FS14LS or DS15 or PH15 or somthing else?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS14LS or DS15 or PH15 or somthing else?

Post by cape man »

Double up on Fuzz's advice. A circular saw is the way to go.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

I like the CnC kits, on designs that have a build history, otherwise no history, cut yourself. But I'm no "expert" boat builder, with that said, having the hull CnC kit saves the first time builder, time and maybe a lot of money. I started out with S3 products and like the QuickFair and it's all I use for fairing. The BBC's MarinEpoxy with the slow hardener, I have found to be the best. I do have a thing for BBC's Wood Flour :wink:

I just started reading on these mini circular saws. They do allow you to cut curves very nicely. I'm going to buy one and use it this summer on a HB16 build (not a lot of curves in this build).

https://www.thesawguy.com/best-compact-circular-saw/

Also, you may have already read this,
http://bateau2.com/howto/scaling.php

Have fun,
Bob

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

Fuzz and Capeman are wimps! I cut my ply with scissors, but I have really strong fingers.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

seaslug wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:13 am Fuzz and Capeman are wimps! I cut my ply with scissors, but I have really strong fingers.

And a very big scissor... 8)

2737618-4207632-thumbnail.jpg
2737618-4207632-thumbnail.jpg (85.3 KiB) Viewed 900 times

RedfishMark
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RedfishMark »

HAHAHAHA! Those scissors could possibly take down a telephone pole!

Thanks for the info on the mini circular saw Bob. I was originally thinking jigsaw because I wasn't sure how much of a controlled curve you could get with a 7" circular. Yes sir, a few people have sent me the link for the scaling, thank you.

I'm pumped up to get this going. I'm thinking I will start ordering materials next week.

Mark

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

I used a Dewalt 20v circular saw (~6”) for my FS13 I’m building. Set it so only the carbide tip is all the way through the plywood. I did spring for the Freud Diablo blades. Cut curves like butter!

R00kie
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by R00kie »

There have been a few ways guys attach their splash rails, from screws, scraps and taping them. You have a little time to find your way of doing it. Some like to get everything faired up and then attach them and other like to attach them right after the glass is laid.
[/quote]

I found that the easiest way to incorporate sray rails is to use strips of 1/4" plywood about 1-1/4" wide cut on a table saw on a 4-5 degree angle. Epoxy the first one on along the chine with the angle down and away. I made some calmping bars to hold in place until cured to avoid unnecessary holes in the hull. Subsequent strips I stapled on using a small piece of poly and a short section of paint stirrer stick to allow me to pull the staples out easily. Be sure to glass the laminated edges top and bottom
Attachments
20180725_105500.jpg
Spray rail cleaning bars
Spray rail cleaning bars

Copper145
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Copper145 »

R00kie wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:32 pm There have been a few ways guys attach their splash rails, from screws, scraps and taping them. You have a little time to find your way of doing it. Some like to get everything faired up and then attach them and other like to attach them right after the glass is laid.

I found that the easiest way to incorporate sray rails is to use strips of 1/4" plywood about 1-1/4" wide cut on a table saw on a 4-5 degree angle. Epoxy the first one on along the chine with the angle down and away. I made some calmping bars to hold in place until cured to avoid unnecessary holes in the hull. Subsequent strips I stapled on using a small piece of poly and a short section of paint stirrer stick to allow me to pull the staples out easily. Be sure to glass the laminated edges top and bottom
Sorry for bumping an old thread but can you please suggest me an alternative that I could use instead of a table saw? I only own a circular and a miter saw. Thanks

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Make a simple jig for your circular saw from a 1' x 8' plywood scrap and a strip of solid wood. I think there is a photo early in my thread, I'll dig it up

There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie