 pm
by GuyP
Love to have you come up and to meet you. I’m about a mile from a east entrance to Stone Mountain Park. It’ll be a couple weeks to let me get a couple weeks into the Georgia deer hunting season.

I’ll send you a pm when I’m getting near to see what. Suits you if you are interested.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:43 am
by Cbuf
After you flip tape and cover the hull. Even do it in a double layer. I left my hull in primer and covered it sloppily and now I will have to resand a couple parts due to epoxy finger prints and 2 epoxy drips that ran down from something..... not even sure how.

Cbuf

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:50 pm
by GuyP
Great advice Cbuf. Will do.

Flipping Questions

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:15 pm
by GuyP
This will be my first flip of a stitch and glue and certainly my largest. With no structural supports yet besides the laminated rub rails, the hull is very “flexible” around the middle of the sheer. I’ve temporarily attached a couple of 2 x 4 cross braces to the inside of the rub rails side to side at sheer elevation with the thought they will reduce the flexibility. Is this a good or bad idea?

The hull is free of the jig and set up on blocks. It is in a small one car garage so will need to be flipped outside. The hull will be lifted so trailer can be backed under. It will be secured upside down and rolled outside.

i plan to: remove it from the trailer with plenty of human power, set it down on mattresses/padding on soft ground then roll it over onto padding. Then finally lift it onto the trailer providing adequate padding and support.

Does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:17 am
by Eric1
I think it's a good idea. I spot welded my frames with epoxy glue to do the same thing. I think you have a plan. :wink:

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:06 am
by OneWayTraffic
How are you supporting the hull while you glass the inside?

Your trailer bunks look large enough but since the FS19 has a warped deadrise they may not make even contact. It would be a shame to distort the hull after all that work getting fair.

I know it's more work but I would look into making a cradle or providing some more even support at least until you have the inside glass and stringers in.

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:46 am
by Browndog
Guy,

We had thirteen people to flip the FS19 that I built. We rolled the jig out onto the driveway. The trailer was already on the driveway. Ten of us lifted up the boat off of the jig, three others rolled it out from under the boat. We flipped the boat in the air and put it down on the trailer. Then we rolled the trailer back into the garage. All told it took longer to describe to all the people what we were going to do than what we actually did.

I had blankets and pillows set up on the ground to put the boat down on, but they weren’t necessary at all.

There was pizza and beer for all the helpers. It took longer to eat and drink than to flip the boat.

The only problem we had was that I got a crack in the rubrail near the bow from an overly enthusiastic helper using too much force to lift the boat off of the jig. It was easy to fix though.

I was much more worried than I need to be.

The trailer bunks weren’t perfectly set up for the boat but they were adjustable. Later in the build I lifted the boat off the trailer with an overhead hoist and readjusted the bunks.

Good luck with your flip. Congratulations on getting to this point.

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:32 am
by joe2700
I flipped my FS17 with 3 people and I hadn't installed any rub rail yet. I had fully glassed the outside all the way up. It bent the side a lot when we put the full weight on the edge mid flip, but it's just flexible not weak. Popped right back to shape as soon as the weight was off. Maybe not the safest way to do it but the hull is strong and light at that point. Don't see any harm in adding some bracing, just not sure its necessary.

I would echo concerns about putting it on a trailer instead of a cradle before the inside glass, stingers, and frames are in. The hull is pretty flexible as I said, and I think it would be easy for the trailer bunks to distort the shape. Then your stringers or frames might not fit well, or you could make the shape permanent. I'd suggest a cradle shaped to the hull until all structure below the sole is done, then you could move it to the trailer.

Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:42 pm
by Eric1
Also make sure you support the hull in the cradle as far toward the bow as possible. I thought I had but the shims loosened as I was installing the stringers. Trust me, you really don't want those issues. See my build Eric's C21 in Power boats. :(

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:00 am
by GuyP
I’d pretty well thought I’d need to beef up the support to make sure frames and stringers are lined up and hull doesn’t flex under my weight while working inside. After disassembling the jig, I temporarily mounted the aft three frames separated at plan dimensions on the bunks and adjusted the bunk bend so baseline was straight. After getting the hull right side up on the trailer, I’ll roll it back inside, put trailer on blocks to eliminate any leaf spring bounce. I’ll then add whatever supports needed to get frames and stringers lining up correctly. If I’m not satisfied it’s back to intended shape I’ll suspend the hull with straps to the rafters, remove the trailer and go with the cradle set up.

I’m sure I’m overthinking it. I think there will be plenty of adjustments made to get the supports where they need to be. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll have it securely mounted upside down on trailer so I can get it outside for the flip in the near future.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:29 am
by R00kie
I flipped my FS17 over the transom axis. Almost no stress that way

A Flipping Success

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:40 pm
by GuyP
Had my son and 2 friends stop by to help me get it upside down on trailer. It went so well we gat some assistance of three athletic ladies and we went ahead and flipped. It went very nicely. I’ll attempt to post some videos one at a time. The series will include:
1- loading it upside down on trailer
2- unloading it in the yard
3- flipping
4- loading it right side up on the trailer

It’s gonna take a little work but plan to shape a cradle under it while on the trailer. Here goes lading the first video. Oops did not succeed. I’ll post some stills.

Any video posting suggestions?

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:42 pm
by GuyP
Pulled it outside for some room.

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:45 pm
by GuyP
Set it on the soft ground.

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:47 pm
by GuyP
Pre flip

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:53 pm
by GuyP
Flipping

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:56 pm
by GuyP
Flipping

Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:58 pm
by GuyP
The crew, few but driven!

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:16 am
by changeat44
Well done! Congratulations with the flip!
One step closer.....

Daniel

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:19 am
by Fuzz
Congratulations on the flip. Seems like the more you worry over it the less drama that happens. I do note you had your own medical personal on site if needed :lol:

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:36 am
by Browndog
You passed a big milestone! Way to go.

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:50 pm
by GuyP
Thanks fellas. Next up is providing a little more stabilization on the trailer.

Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:52 pm
by GuyP
Photo is looking down at interior of port/transom hull corner. I know that long void in the joint needs filling. Is it ok to fill with a long wooden wedge epoxied in place and then finish wit a fillet? It would save a lot of putty that way.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:52 am
by Browndog
Whenever there were gaps, no matter how large, on the FS19 that I built they were filled with EZ Fillet. It is my opinion that the fillet putty would do a better job of filling the gaps and be more able to conform to the space to be filled, while also providing a smooth sandable transition. If you apply fiberglass tape to the gap while the putty is still wet, the transition pretty much disappears.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:34 am
by joe2700
I agree just filling it with putty which you need to put there anyway for the fillet would be easiest and probably best. If you are really trying to stretch your epoxy and want to do the piece of wood I would do it at the same time as the fillet. Put a little putty in the gap, push in your filler wood, then apply more putty and form your fillet. If you just glue in a piece of wood and apply putty on top I think you're pretty likely to have voids. The amount of epoxy in that void isn't going to be much compared to the fillet itself unless that picture is deceiving, don't think it's worth the effort.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:37 pm
by GuyP
Thanks fellas. Just knowing I’ll be running low on epox eventually and I’m basically cheep (ask Lyn) unless it about out west hunt trips or boats. I’ll probably use the epox/wood flour mix. I’ve got plenty of flour for sure.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:42 pm
by Dan_Smullen
With Reid’s piping bag trick, it will be satisfying dispersement of goo.

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:47 pm
by GuyP
Can you direct me to where I can find that? I remember seeing it somewhere but can’t place it.

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:16 am
by Jeff
GuyP, Please find Reid's recommendation at the below link:

Link: https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=130

Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:50 pm
by GuyP
Thanks Jeff. I’ll be using some bags tomorrow.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:33 pm
by GuyP
Got one interior chine joint filleted and taped yesterday. Temperature will be 40 degrees colder tomorrow morning than this morning so I held off on epoxy work today. Boat’s sitting with transom and base line level on the trailer which is without wheels, up on blocks and reinforced with a number of temporary cradles.

Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:09 pm
by narfi
Looks good to me!

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:56 am
by changeat44
Nice pictures, very neat work!

Daniel

Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:57 am
by Jeff
Good stuff Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:53 pm
by GuyP
It really feels big now that I’m working on the upright hull. Getting down to the high 30’s so switched to fast hardener and applying some heat. I like doing this glass work where it will be beneath the sole with no sanding/finishing required.

Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:48 pm
by Browndog
Nice! Yes it does feel big when you have to climb in and out. Good clean work. After fairing, sanding and painting it is a relief to have a break from it for a little while.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:35 pm
by GuyP
I think I’d like the look better if the top of the transom was built up to match the thickness with the clamping boards. I’d laminate these pieces in place before I lay up two layers of glass. Does anyone know any reason I should NOT do this besides a little extra weight?

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:02 am
by Eric1
I agree with you GuyP, I'd add them. :D
That weight add is nothing.

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:06 am
by Browndog
Guy,

Here is what the finished rear deck/transom area looked like on my brother’s FS 19 before the non skid was applied:

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:02 pm
by GuyP
That looks very nice that way Jordy. After seeing yours I like them equally. This is one of many finishing touches I’ll run by Lyn. She as (well me) is focused on this build being comfortable and “not looking home made”. I used your build thread with her as a selling point. Thanks for reposting.

Unrelated except that it’s why I’ve slowed down on the build, the spike buck (center right behind fork in tree trunks) laid here for 38 minutes after chasing the doe around for 2 hrs. :doh: maybe not unrelated, even beasts of the woods are concerned about impressing their better halves.

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:10 pm
by GuyP
Photo attached

Epoxy cure temp question????

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:13 am
by GuyP
My FS19 build is in a detached single garage. Looking at the epoxy cure time/temp charts, I believe I’m ok as long as I maintain at least 40 degrees Fahrenheit while curing (2 to 3 days). I won’t be able to heat the entire space due to limited power to the building. I can although cover with tarps and keep the temp above 40 with small space heaters since I’m working on the interior of the boat. Sound ok?

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:53 am
by Jeff
Guy, do a few tests and lets get the results before you do something major!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:57 am
by Browndog
I have never had a problem with the epoxy not curing during the winter here in Georgia, it just took longer. It definitely took longer to get hard enough to sand though. But it also gave me more working time compared to the summer when I had to race to beat the epoxy from kicking too fast. I much preferred to work on the boat projects during the cooler months.

Keeping your jugs of epoxy in a warm place will make a big difference on the viscosity as well as speed up the curing time. This can really make a difference when trying to wet out fiberglass cloth and tape.

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:00 pm
by GuyP
Jeff: I did some interior taping with outside temps in high 30’s and the fast hardener. Little space heater must have done the job as all has set up nicely and is sandable. I guess I’ll use that as my test! I’m sure I can keep temp at least 50. Jordy is a little south of me but it still gets pretty cold in Brunswick.

Jordy: on previous lapstrake epoxy glued boats I’m sure I worked in mild winter with those. I like the longer working time too.

Thanks fellas

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:29 pm
by joe2700
Nice thing about epoxy is that if it's too cold to finish curing, it will cure once the temp rises again. It can be hard to work with cold epoxy due to the viscosity though. If you work through the winter at the lower end of the temp range, I would recommend a "post cure" before you fair or paint. Use a heater on a warm day with your tarps to get the temp up to over 100, exact temp depends on the epoxy. This will make sure everything is fully cured before you paint, or after you are all done and have it out in the sun it may finish curing and you may see print through of what's under the paint.

I'd also recommend one of the forced air propane heaters that run off a BBQ tank. They will get the place nice and hot when needed on just the electricity of a fan. Do get a CO detector if you go that route though.

Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:44 pm
by Jeff
Good stuff Guy!!! Glad the test went well!!! I had forgot you had some Fast hardener!!!! Have a good weekend, Jeff

Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:16 pm
by GuyP
My first sna-foo. “Graduated” mix cup ml markings were sorely off (NOT purchased from BBC). Instead of a 2 to 1 resin/fast hardener mix, the inaccurate scale resulted in 2 to 1 1/2. Cloth was stiffening up quickly and foam roller started SMOKING. I cut out the section of cloth I had just applied and had to pull hard to get it off the hull. It was rock hard stiff in 30 minutes. I resumed using the resin pumps I’d been using successfully since day one and all was well. Red circle is where I had removed the quickly stiffening glass. I’m hoping the mis-mixed resin will sand off in a day or so.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:27 pm
by Cbuf
Been there. In just about the same spot. It doesn't sand well, I went through about 10 40 grit pads trying to get the tacky glass off. It goos up the sand paper quickly. For me it was about a 4-6 hour mistake.

What I found is you only make that mistake once.

Cbuf

Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:41 am
by Jeff
Sorry Guy, but it does sound like it was only a small error. I hope it cleans-up easily!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:53 pm
by GuyP
The mix error cured hard and sanded away nicely. Back at it. Only one narrow strip to cover on the bottom and second transom layer to go. I’m looking forward to installing the stringers and frames.

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:58 am
by BarraMan
I only ever had one (1) issue with epoxy during my build. I don't know why, but in the middle of a large "glassing" run I started having trouble wetting out the glass due to what appeared to be the epoxy going off too fast.

In a bit of a panic, I ripped out the glass cloth while I still could - and went and had a little lie down!

Next day I sanded the affected area - and re-glassed with no further issues! :D

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:51 am
by GuyP
BarraMan that was a large area of glass compared to mine. I’m sure my issue was using 50% more hardener than I should have in the mix. It went off FAST.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:05 pm
by GuyP
Last layer of glass applied to the the transom and using tarted heat to keep the cure warm. Will start installing stringers and frames later this week. It feels good working with wood again after a long relationship with class cloth, resin and a sander.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:19 pm
by GuyP
GuyP wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:05 pm Last layer of glass applied to the the transom and using tarped heat to keep the cure warm. Will start installing stringers and frames later this week. It feels good working with wood again after a long relationship with class cloth, resin and a sander.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:21 pm
by GuyP
Last transom layer curing!

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:56 pm
by GuyP
I’ll be tabbing in the interior structures tomorrow after making sure everything is square and level with no hard spots.

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:38 am
by Jeff
Guy, I found your thread without a problem, can you not see it? Jeff

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:39 am
by GuyP
Yea thanks. Know now I need to speed up the splash and get listed in the Build Threads section :lol:

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:24 am
by GuyP
Frames, stringers and motorwell taping complete. On to the under sole conduit and foam.

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:53 am
by Jeff
Nice, clean work Guy!!! Good progress, Jeff

Fuel tank filler hose question

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:08 am
by GuyP
My tank will be in the console, specified as the preferred location in the plans. Using standard uscg 1 1/2” hose my preferred filler location is on the port coaming at frame B junction (see red arrow). The hose will be approximately 10 ft long and there will be approximately 20 inches of elevation difference (as measured from the baseline) to the hose connection on the top of tank. Red line on diagram is my routing plan.

Any potential problems come to mind?

Merry Christmas 🎄🎁

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:11 pm
by cape man
I fear that will not work if the fill line goes from the gunwale, below the deck, and then up to the top of the tank where the inlet barb is. You will almost certainly get an airlock in the fuel line where it comes in above the tank so the fuel won't flow . While you may have 20" from the side of the boat (gunwale) to the top of the tank,the hose will be below the deck, is going to curve up and then down to get in the tank. The other issue is, even if you can vent the top of the line or push the airlock out when filling, there will always be some fuel sitting in that line below the deck. I would put the fill and vent on the side or top of the console if you are dead set on having the tank under it. While some will argue against that, there's really no difference between that and a portable tank on the deck.

I did find this, not totally helpful but a similar discussion...

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... nsole.html

Someone else may have a much better recommendation... 8) 8)

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:28 pm
by Dougster
I agree with Cape Man. Seems like the hose would be like a P trap, with some fuel forever sitting in the low spot. I've read things against it, but I'd put it in the console too. Let's hear what others think.

Dougster

Fuel hose routing

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:55 pm
by GuyP
Thanks fellas. The reason I thought that would be ok as the preferred location plan view shows it running from gunwale to the console but just from a closer location. Trapped fuel would still be a reality. It would be flushed out with each filling but I can see a possible air lock. Hopefully Jacques will comment.

The tank will be isolated from the console compartment with any electrical connections with epoxy glass taped partitions.

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:58 pm
by Fuzz
Fuel tanks on small boats are a real problem if they are built in. Both the fill and vent are supposed to drain overboard. So how is that done and still not let any fuel hit the water and pollute :doh: And like CapeMan said if you run the fill line under the deck you get either an air lock or trapped fuel or both. You can put the fuel in the bow and solve some of this but then you have that balance thing with variable weights. I would love to hear how to do it and not have one or more of these problems.

Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:13 pm
by GuyP
Jeff has asked Jacques to comment. I’m holding off on proposing other ideas until I hear from him.

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:51 pm
by joe2700
I'm a little behind in posting progress but I put the the fill and vent in the side of my console. Clearly any spills will end up inside the boat, but as a fully sealed sole outboard powered boat that doesn't seem dangerous to me. The fuel can't make it into the bilge, and even if it could there is no ignition source down there. I feel like that regulation is more meant for and important for inboard powered boats. A large spill would just go out the scuppers into the water just like if they were on the gunnel. Seems at least as safe as non-permantant tank most boats this size run.

I'll get my console progress posted in the next few days as there is a good bit on fitting the fuel system. If anyone has legitimate concerns with the fuel fill being on the console in an FS17/FS19 type boat, I'd genuinely love to hear why.

Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:42 pm
by GuyP
Thanks Joe. I looked at your thread, was looking good at your last pic back in September. I have decided to put a smaller tank (23 gals) forward between frame A & Bulkhead B. That way I won’t have to worry about fuel pooling in the fill line and can still have the fill port on the gunwale. Hope you can post more pics soon.

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:22 am
by Browndog
My friend’s Carolina skiff has a plastic tank under his center console. There is no external fuel fill, just a cap on the tank. It is easy to check the fuel level as the tank is translucent and the front of his console is open. His fuel gauge isn’t working, but not really necessary with his set-up.

We were fishing one day together in his boat and I smelled gas. The fuel hose going to the fuel/water filter had worn through at the inlet fitting and was spraying fuel into the bilge. There was no clamp on the hose either, just an old zip tie that couldn’t be loosened as the tail was cut off. Soon there was fuel sloshing around on the deck around our feet. Luckily we were able to loosen a usable zip tie holding some wires together and then use it as a temporary hose clamp. We were all terrified that the boat would catch fire some how and we’d all burn up. Got off the water fast and pulled the drain plug. Washed out the boat with soap. Put the boat back in and had a good day of fishing. He fixed it after we were done cleaning the fish.

I learned that day why it is the best practice to use double hose clamps on all fuel fittings. Also learned how useful zip ties can be in an emergency and carry some in the boat and truck now.

I think the tank location in the front is a good solution. Especially if you plan on adding to the rear deck or adding more weight to the boat than designed as I did.

Looking good!

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:27 pm
by GuyP
Thanks Jordy

Ordered the 23 gallon yesterday. Gotta be careful with gasoline. I’ll enjoy having the entire console console for storage. I don’t plan to add structure to the rear deck. I’ll probably have a jump seat next to each gunwale.

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:34 pm
by Browndog
The fuel tank in the Egret 189 that I have is located in the same area as where you are putting yours.

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 pm
by GuyP
That looks ALOT like the Evans Bros FS19. What size fuel tank’s in her?

Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:24 am
by Browndog
40 Gallon in the Egret and 35 Gallon in the Evans Brothers FS 19. The Egret has a 150 HP and the FS 19 has a 115 HP. Both are Yamaha Four Strokes.

Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:00 pm
by jacquesmm
It is designed to have the fill on the console. I know about the USCG vent rule but that type of installation is common.
If that worries you, install a separate overboard vent.

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:55 pm
by GuyP
After a couple week Christmas/planning break, I worked out some important details. 23 gallon fuel tank will be on a platform between frames A and B below a bench seat. Tank fill and vent will be on top and side of port forward gunwale. I’ll raise the sole about an inch with self bailing drain tubing and in line scuppers routed through motor well bulkhead and out the hull sides. All control/fuel conduits are routed between the stringers but will swing port under motor well then out the side of the splash well. Outside the full length of the stringers will be foam filled with the exception of a small area for access to cockpit drainage plumbing. Taking shape!!!

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:24 am
by Jeff
Nice GuyP!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:16 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Clean and tidy plumbing!

Installing cleats using air nailer?

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:02 pm
by GuyP
It’s probably not recommend to spot nail cleats to stringers and frames (definitely not to the hull :help: ) for temporary hold while the epoxy glue dries. Does anyone advocate this practice.

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:44 pm
by Fuzz
It is not recommended to leave metal fasteners in the wood. That being said maybe something like the plastic Raptor nails or staples might be no problem.

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:02 am
by BrianC
Why not just a few dots of hot melt to hold them in place while the epoxy sets?

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:00 am
by GuyP
Thanks for the guidance and ideas. I think I’ll cut some thinner pvc pipe strip clamps. They worked nicely for the rub rail (pic included). The thinner ones will open up a little wider for the cleats.

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:46 pm
by GuyP
I used what clamps I had and pvc spring clamps did not provide enough support. Ended up using temporary wood screws to hold cleats in place (stringers and floor frames) while glue sets up. Will remove later tonight before epoxy fully cures. I’ll fill screw holes before laying the sole.

Underside of sole epoxy resin coated?

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:29 pm
by GuyP
I’ve seen it noted on the forum that all components under the sole need to be coated with resin if not already fiberglass covered. How about the underside of the actual sole panels? I could not find it mentioned anywhere in the plans/building notes.

Re: Underside of sole epoxy resin coated?

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:35 pm
by OrangeQuest
GuyP wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:29 pm I’ve seen it noted on the forum that all components under the sole need to be coated with resin if not already fiberglass covered. How about the underside of the actual sole panels? I could not find it mentioned anywhere in the plans/building notes.
Yes, it is to seal them up and so the underside of the sole needs to be sealed too.

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:54 pm
by OneWayTraffic
That's true of all Mertens designs. Every bit of wood in the boat epoxy coated. Only exceptions might be a hardwood rubrail or something removable.

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:40 pm
by GuyP
This boat’s getting close to getting a real sole! Last of the cleats were installed today. I decided to add a 1 x 3 sole support beam in each of the 3 large under sole compartments that won’t be covered by the console. Tomorrow I’ll remove the temporary cleat bracing, add the sole beams and coat a few remaining areas with epoxy. Looks like 70 degree temperatures this week will be good for foam expansion with just a little additional heat.

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:25 am
by Jeff
Nice work Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:59 am
by Browndog
Looking good!

Are you going to pour flotation foam under the sole on the outside of the stringers?

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:26 pm
by GuyP
Yes. Plus several cubic feet in the point of the bow and one ft3 in each transom corner. Should be about 14 ft3 in all. I’ve have 16 ft3 of liquid mix if it gets to full expansion. We have 70 degree days this week. I should be able to get the temp up to 80 in my little shop. Probably TMI but this is really getting enjoyable.

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:01 pm
by GuyP
GuyP wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:26 pm Yes. Plus several cubic feet in the point of the bow and one ft3 in each transom corner. Should be about 14 ft3 in all. I have 16 ft3 of liquid mix if it gets to full expansion. We have 70 degree days this week. I should be able to get the temp up to 80 in my little shop. Probably TMI but this is really getting enjoyable.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:09 am
by Browndog
Pouring the foam is a fun thing to do.

It takes a little practice to learn how much time to mix the two components before pouring and then how much to put in each section.

Use cheap plastic cups and gloves for mixing because the flotation foam is extremely sticky and will not come off of whatever you mix it in.

It is amazing how much the stuff grows when it starts to expand. The warmth makes it go faster and grow bigger too. Keeping the bottles in a warm area also will help.

It really stiffens the boat up and provides good support for the sole. Also provides insulation and sound deadening.

Once it starts growing there is a temptation to hurry, but take your time and make sure the measuring and mix is right. One guy told me to “go slow quickly, because once it is in, it is in”.

Very difficult to remove, so make 100% certain there is nothing else you need to do in those compartments, then enjoy the show!

Get the kids or grandkids involved, they will get a big kick out of the foam. Just make sure they don’t get it on themselves.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:42 pm
by GuyP
Jordy: saw your response after a full day pouring foam. I think it all worked out pretty well. I’ll get some pics posted soon. Grandsons are both under 2 and will enjoy stomping around on that foam pretty soon.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:18 pm
by GuyP
Productive day mixing and pouring foam. Propane heater in the shop and foam cans in a sink full of warm water helped the get good expansion.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:41 am
by Jeff
Nice work Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:16 pm
by GuyP
Progress continues.

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:52 pm
by GuyP
Sole is glued down. When I get all that ugly weight out of her tomorrow she’s gonna be big and beautiful. 34 degrees in the morning. Tented with two heaters and a circulation fan will keep the glue near 60 degrees. The fast hardener should be ok down to 40. I’m about 10 months into the build.

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:48 am
by piperdown
Looking good Guy! :D

Huge milestone when getting the sole down!

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:11 am
by cape man
Really nice, very neat, and solid work! Huge step!

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:20 am
by Jeff
Great progress Guy!!! Good planning & testing as well!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:59 am
by GuyP
Thanks fellas! 37 degree low here this morning. Tent, 2 space heaters on medium and fan to move air kept temp near the sole at 75 this morning.

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:30 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Sweet! Definite milestone!

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:34 pm
by GuyP
She is certainly big, beautiful and SOLID! Feels good to be lounging on a spacious sole.

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:36 am
by Jeff
Nice Guy!!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:59 pm
by GuyP
First hatch lid looks to be a success! One of five is roughed out (not including console). Lots of sanding and shaping to go. Thanks to Browndog for friendly cutting out advice. After several attempts at making a hinge recess template, careful freehand routing of a pencil traced hinge outline did the trick.

Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:20 pm
by Jeff
Nice work GuyP!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:01 am
by Browndog
Looking good!

It is more work to make flush hatches and to recess the hinges, but the end result will be well worth it.

It is these small details that really separate a build from just purely functional to a work of art.

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:01 pm
by GuyP
Decks are ready to install as soon as I have the hatches and fuel talk prepared that they will cover. Waiting on a delivery of a fuel tank fitting tomorrow. Cutting holes in a beautiful hull seams sacrilegious but certainly necessary.

Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:44 am
by Jeff
Nice work Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:15 pm
by GuyP
Puttied, taped and sanded all of the deck and sole seams. Cleaned up the hatch gutters and gutter drain ports. Vacuumed all the dust and ready to fit the side frames and gunwales with my last 1/2 gallon of epoxy. I’ve got 3 more gallons of epoxy on the way which should be enough to tape and fair the gunwales, rub rails, hatches, decks and build the console. Moving along nicely.

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:43 am
by Jeff
Nice progress Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:35 pm
by Browndog
Looking good!

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:00 am
by Eric1
Very Nice! :)

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:09 pm
by GuyP
She looks a little rough as I’ve not shined her up for the pictures. Side frames are glassed in place and gunwales are rough tacked in. I’ll be gluing in cleats and more gunwale supports tomorrow and working out final placement. Rough edges will be smoothed in pretty soon.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:12 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Nice! Gunwales looking fair and wide!

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:38 am
by Eric1
That looks good! Keep building!

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:54 am
by Jeff
Nice work Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:19 pm
by Browndog
Sweet!

The Gunwales really put the custom touch on the boat.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:35 pm
by GuyP
Tapered width 1 1/2 inches starting 7 feet back to the bow. Cleaned her up then glued gunwales in place after I took these pics. Will start vertical interior trim edge, bracing and cleats tomorrow after glue sets.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:46 am
by Eric1
Very nice! :D

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:36 am
by Jeff
Nice work Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:02 pm
by GuyP
Gunwale skirting (if that’s a correct term) main two long runs are fit in place. Side in the pic is glued in using temporary finishing nails and a few clamps to hold it true. When glue is set I’ll add short gunwale supports between the frames. I have a good supply of material to keep on building In case supply chain gets bogged up. One of my three runs up the Oconee River found the hybrids, stripers and a couple of two pound white bass (those are big ones) congregating at the base of the dam upstream. Catching fish a boat building great ways to practice isolating myself.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:18 pm
by GuyP
I stood back and looked at this when I finished this section and said oh man! I built the gunwale to over hang the side trim piece by about 1/8 inch knowing I was gonna eventually round that joint. Decided to try a router with a edge rounding bit that has a ball bearing tip to limit the amount it digs in. It cut off that overhang perfectly. Just needed a few minutes touch up with the orbital sander. Prettiest thing I’ve seen since the flip when I covered that beautiful hull exterior in plastic. Excitement that made me forget about Corona for a bit.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 pm
by cape man
That is sweet, and nice fish! The skirt is called an inwale.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 pm
by cape man
That is sweet, and nice fish! The skirt is called an inwale.

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:38 pm
by Jeff
Nice work and great catch Guy!!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:13 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Social distancing done right!

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:13 am
by Browndog
Looking good Guy!.

The gunwale with the inwale looks awesome. Really gives it that custom boat look and feel.

Way to go.

Regards,
Jordy

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:28 pm
by GuyP
Thanks Jordy. Your help has be essential.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:12 pm
by GuyP
Gulwale/inwale seam rounded, sanded, putty filled and covered with tape as well as inwale seams with fore and aft decks. The inside of this gal is shaping up.

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:06 am
by Jeff
Clean work Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:10 pm
by GuyP
Another good use for PVC PIPE CLAMPS . Beefing up the 1/4” inwale with a rounded 1” wide strip of 1/2” ply. I like he feel of that 3/4” edge.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:07 pm
by Jeff
Nice Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:16 pm
by GuyP
Hatch lids are fitted and functional!!!! Sanded and evened up and soon to be filling and rounding the outboard side of the gunwales. Next I guess I’ll be fairing and finishing all of the interior except for the sole. I want to have the console ready to tab and tape in before finishing the sole.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:17 am
by Jeff
Very well done Guy!!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:45 pm
by FluidDynamic
I'm already thinking of hatches on my build. How does the water drain out of those channels?

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:52 pm
by GuyP
The gutters have an outlet to a drained surface. In the last picture the aft hatches pictured drain to the motor well. You can see a small rectangular opening near the upper edge on the far side of the motor well. I’ll gladly give you more details when you’re ready.

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:43 am
by FluidDynamic
I see it on both of them now. Thanks.

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:49 am
by GuyP
Social isolation progress. Rounded, puttied and taped the outboard gunwale edges. Built prototype cardboard console and fitted stainless grab rails repurposed from brother Larry’s demoed Grady White.

