Lm18 madison 1 step forward 3 steps back

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Lm18 madison 1 step forward 3 steps back

Post by Cbuf »

I was so excited to get my long panels together. I planned the lay up of glue between the joint. Perfect mix of epoxy, pre wet the seam, let it gel, put on the cloth, mixed final coat. Everything was great. Flipped the panel did the same on the other side. This morning I was getting ready to bring the panels where I'm working on the boat. Hmmm. Something isn't quit right. I dont remember this much curve. Pulled out the drawings. O boy, the back panel on the side boards are upside down!. O crap. I had labeled all joints a to a, b to b and so on. Those joints were E and F. Apparently when I was writing the letter I underlined the F and miss took it for an E. Lol. All I can do is laugh and switch back to using numbers.

Any considerations when grinding off a fiberglass seam?

Thanks
Cbuf
Attachments
20190608_070851.jpg
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Lm18 madison 1 step forward 3 steps back

Post by Capt UB »

Cut down the middle of the splice. On the inside use butt blocks. Yes they will be seen inside.

Make sure to only put the butt blocks on the inside panel. Not sure how big they should be, leave the bottom of the butt block 1/4" from edge of panel.

http://bateau2.com/howto/long_panel.php

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

If glass splice was good enough first time why wouldn't it be the preferred method second time?

Cut the seam, grind off the glass, when you glass the splices back together with the proper panels make sure you have enough thickened epoxy between panels to make up for what you removed with the saw blade.(nearly a negligible amount)

The beauty of the plans and materials used in these boats is you cant screw anything up beyond what you can grind off and fix with some epoxy and fillers :) trust me, we have all done something that needed fixed :p no big deal

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

narfi wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:20 pm If glass splice was good enough first time why wouldn't it be the preferred method second time?

Cut the seam, grind off the glass, when you glass the splices back together with the proper panels make sure you have enough thickened epoxy between panels to make up for what you removed with the saw blade.(nearly a negligible amount)

The beauty of the plans and materials used in these boats is you cant screw anything up beyond what you can grind off and fix with some epoxy and fillers :) trust me, we have all done something that needed fixed :p no big deal

So this is a butt splice with glass not a butt block?

I missed that part, I thought it was a scarf joint.

But still he will have to cut the other side now. Leave the glass/epoxy on the side you are flipping.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I am just going off what I see on the picture.... I dont own plans for that boat, but I know that on mine there were no but blocks, just glass tape splices like i see in the picture here.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

narfi wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:20 pm The beauty of the plans and materials used in these boats is you cant screw anything up beyond what you can grind off and fix with some epoxy and fillers :) trust me, we have all done something that needed fixed :p no big deal
So true. I can nearly guarantee you that this won't be your only do-over. This building method helps you be precise and artistic as well as occasionally inattentive, and it all turns out OK.

If I were to separate those panels, I'd grind off the glass then cut the seam with the smallest blade I could find, and move on. I'd even try scoring it with a utility blade a few times and see if I could get it to crack.

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

I wound up just grinding if off and doing it over. The only thing hurt was my pride. I'm heading down to marco island for the week of fishing and fun. When I get back I'll turn it into a hull.

Thanks for all your input.

Cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173