FS17 Build Planning

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS17 Build Planning

Post by OrangeQuest »

Sometimes when I am using neat epoxy and have some left over I add a little wood flour to make a filler mix and use up the epoxy mix to fill gaps and holes and things that just need a little bit more. I go around my build with a black marker and put arrows or circles to know where I need a little added so it is quicker to find when I have epoxy trying to set up.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Ak99999
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ak99999 »

Finally had a chance to start playing with fiberglass and epoxy resin. Made a couple practice pieces to learn. Not sure if you can see the detail, but can you guys give some feedback on how it looks?

I mixed up some ez fillet to join the pieces together, made the fillet and glassed.
B8C4A08F-794E-49D7-AB0F-64041CB41731.jpeg

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Looks good to me, you have a nicely radiused fillet and the glass work looks clean and even.

Once it is cured you can practice sanding and fairing it. Sanding off the cotton strings without damaging the glass and getting the whole thing smooth enough to paint :P

Ak99999
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ak99999 »

What grit sand paper do you usually start with?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

60 or 80 is what I do most of my sanding with, 100-120 for prep for paint.....
Coarser than 60-80 I seem to cause more accidental damage and go through disks a lot faster(but its great for rough shaping and removing lots of material fast), 120 made a glassy smooth surface once painted on my canoe so I don't see any need to go finer than that either.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

If you are like the rest of us at some point you will be asking yourself if that is tough enough, should I add more glass? So if that is just scrap then cut off a piece and then try to break it. Nothing like a little first hand knowledge.

Ak99999
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ak99999 »

I held it down and kicked it as hard as I could and it didn’t give. Seems pretty strong.

Is there a good sanding tutorial out there you guys can recommend?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The best I can tell you is to do some sanding. The tape you used has threads that stick up after curing. That is what you feel if you run your hand over it now. Sand it down until the threads are gone and the glass weave is just starting to show. Sand it some and post a picture. The guys will tell you how you did.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Advil, an Audible subscription and 3M bluetooth worktunes earmuffs.

Oh and sandpaper and an electric sander.

Ak99999
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ak99999 »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:49 am The best I can tell you is to do some sanding. The tape you used has threads that stick up after curing. That is what you feel if you run your hand over it now. Sand it down until the threads are gone and the glass weave is just starting to show. Sand it some and post a picture. The guys will tell you how you did.
So i did some sanding. Not sure if I took too much off or too little. See picture below. Can someone send me picture to a good example? What should it feel like? smooth and no ridges? Does this look adequate such that I can apply another layer of fiberglass resin?
IMG_7439.jpg