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:15 pm
by GuyP
530 actual hands on hours into the build. First coat of blended filler on the gunwales and inwales. First coat of primer on the hatch lids and gutters. I gotta get this thing done before Georgia completely opens up. I’m not getting a tattoo, bowling or getting a haircut any time soon. She’s coming together!!!

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:52 pm
by Jeff
Nice Guy!!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:12 pm
by GuyP
:wink:

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:28 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Great progress! Looks awesome 😎!

Should you need a haircut, nice to know you can get one. But you’re right. That can wait. Keep charging!

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:20 pm
by Browndog
Looking good Guy!

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:32 pm
by GuyP
👍

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:42 pm
by GuyP
Received my leaning post/seat (same one Browndog used) thru Fedex Thursday. Looked like part of it had busted out of the box and upholstery is messed up. Overtons is working on a resolution. Positive note is that the frame is built like a tank to survive the trip from Tennessee and feet of the frame line up perfectly with stringers and cleats.

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:39 pm
by OrangeQuest
Very good looking!!

Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:47 pm
by GuyP
Second coat of blended filler sanded smooooth on gunwales and inwales. Second coat ready for sanding on inner transom, rear deck and bulkhead. Console transformed from cardboard to wood and fiberglass. Ready for exterior layer of joint tape and cloth. That thing is going to be stout with all that glass.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:33 pm
by GuyP
Entire topside has been blended filler faired and sanded. Sole has been epoxy coated and will be lightly sanded tomorrow after setting up under the heated tent. Unseasonably cool here, low of 50 degrees tonight. It’s a little too cool for medium hardener without the heat. Quik Fair is next on the agenda and then on to finishing the console.

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:28 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Looking great. Especially the third pic. 😍

What do you have in mind for finish on the sole? Fairing compound and paint or something less potentially slippery?

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:00 pm
by GuyP
Thanks Dan. I’m thinking Kiwigrip. The entire topside will be S3 Yacht Primer and WR-LPU in Orcas White. Do you have any other suggestions for a non skid?

Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:28 am
by Dr. Pete
I am trying to catch up with you. Started fairing yesterday. Did you glass your decks and sole or just faired and epoxied? I have some 6 oz weave cloth I was thinking of laying on the decks and sole to make them more abuse tolerant. I understand that it does nothing for structural strength. Thanks. I am always inspired by the quality you produce and your generosity in sharing.

Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:47 am
by Dan_Smullen
GuyP wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:00 pm Thanks Dan. I’m thinking Kiwigrip. The entire topside will be S3 Yacht Primer and WR-LPU in Orcas White. Do you have any other suggestions for a non skid?
Not at all. That’s why I’m asking you! :lol:

I like the rubber sand/paint method that I’ve seen on Boatworks Today, but have reservations about the entire sole getting this treatment. Lots of questions about keeping it clean, but think it’s completely appropriate for the deck/gunnels. (Where you definitely don’t want to slip)

I like the “work boat” look on the inside of the sides and sole like on a Carolina Skiff, but no idea how to achieve it. Gel coat maybe?

Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:23 am
by Jaysen
I mean... work boat finish is the best some of us can muster! Just ask Fuzz :)

Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:39 pm
by GuyP
Dr Pete, I used 4”, 6 oz tape on the sole panel seams, decks and gunwale/inwale/rub rail seams, deck/inwale/bulkhead seams. I used 6”, 12 oz on deck/hull/bulkhead/frame seams. The only cloth I’m installing topsides is 6 oz woven on the console. I’m fairing over taped seams and epoxy coated sole panels.

Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:53 pm
by GuyP
Dan, for non skid I’ve also considered System 3 non skid additive. I may try a test board. That will be one of the last things I do. I’ll be taping (12 oz tape) and fairing in the console before painting everything topside with the sole last.

Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:20 pm
by Dr. Pete
Thanks Guy. Got this cloth so I am going to see how far it’ll stretch. Start the console. Next to the sole, carry up to foredecks if I have material l. Then wherever. Going to move on!

Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:36 pm
by GuyP
Fairing almost complete. A first application of QuikFair on the sole and a little final touch up on everything else topside. Looks a little blotch but feels really smoooooooth. It’s almost PRIME TIME.

Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:41 am
by Jeff
Looks great Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:52 am
by GuyP
Got the console glassed before taking a few days R&R away from boat building. I’ll be fairing and cutting hatches when I get back to it. I’ve been getting prices and sticker shock on new 90 HP four strokes.

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:47 am
by Scrappy
Boat is looking great!

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:09 am
by Jeff
Nice work Guy!! Enjoy the time away!! Jeff

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:11 am
by Cbuf
I went into sticker shock as well. Be on the look out for dealer demos. I got lucky on my last two motors. First was a merc race boat support vessel motor (90 optimax) with 15 hours most of it idling. second was a return because the customer was unhappy and wanted a bigger motor. In both cases I got about 1000- 1500 off, plus they both came with about 1000 of rigging/prop. So a total savings of about 2K and I still have 4 years of warranty left.

cbuf

Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:44 pm
by GuyP
Second section of fairing will be sanded tomorrow after setting up tonight with a little heater warming from underneath (going to be 55 in the boat shop tonight). Then I’ll hoist the console onto the sole and work out exact position of it as well as the leaning post helm seat. Then it’ll come back out for a little Quick Fair and fitting hatches. It’s really feeling like it’s going to be a boat SOON!

Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:17 pm
by GuyP
First coat of fairing on console has been sanded. Trying it out for size and position. Tomorrow I’ll put together the leaning post helm seat and work out and mark the best feeling position for both.

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:06 am
by cape man
Looks like some paint is in your near future!

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:34 am
by Jeff
Really nice work Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:49 pm
by GuyP
Cape Man: I’m gonna hate to start painting. That’s because I’m really gonna miss sanding 🥴

Jeff: thanks for the continued encouragement

Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:02 pm
by GuyP
Before I had this Southern Hognose snake identified he disappeared in the boat shop. Delayed me for a while as I thought he was a timber rattler common in these parts. He is alive and well and I’m back to work. Kind of copied Browndog’s console hatch design. Since these pics I put a coat of Quickfair on it and will sand in the morning. Then one last hoist back onto the sole then I’ll be taping it in place.

Can anyone recommend a distance between console and seat cushion of a combined leaning post/helm seat? I found what’s comfortable but not sure if there’s a standard. There is a toe/kick space under the console.

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:36 am
by cape man
Can't see his head, but I think that's a grey rat snake instead of a hog nose. Way too big and thin for a hog nose.

I wish I had a few more inches between the leaning post and the console.... :roll:

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:51 am
by GuyP
I think you’re right. Grey rat was not one my original google search showed in Georgia.

Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:29 pm
by Browndog
Looking Good Guy!

Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:48 pm
by GuyP
Console is 99% faired, filleted and taped in place. Leaning post is in final position but won’t be attached until sole is finished. Console front seat hatch will probably have cushioned upholstered lid. Raised gutters will be added to handle rain.

Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:43 pm
by BrianC
I really like the leaning post and aluminum bars mounted to the console. Are those standard or custom?

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:03 am
by GuyP
Leaning post is standard from Overtons made by Taco metals. It’s not fully assembled. Has 4 rod holders and seat back not attached yet. Console rails are stainless and salvaged from a boat my brother was demolishing. I built the console to fit.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:03 am
by Jeff
Nice work Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:21 pm
by GuyP
Coat of neat epoxy rolled and tipped over the entire topsides excluding the sole. After a light sanding and a few dents filled with Quick Fair, she’ll be ready for 3 coats of S3 Yacht Primer. I’ll be working on plexiglass windshield following willg’s DIY Plexiglass Windshield post from 2017 between coats. Picked up the 0.22” plexi at Home Depot this afternoon. Looks a bit blotchy but it’s just the usual transitions between fairing compounds and epoxy coated glass cloth. I also had a successful test feed of the mechanical steering cable from wotorwell bulkhead straight thru the 1 1/2” conduit into the console. GETTING CLOSE :D

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:17 am
by Jeff
Great progress Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:10 am
by Browndog
Oh yeah! I see primer and paint in your near future.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:57 pm
by GuyP
Her shiny EMC Quantum blue ice hull exterior has been undercover too long. Plastic sheeting did it’s job of protection during the last 10 months since the flip. Time to retape around the rub rails and transom and begin to apply the topside paint system. She’s even prettier than I remember.

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:10 pm
by GuyP
Draping the hull one more time after fresh masking tape. First partial coat of Yacht Primer is history. After 3 coats and some very minor sanding (compared to what I’ve been doing over the last year) it’ll be time for a little Orcas White System 3 LPU and 90 horses of pure power. The end of the tunnel is shining bright.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:02 pm
by Dan_Smullen
8O 8O 8O

I can sense the excitement! She’s looking great and getting close!

Nice work, Guy.

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 pm
by GuyP
👍👍 I’m ordering seat cushions. Now that’s exciting.

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:04 pm
by GuyP
Two coats of System 3 WR-LPU Orcas White on top of three coats of Yacht Primer. I’ll sand with 240 grit after this coat dries 24 hrs. Two more coats to go with sanding in between and then on to the sole. I plan to use US Composites non-skid but I’ll do a test board first. It has good reviews. Have any of y’all used it before? I know there’s a lot of Kiwigrip used here but I think I’m wanting something a little smoother.

Thanks once more to Jordy (Browndog) for inspiration and advice.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:42 am
by Browndog
Guy,

Your paint job looks great!

Be prepared for lots of people not believing that you built the boat yourself.

Regards,
Jordy

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:43 am
by Rover1
re the Hand rails on console custom or can they be purchased stock somewhere?
Boat looks great!
Rover1

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:21 am
by BrianC
Really love the paint job. What is your secret getting the System 3 primer and WR-LPU to lay down so pretty?

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:07 pm
by GuyP
Rover1 - Console rails are salvaged from a demo of a boat by my brother. Console was built to fit the rails.

