GT 25 cruiser

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GT 25 cruiser

Post by changeat44 »

Hello Jacques, Bateau team and fellow builders,

I'm from The Netherlands and I apologise in advance for my bad English. After reading for the past year on this forum, I think it's time for me to ask a few questions before making a scaled model.

I bought the GT27 plans and I'm planning to build the boat somewhere next year. As many others say it's smart to build a scaled model first. So before I start building a scaled model I want to make sure I'm on the right path.

This is what I want to build:

A shortened version of the GT27, so maximum scaling in one direction by 10%. The length will be approximately 7,5 meter (25 feet).
I want to keep the beam as designed. I don't need the length, but want to keep the beam for maximum stability.

I hear you think, why not the GT23 and scaling up? Well I think, and maybe I'm wrong, the hull of the GT27 is more voluminous forward then the hull of the GT23. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Are there any particular disadvantages by scaling down this design?

I want a (closed) motorwell for two engines, one main engine 25 HP and one backup engine, let's say 10 HP.

I know it takes a lot of room from the stern but I don't mind. I really don't like the look of engines on a transom bracket.
Are there drawings available for creating a motorwell like this for a GT cruiser?

The study plan say:
The builder has complete freedom to modify the layout as long as all the framing below the deck level is present and some framing above deck. See the plans for details.

Which framing (bulkhead) above deck cannot be moved or adapted?
I'm thinking of moving the head approximately 50 cm to the stern to create a more roomy forward cabin with place for a kingsize bed.

I also want to move the galley to the front behind the captain's chair, so the dinette as designed will go.

Just curious, Is there a possibility to create a side entrance in stead of a front entrance? Maybe something like combining a side window (can be canvas) with a roofhatch or something like that?
I understand there will be need for enforcement.

If the above is possible, there will be no need for the front entrance, so the front deck can be a lot higher maybe closed. More safety, a bit heavier. The space under the front deck can be used as storage for anchor and fishing gear.

I really looking forward to build the scaled model 1:10.
Before I start I will make new drawings with the approved changes and share them with you all.

Thanks,

Daniel

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GT 25 cruiser

Post by fallguy1000 »

Best of luck.

These are Mertens questions all the way.

I will only advise you model about 1 to 5.

Anything smaller and lumber thickness and workspace is difficult. I modeled 1:10 and have more or less given up on it...too tiny.

And use hotglue. It goes very fast. You can still glass the exterior for a waterproof structure.

I used hotglue for the BHs and the 'planking'. You just have to remember to hold each piece for 30 seconds.

I did buy crazy glue, but used it almost not at all. Hotglue was just easier.

Some of your ideas are a bit unconventional and will be hard to implement. For a side door say 3' high and a slider hatch above it, I am using Bomon in Quebec and eaxh door costs about $1700. If you make things difficult to implement; the boat risks failure to finish.

Wife n I have always slept in a King Bed, but it is really an abuse of a boat space in a 25 foot vessel. Of course a drop down table/salon in a King size would be nice, but a Queen size is more practical and still a big sitting area. You will see this modeling.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

Thanks fallguy1000 for your quick response.

I agree with the scale, my small dog gets her own cruiser :D

I have fibromyalgia, I need at least a bed length of 2 meters so I can comfortably stay on board for longer time.

The side entrance was just a thought, I'm not looking for failures.

Any further comment is welcome!

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

I don't want to make this topic a mess with my thoughts, but......

I never looked seriously at boats with planing hulls, because I think these kinds of boats are only ment to use with large engines. I'm only interested in displacement speeds with max 50 HP (I prefer 25HP).

Question:
If there's a possibility to use a boat with a planning hull only at displacement speed without any trouble, maybe the DE23 is a good or even better alternative for me, I really like this design:

- standing headroom (I'm 1.87 meter/6.2 feet tall),
- large V-berth (my wife is 1.70 meter/5.6 feet tall),
- spare berth for my son or other guests (dinette),
- DE23 is seaworthy so therefore more possibilitys to explore other regions,
- place for small backup engine.

I know there are a couple DE23 build, maybe someone will tell me the exact size of the V-berth? I would really appreciate that!

Once again, sorry for the possible indistinctness, I just want to make the right choice and hopefully one day I have my own build boat.

Note for Jacques and Bateau-team:
Please skip my former questions about the GT Cruiser if you're thinking the DE23 design will fit my expectations.

Greetings to all,
Daniel

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I moved the topic to "power boats".
Note for Jacques and Bateau-team:
Please skip my former questions about the GT Cruiser if you're thinking the DE23 design will fit my expectations.
That is what I recommend.
For the 2nd motor, use a small outboard on a sailboat bracket.
Before we discuss it further,let's see if you agree with the DE23.
Email the office for an exchange, they"ll do that.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

Thank you Jacques for your personal answer, I appreciate that and it gives me a good feeling for my future build.

In the meantime, I've read almost everything about the DE23 design on this forum and I'm very excited about building the DE23.

I will contact the office for an exchange.

Greetings,
Daniel

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Excellent.
Where are you in the Netherlands and where do you plan to use the boat?
(I am born in Belgium and kept a boat in Veere and Breskens).
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I have sent Daniel an email regarding swapping the plans!! Jeff

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

Jacques, Jeff and Reid, thank you for your service!
I know for sure that's the reason (and good plans of course) your company still exists and people actually build your boats!

I received the new plans, studying them tells me already: This is the boat that fits all my needs whitout making any changes, great!

I will start a new topic (called "DE23 Pitta Patta") when I start building a model. That will be somewhere this summer.

First I have to work on the boat I have now, an old Monarc 690. She is still original (first gelcoat) but will get a whole new paintjob after 37 years.

I live in Blankenham, a small place near Blokzijl and Giethoorn.

Especially Giethoorn is a very famous place; people all around the world coming there to sail in very small boats in very small canals; funny to see becouse to many boats in very narrow canals driven by people without any sailing experience. (See YouTube).

So your a "Belg" Jacques, "Ik hoop dat ik je ooit ontmoet, dan drinken we samen een lekker koud Kriekje"

Veere and Breskens are a good 160 mile drive from my home.

The name of my new boat will be "Pitta Patta", a beautiful song from Ernie Smith. The day after my mayor heartattack 11 months ago (angel's exists!) this song gave me new hope and strength.
And reggae helps to relax, just like building boats ( I hope).

Greetings to all!
Daniel

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

Forgot to tell I will be using the boat most of the time for cruising with my wife.

I have two children in the age of 15 and 17. They have other interests, so they will only joining us for day tripping and maybe occasionally for a weekend trip. One spare berth will be enough.

I don't work anymore due to health issues.

I had my own funeral business for people who did not have enough money for a decent funeral.

I always managed to give them a personal and respectful funeral for a third or half the price (absolutely no budget funeral in performance or time, yes that's possible, funerals are unnecessary expensive!)

That work was my biggest passion, although I never earned big money, but that was never my goal! I worked alone, did everything by meselve. Build my own hearse.

I dream to explore my own country by boat and hopefully maybe crossing the Noordzee accompanied with other boats (for safety) when the forecast is good to explore England. But I realize maybe the DE23 is to small to cross the Noordzee.

Be aware to ask me something, I keep talking, that's me, everything with passion. Don't be afraid, I will not use this forum as my personal diary :wink: