FS18 on the double!

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS18 on the double!

Post by Jacky Chan »

Hi Cbuf! I did peel ply the whole boat, not just 6 inch tape. I peel ply'd ( :?: ) the tape parts first with strips of peel ply partly as an experiment as I've never used it before (first boat) and partly to save on sanding, and a little to do with making a stronger joint - I read somewhere on this forum that less epoxy = more strength.

I have seen peel ply going for 5-6x the price i paid - not sure if thats worth it or not as you obviously need quite a few metres worth! I found some 'replica' stuff on ebay for £2.86 per metre and that sounded like a deal to me given how much time it allegedly saves you in fairing, as well as saving money in less epoxy, fairing mix etc. It came rolled around itself with no cardboard tube and it looked as though a drunk person had rolled it up and stuffed it into a sack in a hurry, but when its on the boat that doesnt matter too much! 8)

Putting the peel ply on probably added an extra hour or so but I feel as though its going to save days of fairing - even a novice like me was able to figure it out and use it to move epoxy around better but more importantly scrape away the "mounds" of epoxy that are hard to see. Haven't started fairing yet but I feel like the peel ply was a very good call. Also saves a huge amount of sanding, dust etc etc

Regarding sharpened corners, I saw on somebody's build thread about how you want the back 7-8 ft (from memory!) sharpened to help with aqua dynamics which makes you faster and more fuel efficient. I'm sure its not essential but makes sense and is the kind of thing I can imagine being glad I did in a few years time.

Hope you've got a surform for those radiuses! I got really into that bit, could do it all day! No sharp edge around the house will ever be safe again :lol:

Cheers Piperdown, went for a similar technique but just pre-drilling for a 3mm ring-shank nail that just got poked in. I slapped the first layer on pretty much anyhow and without nails, then by the time I got back to the first side to do the second layer it was ready to stick on without clamps, so it slapped on the second layer then lined up each little 2ft section nicely before pre-drilling and poking a little nail in. Took the nails out about 3 hrs later before the epoxy got too hard, seems to have gone alright so far at least!

Bang on Aripeka Angler - definitely could have just gone with the straight cuts! Havent got space for a table saw unfortunately so just using a circular saw but still could have set up a little jig and whizzed them off straight. Got some 6x38mm Iroko to go as the third layer which is straight cut. Looking forward to a bigger house one day with lots of space to build boats like you boys have it over in Florida, with room for table saws galore! :wink: 8)

SO the rubrail has 2 out of 3 layers and also got the sapele (thats for the advice against red oak, seaslug!) skeg in, which if you ask me looks a lot like one of those bullet trains that goes a million miles an hour! Hoping to make a start on the fairing tomorrow if I can figure out how to degrease this fibreglass :doh:
file-35.jpeg
file1-16.jpeg
file2-13.jpeg
file3-9.jpeg
file-36.jpeg
file1-17.jpeg
file2-14.jpeg
file3-10.jpeg
file4-6.jpeg
file-37.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great progress Jacky Chan, really nice work!! Jeff

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan »

Thanks Jeff, must be great fun watching all your various boats being built around the world! 8)

Quick question if anyone is around - I've now sanded all over and brushed off most of the dust with a view to start smearing on some fairing mixture, but I've heard whispers of how you might have to "degrease" everything first...

Does anyone know if this is
a) necessary
b) whether I can do this with a damp cloth or possibly some acetone (what I have available)

Thanks in advance! :D

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

What speed/brand hardener did you use? Slow MarinEpoxy should be good without but it never hurts to give her a bath.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Jacky Chan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:13 am Quick question if anyone is around - I've now sanded all over and brushed off most of the dust with a view to start smearing on some fairing mixture, but I've heard whispers of how you might have to "degrease" everything first...

Does anyone know if this is
a) necessary
b) whether I can do this with a damp cloth or possibly some acetone (what I have available)

Thanks in advance! :D
What you heard about is epoxy amine blush, a waxy substance that migrates to the surface as the epoxy cures. Some epoxies produce a lot, some very little. It will rinse off with warm soapy water; since you're working outside you can just douse it and scrub the surface, then rinse with clean water.
Hank

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan »

Cheers for the quick response Barry! Does that mean its OK to just go for some soapy water on a cloth and wipe down? Keen to give her a gentle scrub but dont want to mess up somehow as I know that wet epoxy doesn't like water - presumably you have to let her dry fully or maybe dry her with a dry cloth?

I've got some Epifanes 1500 which gives pot life at 15-40 mins depending on temperature, sandable after 24hrs at 18 degs Centigrade (its generally about 18 at the moment, give or take)

THanks

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan »

Thanks Hank, just saw your post which must have gone up while I was writing the other one! Soapy water it is, thanks for the explanation :D

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

When you are using the soapy water, rinse with clean water. The water should "stick" to the sanded surface if it is clean. If it beads up more cleaning. When you use soapy water you can use a scouring pad to help remove the blush. Then give a day to dry fully if possible.

Your boat is looking great!!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

Jacky Chan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:27 am Cheers for the quick response Barry! Does that mean its OK to just go for some soapy water on a cloth and wipe down? Keen to give her a gentle scrub but dont want to mess up somehow as I know that wet epoxy doesn't like water - presumably you have to let her dry fully or maybe dry her with a dry cloth?

Epoxy doesn't dry, it cures. If it is 'wet' you should do nothing. It needs to cure (dry) before you give her a wash. If it's tacky to the touch, do not wipe it down with a dry cloth.

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan »

Thanks Orangequest thats just the tips I'm after :D

Apologies Cape Fishinerman I obviously minced my words atbout the epoxy - it cured nicely last week, I meant to say 'let her dry fully (after scrubbing her down with soapy water)' not after wetting out the fibreglass :help: I wasn't able to roll her out into the sun for a post-cure like some people seem to do but I was thinking of trying something similar later on when the graphite is on by draping a tarp over her and sticking a radiator/heater under there over night (not sure if they make radiators over in Florida, Georgia etc but its something you plug into the wall that actually RAISES the air temperature! Very popular here in the UK especially in winter time :lol: )