BrianC - Primer was sanded after drying 24 hrs after each coat with 240 grit. I would only run my orbital at about setting 3 1/2 out of 5 or I think it got too hot and clogged paper fast. It took the thicker dried paint off the few brush strokes and runs. Put it on thin and roll and tip of course. Orcas White photo is actually just one coat so far. I posted the wrong pics. First coat was too thick on a couple vertical places and ran into a couple 1” puddles at edge of sole. I scraped and water wiped those off before puddles were completely dry. Second coat went on after 6 hrs drying with no sanding with no runs. I found and I think Jordy mentioned on phone to not get roller too wet. For me just dipping one edge in paint and then working it around the roller on the tray before applying. Also look it over after about 10 minutes and lightly re-tip any runs with minimal strokes. I’ll sand with 240 before 3rd coat tomorrow after drying 24 hrs and apply as light as possible. Then a light hand sanding before 4th. Both the primer and Orcas White are going a long way. Send me your number in a private message if you need anything else and I’ll give you a call. Here’s pics of 2nd coat. Big improvements in person but looks a lot the same in pics. System 3 has some good tech data on the web.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:46 pm
by BrianC
GuyP wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:07 pm ...Put it on thin and roll and tip of course....For me just dipping one edge in paint and then working it around the roller on the tray before applying. Also look it over after about 10 minutes and lightly re-tip any runs with minimal strokes....
Thanks for all the info! What type of roller and nap thickness did you find worked best? I have some Purdy White Dove woven fabric rollers with 3/8" nap but it sounds like I might be better off with less nap given your comment about not overloading the roller. Thanks again :)

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:18 pm
by GuyP
Dense foam is all I’ve used. I believe the tech data recommends them. The primer will break them down and separate from the core if you use one too long even though it is water based. It took 2 to get one coat applied. The Orcas White is less punishing. The single did 2 coats with 2 clean ups and ready to go again. I like 4 inch the best. Amazon or Lowe’s. Harbor freight stuff was too flimsy.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:19 pm
by GuyP
Foam rollers

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:26 am
by GuyP
BrianC you might try the 3/8 nap. Could hold up better than the foam for the primer. I think it needs to apply a thin even coat that is easily tipped with the brush. I would use the foam for the topcoat. Others will hopefully comment.

Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:49 pm
by Browndog
I used the same foam rollers that Guy is using with similar results.

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:45 pm
by GuyP
Third coat of WR-LPU and looking and feeling slick. One more coat and all the remaining grey streaks will be gone I hope. Took some time while this coat is curing hard to fabricate windshield. Thanks to Jordy and willg (2017) post for windshield advice.

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 pm
by GuyP
After a wet sanding with 320 grit she’s ready for the 4th and hopefully final coat of Orcas White in the morning.

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:22 pm
by Fuzz
That is looking really, really nice :D

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:51 am
by Coach
Looks awesome! I am also a fan of those cigar foam rollers. Yes they start to break down midway but just chuck it and slap on a new one! I found myself using the tip of the roller as a foam brush in tight areas. You are doing very nice work!

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:43 am
by Jeff
Looking great GuyP!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 am
by Cbuf
What are you thinking for non- skid? I went white kiwi grip with the same orca as my base. I love the texture but it is impossible to keep clean. Next time I would do a gray. Also, I went aggressive texture I would tone it down and go with a medium texture, the stuff is grippy as it is. Food for thought.

Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:04 pm
by Scrappy
Boat is looking great Guy.

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:03 am
by GuyP
Thanks fellas! For non-skid I’m going to try a US Composites fine grade mixed in The Orcas white. I’ll do a test board before it goes on the whole sole. I’m wanting a little lighter coat than the Kiwi looks to be.

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:57 pm
by GuyP
I’m in a paint delay. Took a step backward and decided the interior Orcas White S3 WR-LPU was not turning out as I’d hoped. Brush strokes were pretty visible and after 4 coats would have still needed another coat to fully cover the primer. So......after consulting with EMC and finding that Quantum99 would stick to properly sanded LPU I’m changing course. Quantum99 on hull exterior before flip has me spoiled. I’m awaiting color card from Reid as there’s a boatload of whites and I want to smartly choose. Delayed me a week so far but careful 240 grit sanding of the topcoat, a little interior hatch, gutter and lid underside paint and trial bow point rub rail mounting has kept me busy. Overnight stay from one 64 years my younger has also been an energy release. I still plan to use the LPU with additive for the sole non skid but I’ll hold off until the motor shop crew is done scuffing it up.

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:00 am
by Fuzz
Well it is pretty clear who this boat is being built for :D

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:48 am
by Browndog
Looking good!

Always takes longer than you expect.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:46 pm
by GuyP
Trying out a double cross ballard at the bow for size. I think I’ll keep it. Reminds me of the old style Boston Whalers of which I’m pretty fond. I’ve owned a 15’, 17, and 13 at different times for different needs. The 15 was my favorite. I’m in a lull as my EMC topcoat is delayed another 10 days. So I’ve decided to move ahead and finish the sole starting with the first coat of primer. I’ll just have to protect it as I finish the remainder then fit all the controls, seats, hatch lids, rub rail, lights ... the fun stuff.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:08 pm
by GuyP
Really rolling today. Drilled the transom for the 1” motor well drain. Always a little anxious drilling trough the transom. Thanks to my wife’s (Lyn) suggestion, I drilled one instead of the two I had planned. No real reason for two. Worst case I’ll just lean starboard. Battery will be starboard. That 30 lbs aught to tilt the otherwise symmetrically set up boat just enough. This through hull won’t be oversized and redrilled. On that 25” transom I don’t expect it to be submerged too often. It is well coated with resin and will also be coated in 5200 before drain tub is expanded into place.

Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:41 pm
by GuyP
Motor well drain tube solidly in place. Test patterns on console for switch panel, tach and fuel gauge. I’ll do some interior console wiring today along with running small gauge wires today. Then put a coat of topcoat on sole if temp is still below 90 (fat chance of that).

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:04 pm
by GuyP
I’m seeing light at the end of the tunnel 🌅. White, black and stainless color scheme on the interior is coming together. Instruments are fitted into the dull sanded console. Won’t receive the EMC Quantum 99 top coat until mid next week. Wiring has been run thru hidden conduit fore and aft. Put a window A/C in the boat shop window today which kept it 81 degrees on a 93 degree afternoon. Should have had it cooled down 2 months back. I hope to get the sole topcoated with non-skid over the next couple days

Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:15 pm
by Jeff
Nice work Guy!!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:22 pm
by GuyP
Fitted the windshield on the console prior to removal then final couple of topcoats. Found that Danco neoprene faucet washers worked well for cushion spacers on the mounting screws. Shooting for Sunday/Monday for last painting sessions.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:01 pm
by GuyP
Paint application is complete except for hatch lids. One quart of Quantum99 (plus two pints of additives) covered entire boat above and inside rub rails (except sole) two or three coats. I don’t think I have enough left for last coat on the hatch lids so a 27 sq ft coverage spray can is on order. Great coverage and slick even application with roller only. Sole took 6 coats System 3 WR-LPU (last 2 with Ever-Tex grip additive). That grey Silver Tip Yacht Primer is a bear for WR-LPU to cover. Two or three coats of Quantum99 did the trick. Taking a few days off to let the paint fully cure then I’ll be wet sanding with 1200 grit before orbital rubbing compound then buffing. Can’t wait to put all the bells and whistles on her (seats, windshield, steering, rub rail, gauges, hatches, access panels, console grab rail ...). Trip to motor shop is quickly approaching.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:55 pm
by BB Sig
Very nice! :D

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:59 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Nice details, inside and out!

I did some sanding with 1200, 1500, and 2000 to get rid of some runs and sags. Have t buffed yet, but it feels so good seems like a shame to not do the same for the whole boat. It will be worth it on your boat I’m sure.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:07 pm
by Jeff
Really great work Guy!!! She is beautiful!!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:24 pm
by GuyP
Dan

Most horizontal surfaces I’ll probably just buff. Verticals will benefit from the wet sand. The surface is so reflective and rock hard even after curing only 2 days just a minor amount of smoothing should make a big difference. I’d be satisfied if I did nothing. Glad to get your input about the benefits of wet sanding. Thanks

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:01 am
by Rollbar1
Very nice.
Question, what do you think the weight of the boat will be w/out the center console?
Thanks,

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:35 am
by Jeff
Great work Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:12 am
by GuyP
Rollbar just saw your question, weight might be 625 without console. Not sure what’s considered in the weight listed in the study plan.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:31 am
by GuyP
With this spray can, paint will be complete!!!!! I ran out of the one quart (plus additives) before getting hatch lids fully covered. I used a quart on the bottom and one plus on the topsides. I did a little touch up also on the console with the spray. Tape will be off later today and I’ll start mounting all the “stuff”.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:52 pm
by Jeff
Guy, How did you like the EMC Paint from a Paint Can? We have had really good feedback on it so far!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:59 pm
by GuyP
Worked well. Color matches, covered nicely with a light tack coat as they call it then a final coat. I was painting over previous surfaces rolled with Quantum99 topcoat so if you were trying to cover grey primer from scratch it would have probably taken a third. It took care of what I needed on about 3 square feet on the console and the 6 hatch lids. Saved almost $200 from what another quart can would have run. I can see that if I have damage to repair in the future this would be the way to go. I would caution about watching for drift and overspray. It lightly covered the concrete floor 5 ft from the table and my shoes too.

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:14 pm
by Jeff
Thank you for the report Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:42 pm
by GuyP
Doing a little prep at what will be the FS19’s new home. Helped a friend by converting his pontoon lift to slings to handle shallower water and got his steel beams and runners in return. I’m going to replace my light capacity home made pipe beams with these beefier
I-beams and longer runners.

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:29 pm
by Browndog
That’s a good looking boat on that lift. Definitely not a stitch and glue style. Like the blue color too. Wish I could see under the cover and take a look at the interior. Clinker style? Lapstrake?

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:04 pm
by GuyP
You are correct. Glued lapstrake, a sailboat hull by George Whitsock. I could not find a plan I liked so bought the plan, built the hull with some tweaking , converted to a small center console. I recently cleaned up old pics off this tablet. I’ll access a few pics and send to you separately. I’d be glad for you to see them.

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:26 pm
by GuyP
I’m awaiting on a replacement teleflex steering cable. I need one at least a foot longer than originally ordered. Turns out the garden hose I used to pattern length was more flexible than the steering cable actually was. I hope to get the windshield, console grab rails and hatch lids mounted tomorrow. Here’s few detail pics as she’s coming together. Console and bow seat cushions have been delayed due to COVID affecting the upholstery shop.

