FS18 on the double!

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS18 on the double!

Post by Jacky Chan »

Ilker my hero! Thanks for dredging that pic up mate! Tells a thousand words - she looks more stable in that pic than I was expecting, which is very good news for me on the poling platform :D :D I now *stand* a chance of not falling in :wink: :lol:

As for breaking the gunnels, I am only about 220 currently, but thats before I've added copious amounts of squid, lobster and deliciously fresh fish to my diet as a result of owning this FS18 8)

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan »

Last medium-sized job out of the way!! Rubrails oiled:
IMG_1002.jpg
Had a bit of a sweep out and took off all the protective sheeting so I could take some photos while the sun is out for a change!
IMG_1014.jpg
IMG_1020.jpg
IMG_1026.jpg
IMG_1027.jpg
IMG_1028.jpg
IMG_1029.jpg
And I've added this safety ladder for when I fall in off the tower :o After struggling to get into a kayak wearing a weight belt, this lad offers a lot of peace of mind 8)
IMG_1034.jpg
The blue tape in the corner is to hold on a block of plastic for mounting the fish finder sounder - I suddenly thought that I didnt like the idea of drilling and filling below the water line, found a product online called Stern Saver and then thought I could save a bit of cash by doing a diy version (sorry Stern Saver... :oops: :lol: ) We shall see if it holds, but basically i scratched/gouged up both surfaces with a saw and the sharp tip of a file, drilled a few little holes at funny angles just inside the edge of the plastic and glued it in place just above the bottom of the boat. I will put some sealant around the edge to smarten it up and stop sand and salt getting in, then fingers crossed it stands up to scrutiny! Seemed to work for some guy on another forum, I'll let you know how it gets on

Boat getting moved out of the garden next weds, then off to get the motor and FF fitted, hopefully in time for a rag around to bed the motor in before Christmas. I've resisted the urge to stick on my cheapo under-gunnel LEDs until the chap has fitted the motor as the LEDs will stick onto the pipes for the fuel and electricity lines and they might just flop off. I reeeallly hope this thing floats :lol:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

That pretty rig will more than float! :D

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

Your boat is a real beauty, but I'm biased, it looks just like mine. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine, in fact going fishing this morning. At least 200 trips in my boat with no issues, and I still get people asking every time I go out what boat it is. I tried one of those rope ladders and I could not get any leverage or advantage because my legs would just push under the boat, and it would actually make it more difficult to get over the side. That was on my other boat with much higher sides though, but try yours out to see if it helps, before you need it. Good luck, and post some water pictures. Mike

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan »

Thanks Eric1, I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship! :) 8)

Thats very kind of you too Mike, though unfortunately the finish on mine is quite a long way off yours!! Still I am beyond happy with her - now I know what its like to be a woman going through labour and giving birth to your pride and joy (well sort of :lol: :lol: ) Thanks also for the inspiration on the colour and the hatches :D its great to have something to copy when you havent got a clue what you are doing!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Your boat looks fantastic! It would be great to see a few pictures without all the tools on her! :lol:

Good luck on your splash!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc »

Be proud mate, you have done a cracking job on her.

Rope ladders have the tendency to go under the hull when you are trying to put the first step in, but you are tying that to the platform and that should provide a nice place to grab and upright yourself.
Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

Jacky Chan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jacky Chan »

Well then, the c-section went without a hitch, I am delighted to say :D Everyone was keen to help move her back in the summer, but then flaked out at the prospect of doing it in -1 (C) conditions!! Luckily I know a few guys who aren't complete wetties and can be persuaded to do pretty much anything with the promise of a few beers :lol:

I left the platform off to save weight and made up some runners to slide her up over the first fence as there was lots of stone and a little wall that could have punctured her if dropped, but to be honest it would probably have been much easier just to tie a beam at the front (as we did at the transom) and just walk her all the way out. Anyway alls well that ends well :D

SO now shes off to Bristol on thursday to get the motor and fish finder plumbed in 8) 8) 8)

Fear not, I'll keep the photos coming when she gets on the water. Not many fish around in Jan but there should be some squid inshore and I might try and catch my first big pike before it all kicks off in the spring/summer
IMG_1150.jpg
IMG_1156.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg
IMG_1171.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Congratulations!!!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Nice! Good to have a few friends not afraid of chilly weather!

The boat looks really light sitting on that trailer, might not have felt that way going over the fences.
Hank