FS17 Build Planning

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Ak99999
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS17 Build Planning

Post by Ak99999 »

Browndog wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:08 pm If you don’t want to make a smaller first project then consider building the console or a cooler/seat or leaning post box as your practice project.
I am going to make an outdoor storage box for some gardening equipment. It would give me a chance to build on seems and corners and awkward spaces.

Ak99999
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ak99999 »

narfi wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:34 pm Once you have started on your project, the best thing you can do is DO. I don't want to know how much time I have wasted thinking when I could have been doing.

There are a few stages where you need to do things linearly, but for the most part if you hit a wall in one area, you can still work on another area while thinking about the wall, and then post questions about your wall to get advice from people here. If you do this, then you wont be loosing any valuable time because you will still be working on something that needs to done, just not the area you are stuck on.... Once you have gotten some advice, or slept on it, or thought about it some more while doing other things, then you will probably have a good plan of attack and can resume in the problem area once again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis
I totally agree about analysis paralysis. I am just trying to come up with a basic plan and approach. I don’t want to get too far down the build process and realize I forgot some key essential part and have to do deconstruction to fix it. For instance, like if I put a wire chase in and cover it in foam, and then realize a wire harness doesn’t fit. So all my questions are just trying to track down what are the “musts” I need to provision for given my specifications.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

All good, we are on the same page :)
Lots of thought does need to go into it. Just not during the precious hours you can physically be working on the project.....
For a center console chase tubes are necessary, but I chose to go with a side console and will run everything under the gunwale without tubes. This leaves the the area under the sole completely sealed with no chance of leaking around tubes. The Self bailing concept is something I really like and hope will work as well in reality as it does in my mind :)

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Buy lots of wood flour!

It will, can and does fix, cover and saves your ass....

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Capt UB wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 pm Buy lots of wood flour!

It will, can and does fix, cover and saves your ass....

Ak99999
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ak99999 »

Do most of you use cable controls or hydraulic for steering?

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Tiller on two boats and hydraulic on the XF.
There is pure and simple allure of the tiller setup.
Less moving parts to fail.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I have cable steering for mine but not installed yet. From what I have read there shouldnt be any issues with cable steering for this size.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Careful planning on the routing of the steering and control cables will work great. Most the cables flex to a 7" or 8" turn. If you keep it from bending less than that it will not bind and should last a good while. Once you get the hull built and ready to glue in the stringers and frames you can start planning on where things will go. The plans comes with drawings as to the where the frames and stringers go and easy to print the hull and draw in your ideas.
Here is what I wanted to do to my hull.

I did a drawing of the lockers with hatches and then later added the routing of the wiring. I also will be routing my steering and cables along the gunnels (gunwales). Close to the last thing to do. Prediction is my little boat will be to heavy to float! 8O But it will look good on a trailer, that's the way I look at it! :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Tiller on my SandPiper (FS14), the LM18 will be setup for now as a tiller boat. I have looked into remote setup (hydraulic) running the hoses under the gunwale to a small side console. Hydraulic cost more, but is easier to install.