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:52 am
by Jeff
Nice Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:24 am
by Dan_Smullen
Wow! She's looking great! Reeeeaaaal close to the finish line!

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:55 pm
by GuyP
Yes the finish line is near. Got the recycled console rails in place but had to build another windshield as I had not tapered the the top down enough to fit between the uprights. Today I mounted the console two piece hatch, and Lyn and I fed and connected that stiff coil of steering cable from stern to console. Still awaiting delivery of a couple of bench seats.

I do have a windshield I can’t use that I’ll donate to a forum member that could use it. It’s 14 1/2” high and 30 3/4” inside width. It’s designed to wrap around the console. It has a couple mild scratches. Let me know if you can use it.

I’ll post overall pics in a couple days.

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:32 am
by BB Sig
Looks great!

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:25 am
by Jeff
Nice!!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:37 pm
by Scrappy
Boat is looking incredible!

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:12 pm
by GuyP
She’s ready to splash if she only had an engine. Suzuki I thought I had lined up is on a 30+ day back order. Guess I’ll be on an engine hunt after Labor Day. Custom cushions finally arrived. Quality looks great but..... bow seat bottom damaged in shipment and bow seat back should have rounded top corners to match leaning post back. Getting good reviews from visits from family and socially isolating neighbors. More details can be viewed at a Google Photos link https://photos.app.goo.gl/oN6mpm7ForeKn6Rw9

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:36 pm
by Fuzz
Man it has to be a killer to be waiting on an engine at this point. The boat looks fantastic :!:

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:11 am
by Dr. Pete
Motor shortage is another repercussion of this virus situation. Boats and everything associated with them are in huge demand. Many of the components etc had a Chinese source. Try to go buy even some fishing equipment. Shelves are empty from people trying to get outdoors. I would like to get another prop and a motor repaired. I am in line due to demand for motor service, parts supply that is overwhelmed and back up of availability. Market shut down driven by unsubstantiated panicdemic. It will all be resolved in a few months

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:52 am
by BB Sig
I've been watching a local boat dealer's inventory dry up during the pandemic. He went from keeping 75 boats down to 12 on Friday. 8O

I was in Bass Pro the other day and their fish finder/GPS' were running low. Ended up Amazon had what I was looking for. :roll:

Good luck with getting the motor fixed soon!

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:16 am
by Jeff
She is looking great Guy!!! Sorry about the motor!! Jeff

by Jeff

by Jeff

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:18 pm
by GuyP
Banner day!!!! Motor shop emailed that 90 Suzuki is in, repaired cushion order came in, and she had a mini splash to move her a little forward on trailer. Getting her fitted for gunnel rails tomorrow then off to motor shop a Friday. Pics below are her first trip out of the boat shop since the flip.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:05 pm
by gstanfield
Looking great!

George

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:10 am
by Fuzz
That is a really nice looking boat! It will be very interesting to see how it runs.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:49 am
by cape man
Beautiful!

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:00 am
by Jeff
Beautiful Guy!!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:55 pm
by Dan_Smullen
Oh my gosh! She looks amazing! Beautiful "nearly" finished work!

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:41 pm
by narfi
Looks nice!

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:44 pm
by VT_Jeff
Looking downright spiffy, great job!

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:06 pm
by piperdown
Fantastic looking boat! Looking forward to the full splash!

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:02 pm
by BB Sig
Looks great! The wife looks happy!

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:23 pm
by GuyP
Finally have a few horses on her, 90 to be exact. Price, warranty and recommendations sold me on a Suzuki. She’s garaged for a few weeks as the Georgia Power Company lake where she’ll reside is lowered for lot owner shoreline maintenance. Now it’s seawall rebuild time. I’m also waiting on some gunwale grab rails and bow seat supports to be fabricated.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:35 am
by Fuzz
It would make me crazy having to wait to give that beauty a test run.
When you do get to run it please give us an update with all the details and pictures.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:11 am
by Jeff
Beautiful boat Guy, great work!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:05 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
Very Nice! I dont know how you are patient enough not to drop that in the water somewhere!

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:18 pm
by GuyP
Seawall construction is foremost right now. I’m on the Ga Power clock. There’s some console wiring to do as well as get the registration numbers on her. She’s gonna have a lot of direct attention in about a month. Any non seawall time I have right now will be for deer hunting and grandchildren.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:42 pm
by Jeff
Hard work Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:56 pm
by TomW1
Looks like a lot of work, guy. You getting involved in repairing lines down from Zeta.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:06 pm
by GuyP
No way TomW1, I’m a retired old fart. The seawall is on a Ga Power lake. They lower it for a month every 5 years for shoreline work. That’s the clock I’m on.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:52 pm
by nathan
Beautiful boat. That 90 looks right at home on her too.

I was planing to drag my fs17 up your way this weekend. Sure glad the weather made me change my mind. I had no idea the lake was down.

Insurance company recommendations???

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:42 pm
by GuyP
This afternoon I contacted BoatUS/Geico who provides coverage for my home built 16 ft 40 hp lapstrake center console. After quite a long phone conversation with a “helpful” representative and getting a quote of $230 annually for 20k coverage and emailing 10 photos I received a response that they no longer insure home built boats :oops: . Any recommendations?

Thanks

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:51 am
by pee wee
There have been a few threads discussing insurance for these custom/home built boats:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64963&p=469043&#p469043

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61076&

I think there are some more, these were the first to come up.

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:08 am
by Jeff
Guy, call Progressive, they are quite good with home built boats!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:11 pm
by joe2700
Amica had no problem with my homebuilt boat, including doing an agreed value policy. Having just dealt with a claim with them on my car I can highly recommend them.

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:32 pm
by GuyP
👍

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:45 pm
by Woodenyouknowit
Progressive wrote me a policy for my homebuilt ob17, and I paid the first premium. A few weeks later they refunded my premium, cancelled my policy, and stated they don't insure homebuilts. :(

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:37 pm
by GuyP
Progressive did write me a policy. Referred me to a local agent who admittedly knew nothing regarding boat insurance but wrote a policy that I was able to adjust boat value with a call direct to Progressive. $176 paid up for a year and $20,000 boat value (a little more than I have in it), liability 100K property and 300K medical. Hope it does not get cancelled before it gets in the water.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:54 pm
by Jeff
Good news Guy!! I have has Progressive Boat Insurance for many years now!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:29 pm
by AdamG
They do realize that human beings build mass production boats too, and that most home built boats are engineered designs built with not all that dissimilar methodology to some production boats. They're just one-off custom builds instead of mass produced. Maybe call it a "custom" instead of a "homebuilt".

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:44 pm
by GuyP
Insurance update: got a cancellation email from Progressive. State issued VIN set off underwriters alarms. Saturday am phone call told me they would provide liability/medical. It’s back in underwriters hands. Stay tuned!!!

Splash day is getting close. Lake is back full, fueled up the tank and test ran it in the driveway. Installed the custom grab rails and make/model labeling. Just a few more final tweaks to go.

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:33 am
by Jeff
She looks good GuyP!!! Sorry about the insurance issue!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:49 am
by VT_Jeff
Really nice looking, what a great job!

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:48 pm
by GuyP
Thanks Jeff and Jeff. Bummer about no collision insurance but at least she’s paid for, installments over the 1 1/2 year build (gathering materials), plus one humongous hunk for a motor. Reflections off that EMC Quantum continue to amaze me.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:04 am
by Jeff
EMC is a great paint!! Your work reflects it!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:38 pm
by GuyP
SPLASH DAY TOMORROW!!!!! Finally all the stars have aligned. Final pre-splash photos are at the Google Photo link https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wqrre5QbBs8GaFby9. She’s the most spit shined she will ever be. She’ll be hanging under the dock tomorrow night. Here’s a few pics to start. Progressive insurance did end up covering liability and medical only. I’ll be looking into an alternative in the near future.

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:49 pm
by VT_Jeff
Looks amazing! Enjoy the big day, you earned it!

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:52 pm
by Dan_Smullen
That’s going to be a fun ride, a long time in the making.

Like Jeff said, Enjoy!

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:56 pm
by Jeff
Beautiful Guy!!! Enjoy tomorrow and send photos!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:07 am
by Browndog
Way to go Guy! Congratulations and Best wishes for many years of enjoyment.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:14 am
by dalnilo
good congratulations for the finish line

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:20 am
by gstanfield
She's a beauty, congrats on a job well done.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:54 pm
by GuyP
SPLASH DAY, Jan 6, 2021
The crowd of onlookers was slim due to covid and January weather. New motor break in limited me to half throttle, 3000rpm and about 20mph. She’s smooth, stable, planes well, quiet (my first 4 stroke), handles waves nicely, and satisfied with bow hight on plane. Have about an hour more run time before opening her up over 3000rpm. Feels like it’s gonna FLY. More photos will be available when my Google Photos shared album finishes downloading.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:08 pm
by narfi
Beautiful!

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:11 pm
by Jeff
Agree, beautiful work Guy!!! Congrats, Jeff

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:26 pm
by Fuzz
That is one good looking boat. I am sure as soon as people are out it will attract lots of questions and praise. Well when you are at the dock that is, with that much power not too many folks will be running you down to ask questions :lol:

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:30 pm
by GuyP
Google Photos link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tymPeZZtgnB913wC7

Short video with Lyn at the helm is at 3000rpm, half throttle, the top break in speed that day.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:08 pm
by Fuzz
Yep if that video was at 3000 rpm she is going to flat out haul at wide open.
It is great to see your better half enjoying running the boat. Nothing better than having them involved in the project.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:15 am
by Rmarsh
Excellent job!

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:50 pm
by GuyP
Another cold hour of break in on the water, now can run 4000 RPM which is a confirmed 25 mph. After another hour I can open her up to 6000 RPM which is going to be way too fast for this Guy.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:21 pm
by TomW1
Guy that is really great looking good. Which lake are you on down there. I'm just over the boarder in NC. It is cold up here in the mountains. Document your performance. Speed at rpm so we know what that boat can do with your 90 Suzuki motor. :D

Tom

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:07 am
by GuyP
Tom, I went with the size you recommended, stainless 14 x 20. She gets up on plane at about 2500. At 3000 she’s going 18 mph with one or two adults. At 4000 she went 25 with just me aboard and went 28 if I trimmed her up a little but handling suffered (touchy steering). I have to get another hour on her before I can open her up but for only 5 minutes at a time for the next 7 hours. That won’t be difficult as I can’t imagine wanting to open it up for any longer than that. 25 mph on the water is pretty fast to me. I’m running exclusively with it trimmed down all the way except for that short period I mentioned going 28.

Oh yeah we’re on Lake Sinclair. I’m using one of those IPhone speedometer apps. Corresponded pretty well with my Tacoma’s speedometer.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:59 am
by piperdown
Guy, absolutely gorgeous boat! Congratulations!!

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:29 pm
by GuyP
I had enough hours on the Suzuki 90 four stroke to run up to full throttle yesterday but didn’t quite get there. She handled nicely but 35 mph at 5700 RPM on a smooth stretch of lake was fast enough for me right now! Ran her up to 30 mph in a moderate chop (pictured below) and stayed smooth and dry. She comes out of the hole easily, even when break in limited me to less than 3000 RPM and the bow settles down nicely. Haven’t measured her draft and have not seen it under way from the shore but is high, flat and stable while onboard, underway or idle. She was built standard according to the plan with the exception of scaling down 5%. She has no additional tanks or compartments, a 23 gallon fuel tank (40 gallon specified in plan), and about two gallons more epoxy. This is my first 4 stroke and is virtually silent at idle and much quieter underway than the 2 strokes I’m accustomed to operating.

Slowest speed is 3.4 mph at 800 RPM in idle and in gear, planes out at about 2500 RPM, runs 18 mph at 3000 RPM, 25 mph at 4000 RPM, 30 mph at 5000 RPM and 35 mph at 5700 RPM.

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:33 pm
by GuyP
I’m 4 1/2 hours into the 10 hour break in period on the Suzuki 90 and able to open it up but 5700 rpm and 35 mph is the highest I’ve taken her to. I think she’s got about 500 rpm left in tank. Very satisfied with smooth and quiet ride and quickness to get on plane. One thing I’ve noticed when running at a good clip is it sounds like noise of hull cutting through water is resonating on the inside of the console. Not bad but thinking a little foam in the raised curb for the conduit under the console may reduce it. All floatation foam is on the outside of the stringers and the conduits run between them. Y’all think it’s worth a try?

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:39 pm
by piperdown
Couldn't hurt putting some foam in there.

You've got to be pleased with your build and the performance it has!

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:39 pm
by GuyP
Yes sir Eric, I am certainly pleased. Can’t wait to get some hybrid/striper scales on her and pull a skier out of the hole. Thanks

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:19 am
by TomW1
Hi Guy sounds like your pretty pleased with your FS. One problem I see is if your only getting 5700rpms at full throttle you need a little different prop on her. Don't know what pitch your running now but you should go down 2 inches in pitch. Max rpms on that Suzuki 90 is 6300rpm's. So going down 2 inches will get you up to around 6100 or so rpm's at full throttle. This will also let your mid-cruise rpm numbers to be lower.

Tom

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:44 am
by GuyP
Tom I have not gotten all the way full throttle yet. I still had some throttle left when I was at 5700 and 35mph. I’m into the motor break-in period where I “may” get up to full throttle for 5 minute periods. I’ll get my nerve up eventually and open her up fully before long. 8O

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:56 am
by GuyP
PS - I’m running a 14 x 20.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:25 pm
by TomW1
GuyP wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:44 am Tom I have not gotten all the way full throttle yet. I still had some throttle left when I was at 5700 and 35mph. I’m into the motor break-in period where I “may” get up to full throttle for 5 minute periods. I’ll get my nerve up eventually and open her up fully before long. 8O
Okay I thought you said you were up to full throttle. Sounds like you have the right prop. When you do reach full throttle you should be at or over 6000rpms for that motor. You will never use it in most cases, but for the motor to have the best performance in all ranges that is what you should have.

I'm like you full throttle is not fun. in a small boat. Just do it for a couple of minutes to get the numbers and back down. You'll never probably never do it again. Let us know what you get, all of us would be interested.

Tom

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:40 pm
by GuyP
Tom thanks for the prop help. Your size recommendation to this novice was right on.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 pm
by GuyP
75 degrees this afternoon in middle Georgia. A fine day to open her up for the first time. Topped out at 6000 rpm and 36.2 mph. She handled nicely.

Repetitive but the complete spread is:

1000 rpm at idle and 3 mph in gear
2500 rpm up on plane with two adults on board
3000 rpm 18 mph with one or two adults
4000 rpm 25 mph with only driver
5000 rpm 30 mph with only driver
5700 rpm 35 mph with only driver
6000 rpm 36.2 mph with only driver

2021 Suzuki 90, 14 x 20 stainless steel prop

5 hours run time has used about 8 gallons of fuel. First three hours were keeping her under 3000 rpm.

Next time I have her on a trailer I’ll try to have her weighed.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:30 pm
by TomW1
Sounds perfect Guy. Can't do much better than that. Looks like a perfect cruise between 3500 and 4500rpms. And your reaching max rpms. :D Once you get her broken in things might get a little better. I really like Suzuki motors. :wink:

Tom

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:36 pm
by GuyP
Thanks Tom. 4000 rpm/25 mph did feel nice and 3000 rpm/17 mph was a good leisurely cruse too. She’s going to be catching fish in about a month and hauling skiers a couple months later.

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:19 am
by Scrappy
Guy,
I’ve been off the forum this winter and just catching up. Congratulations on your boat. She’s beautiful.

Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:14 pm
by GuyP
Scrappy, thanks for checking her out and you kind comments. She has not disappointed. Four adults and a 3 year old in her today and I believe there was power to spare. I’m about to post some speed/rpm numbers with a full load of folks.

Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:45 pm
by GuyP
The first non-spouse riders. 2 1/2 year old grandson LOVES it! These mph results are just 1 to 1 1/2 lower than the lighter loaded trial.

After 9 hours run time
3000 rpm 16.5 mph with 4 adults and one child
4000 rpm 24 mph with 4 adults and one child
5900 rpm was wide open with the above load (mph data not collected)
Gets up and goes easily, handles nicely.

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:00 am
by GuyP
GuyP wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:14 pm Scrappy, thanks for checking her out and your kind comments. She has not disappointed. Four adults and a 3 year old in her today and I believe there was power to spare. I’m about to post some speed/rpm numbers with a full load of folks.

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:58 pm
by Fuzz
Sounds like the boat is running well for you. Nice to be able to get out and go this time of the year.

Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:36 pm
by TomW1
GuyP wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:45 pm The first non-spouse riders. 2 1/2 year old grandson LOVES it! These mph results are just 1 to 1 1/2 lower than the lighter loaded trial.

After 9 hours run time
3000 rpm 16.5 mph with 4 adults and one child
4000 rpm 24 mph with 4 adults and one child
5900 rpm was wide open with the above load (mph data not collected)
Gets up and goes easily, handles nicely.
Nice Guy I would consider her dialed in and not worry about changing anything. Just enjoy her from here on out. :D Nice looking grandson also, your getting him started right. :lol:

Tom

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:28 am
by Jeff
Great times Guy!!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:08 pm
by OneWayTraffic
Just thinking about the insurance. You should be able to run the plans and build thread along with other photos past a marine surveyor, to get insurance as a custom build. It's built to a better standard after all.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:10 pm
by TomW1
OneWayTraffic here in the States we don't have much problem getting insurance. Geico insures most of our boats with out much problem. I am sure by now that Guy has insurance or he would not be going out on his boat so much. :wink: It took me filling out some paper work and sending in some pictures to get insured for my OD18. I have replacement cost and liability, etc.

Tom

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:31 pm
by GuyP
TomW1

I tried Geico/BoatUS to start who fully covered a previously built home built. They covered me initially on this one then soon sent a cancellation notice and said “they no longer cover home built boats”. I went with Progressive who ended up covering me with no collision coverage. I basically have 300K liability, 25K per person medical in my boat, uninsured boater coverage, that’s it. So I’m self insured for personal collision. Heard that Amica will provide full coverage but have not taken the time to look into it.

Guess I’ll see what happens in August when I go to renew the earlier build.

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:34 pm
by VT_Jeff
GuyP wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:31 pm TomW1

I tried Geico/BoatUS to start who fully covered a previously built home built. They covered me initially on this one then soon sent a cancellation notice and said “they no longer cover home built boats”. I went with Progressive who ended up covering me with no collision coverage. I basically have 300K liability, 25K per person medical in my boat, uninsured boater coverage, that’s it. So I’m self insured for personal collision. Heard that Amica will provide full coverage but have not taken the time to look into it.

Guess I’ll see what happens in August when I go to renew the earlier build.
So no coverage for a loss while trailering? That's my biggest concern.

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:45 pm
by GuyP
Hadn’t thought about that since I finalized things with Progressive. Boat has not been trailered except to get it to the lake where it resides in a boat house. I do need to look back into full coverage. Thanks

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:26 pm
by GuyP
The combined hybrid/striped bass faux spawning run has begun on my home lake. The FS19 is a joy to fish out of. First time in 3 years trolling at the base of the dam upstream that I encountered whitecaps and constantly changing 15 mph wind gusts while trolling. But the fish cooperated and I stayed dry. Solo on this run and twenty four in the boat between 2 and 5.1 pounds in a 3 hour trolling session (19 released). The self bailing sole drains made cleaning up the fish slime a breeze. Handled nicely at 20 mph into the wind over 1 ft whitecaps. My first experience with a fish finder really showed where the hybrids were congregated.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:34 am
by Browndog
Glad to see you using your beautiful boat. One of the best things about the FS19 is how dry and comfortable it is. Congratulations on finding some fish.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:14 pm
by TomW1
Nice fishing and great report Guy. Those are some pretty good eating.

Tom.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:05 pm
by GuyP
They are good eating. Had oven fried fillets tonight! Gonna get in a couple trolling runs over the next couple of days.

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:46 pm
by Rover1
Guyp,
Great work on the fish. When you see that number of stripers on the sonar, drop a jig. if they are anything like the stripers I fish for you are in for a good time.
Rover1

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:23 am
by GuyP
Thanks Rover1. I’ll give it a try today!!!!

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:12 pm
by GuyP
Caught ten today 2 to 4 1/4 lbs (kept 5). Lyn pictured with 2 1/2 pounder. Did not try the down jigging method as they did not show up in large groups. Boat is still doing nicely. With both of us standing on one side for a little while netting the big one had a little water up through sole drain. In line check must have leaked a little. Wasn’t much water and drained out quickly when we leveled off a little.

Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:14 pm
by Jeff
Excellent Guy!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:31 pm
by GuyP
She’s settling in to lake life quite nicely. Added a triangle of decking in the boat slip that’s gonna make gassing her up a lot easier.

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:50 am
by Jeff
Nice Guy, you gotta love lifts!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:14 pm
by GuyP
Yes for sure. Not as bad as salt water but some lakes including this one deposit iron and manganese. Tough to get off.

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:46 pm
by Jeff
Agree!!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:51 pm
by VT_Jeff
I'm going to guess/hope that you have a chair(or more) in front of that boathouse so you can sit and stare at the boat for long periods, recalling the various trials/tribulations that went into finally getting her in that lift. Just awesome!

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:42 pm
by GuyP
Most gracious comment VT Jeff. Don’t generally sit still much unless it’s in a deer stand, a pick up or of course a boat.

Small crack repair on spray rail?

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:12 pm
by GuyP
Two 4 - 6 inch cracks have appeared in paint on one of the spray rails (see red lines on pic). This pic is just to show location on the top side of the rail not in the joints at the hull surface. The spray rails were glued on then covered with biax 12 oz tape after the hull was tape and cloth covered. I’m expecting I may find I had a little air space under the tape when I get to probing when I repair. Those surfaces on the spray rails were the most difficult to glass as they were almost upside down during construction. I did have to repair a few places on them while fairing and sanding prior to painting.

I’ll wait until I can get a good look at the complete underside before I work on these two “cracks”. I propose to: 1) dissect the cracks carefully removing any loose material, 2) carefully sand to smooth and knock the paint back a little, 3) apply neat epoxy then fill with Quickfair sand, tape off, prime and paint.

It should be restricted to just one narrow surface on the top side of one spray rail.

What y’all think?

Re: Small crack repair on spray rail?

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:48 pm
by VT_Jeff
GuyP wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:12 pm Two 4 - 6 inch cracks have appeared in paint on one of the spray rails (see red lines on pic). This pic is just to show location on the top side of the rail not in the joints at the hull surface. The spray rails were glued on then covered with biax 12 oz tape after the hull was tape and cloth covered. I’m expecting I may find I had a little air space under the tape when I get to probing when I repair. Those surfaces on the spray rails were the most difficult to glass as they were almost upside down during construction. I did have to repair a few places on them while fairing and sanding prior to painting.

I’ll wait until I can get a good look at the complete underside before I work on these two “cracks”. I propose to: 1) dissect the cracks carefully removing any loose material, 2) carefully sand to smooth and knock the paint back a little, 3) apply neat epoxy then fill with Quickfair sand, tape off, prime and paint.

It should be restricted to just one narrow surface on the top side of one spray rail.

What y’all think?
I'm trying to picture what could cause a crack like that and I'm having a lot of trouble.

Either the core wood is unstable/moving enough to crack the encapsulating glass, or it flexed. Both seem pretty unlikely to me. I'm stumped.

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:56 pm
by GuyP
I think it probably flexed. It feels a little soft under the cracked paint. Must have been an air space. I don’t see any others but will check it out thoroughly.

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:58 am
by OneWayTraffic
After that beautiful paint job too. That really sucks.

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:49 am
by GuyP
If this is the only location limited to one surface of the spray rail the repair should be unnoticeable.

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:46 pm
by TomW1
Guy how did you find these? The last I saw your boat was on the rack at the lake? But yes your theory is sound.

Tom

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:41 pm
by GuyP
It’s still hanging in boat slip. Pic earlier is pre flip just to show location. Should have used this pic. Arrows show approximate location of cracks but they are not visible in pic. They’re on the top surface of that spray rail. Underside of this rail is fine as is both top and bottom of port side. I should be able to refinish the top side of this rail without affecting the hull side panel.

I need to get under her to check out the strakes and keel. Expect them to be fine but want to get full use out of one of those “gold” spray cans of EMC Quantum 99 after its activated.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:41 pm
by GuyP
Hybrid striped bass almost jumping in the boat the last 2 days including my personal best 6 lb 10 oz, released.

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:04 am
by OneWayTraffic
Nice fish. Are they good eating? I see a lot of really high HP boats chasing those fish and sometimes wonder why.

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:56 pm
by TomW1
OneWayTraffic wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:04 am Nice fish. Are they good eating? I see a lot of really high HP boats chasing those fish and sometimes wonder why.
Very good eating. I will let Guy his favorite way of cooking them.

Tom

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:14 pm
by Jeff
Good catch!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:22 am
by GuyP
This one I now believe is a striped bass (non-hybrid). Both taste excellent to me. My best way to cook is roll fillet pieces in melted butter then bread crumbs. Salt and pepper them. Bake at 410 degrees about 15 min on a greased baking sheet. Pull out when coating on the top gets brown to your liking. No need to turn while baking. We call them oven fried. Yum! When filleting, I trim the heavy part of the “blood line” out on the skin side.

Collision insurance rejection again

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:15 pm
by GuyP
Three strikes and I’m out. Geico, Progressive and now Amica have rejected to insure my FS19 for collision. I’m just asking for the build cost value. Progressive currently insures liability and medical. Amica told me to try Formost which I will do and I know Hagaerty will do it at a premium. Amica guy said underwriting was hesitant because of “custom/home built” designation and that I honestly said yes I’d allow close family and friends to pilot in my presence.

I know forum members are insured with these three companies. If anyone has an agent that might send me in the right direction please let me know. It’s not my or wife’s driving records, they’re spotless).

Thanks
GuyP (the P currently stands for P—-d off)

Re: Collision insurance rejection again

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:54 pm
by VT_Jeff
GuyP wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:15 pm Three strikes and I’m out. Geico, Progressive and now Amica have rejected to insure my FS19 for collision. I’m just asking for the build cost value. Progressive currently insures liability and medical. Amica told me to try Formost which I will do and I know Hagaerty will do it at a premium. Amica guy said underwriting was hesitant because of “custom/home built” designation and that I honestly said yes I’d allow close family and friends to pilot in my presence.

I know forum members are insured with these three companies. If anyone has an agent that might send me in the right direction please let me know. It’s not my or wife’s driving records, they’re spotless).

Thanks
GuyP (the P currently stands for P—-d off)
And nothing available for towing accidents? What difference could it make if its homemade if you get rear ended at a stoplight?

Collision insurance rejection again

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:57 am
by GuyP
Especially if they’re insuring my liability in this home built craft of questionable origin. :doh:

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:03 am
by fallguy1000
Never say the boat is plywood. Some clerk will cut you off.

Always say the boat is fiberglass composite...it is; you are not lying.

If they ask you for the core, say fiberglass and epoxy sheathed ply core.

If they require a survey, get one. If they don't ask, offer one. That is, if they say no to you, ask them if a survey would make a difference.

I expect to have some fun insuring mine as well.

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:13 am
by GuyP
I haven’t mentioned plywood but have said fiberglass over wood when asked. Foremost just flat said no home made boats. I have a quote request in to Hagerty but expect it to be pricy. I do have 300K liability, uninsured boater and the max they’ll do for medical payments for $100/year with Progressive. I’m expecting $500+ from Hagerty and will decide if that additional is worth the 20K coverage I’m asking for on collision. I’ll rarely trailer so not really an issue.

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:05 pm
by fallguy1000
GuyP wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:13 am I haven’t mentioned plywood but have said fiberglass over wood when asked. Foremost just flat said no home made boats. I have a quote request in to Hagerty but expect it to be pricy. I do have 300K liability, uninsured boater and the max they’ll do for medical payments for $100/year with Progressive. I’m expecting $500+ from Hagerty and will decide if that additional is worth the 20K coverage I’m asking for on collision. I’ll rarely trailer so not really an issue.
Remember these words.

Custom built. Composite. Will pass insurance survey.

Forget these words.

Homemade. Wood. No inspection.

Insurers have footage requirements for surveys. They may vary.

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:25 pm
by wwsmith
Did you ever end up getting insurance? Running into the same problem myself. I didn't do my homework well enough because Geico was insuring my LM18. I just assumed they'd insure the new boat, but turns out they have changed their policy on these boats. It's turning into a little bit of an issue for me. Any advice from those in a similar situation? Anyone planning to build a new boat with expensive rigging should be warned about this.

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:53 pm
by Jeff
wwsmith, give Progressive a try!! They seem to do well with our boats!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:23 am
by wwsmith
I had a policy with progressive for about 2 weeks and was thrilled with price. Then they called and said they were dropping coverage because I had a state-issued VIN. Have now talked to about 20 companies and none will provide coverage. I have a completely clean record and long history of boat ownership without any claims. I would encourage any prospective builder to take this into consideration as they begin planning their next project.

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:35 am
by Jeff
wwsmith, That is really strange. We have not heard this from other states. Jeff

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:42 pm
by GuyP
Just logged in after a months long hiatus. I did not try 20 companies but did try about 5. I took Progressive’s liability/medical/uninsured boaters offer. Also just renewed a liability/medical only with Geico on a previously built boat. They would not accept any new home built coverage. Hagarty will do collision but it’s expensive. I made the choice to self insure at the $400/year price difference for 20K collision coverage, my materials price plus engine.

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:21 pm
by GuyP
Just had the first skier up behind this 90 hp powerhouse.. On a slalom Lyn got up on her first attempt. It took me 4 attempts after a 4 year pause after a torn and questionably healed meniscus. Plenty of power, my technique was off a little. Meniscus is thankfully still in tact. Lyn liked cruising at 3800 RPM (about 22 mph). I liked 4700 RPM (about 28 mph). Lyn did not take much more than that to get her out of the hole. She did not notice how much throttle it took for me but it was no where near full. I remain very pleased with this FS19’s performance. No pics while skiing as one task at a time is enough.

After careful consideration I settled on a swim ladder that detaches from a permanent transom bracket. Keeps the boats sleek lines, is comfortable enough for us old folks and bracket mounts well above waterline.

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:42 pm
by TomW1
That is great Guy, and the prop is doing everything you want to do with it. That is a pretty ladder.

Tom

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:57 pm
by GuyP
Yes sir TomW1 and thanks again for the prop help.