Any ideas on how to use this space...

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Any ideas on how to use this space...

Post by Capt UB »

LM18 low sheer

I'm adding to the casting deck, somewhere between 18" to 20" aft.

Installing a new frame (B2), I have only a 5" tall opening under the support for the casting deck to the cockpit deck/sole.

I think I need to add a center support in the B2 frame, do to the top support being less then 2.5" and not 3" like JM has in the drawings for frames.

So I will have two openings,

I don't really don't need any more storage and do not want a hatch there.

But thought about tackle drawers on the front?

Or just leave open... the front.

The inside height is just under 8".

Thanks for any ideas
IMG_20190616_141106960~3.jpg

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Any ideas on how to use this space...

Post by Cbuf »

Add 3900 tackle box storage Slots where you can slide them in and they will not fall out. This way you dont need to bring a tackle bag/box that gets in the way. Then when you need to re tie or re rig you can sit on the cooler or what ever you have in front, pull out a box, re rig close it up and put it back in.

Cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Cbuf wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:00 pm Add 3900 tackle box storage Slots where you can slide them in and they will not fall out. This way you dont need to bring a tackle bag/box that gets in the way. Then when you need to re tie or re rig you can sit on the cooler or what ever you have in front, pull out a box, re rig close it up and put it back in.

Cbuf
Need to see/get the 3900 boxes.. Thanks.
Maybe Bass pro later this week!

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Looks like a perfect location for life jackets to me. Maybe with a strap or bungee across the opening to keep them in there.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Cbuf wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:00 pm Add 3900 tackle box storage Slots where you can slide them in and they will not fall out. This way you dont need to bring a tackle bag/box that gets in the way. Then when you need to re tie or re rig you can sit on the cooler or what ever you have in front, pull out a box, re rig close it up and put it back in.

Cbuf
Big ditto 3900s.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

silentneko wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:55 pm Looks like a perfect location for life jackets to me. Maybe with a strap or bungee across the opening to keep them in there.

Maybe a wet spot.... Onboard life jackets are on, being a two person boat... Going to Bass pro to look at 3900 tackle box storage bins, maybe find something watertight that will fit for life jackets and towels...!

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

It would be a good spot for a couple extra horse collar PFDs, spare line, small tool bag, and the 3900 tackle box. Maybe keep a spot for the little first mate to climb in if the weather or sun gets a little to rough for her. Oh, Vacuum seal bag with rain/cool weather gear!

Maybe I am the wrong person to ask what to do with a little extra space! 8O
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Academy by me has Plano utility boxes 25% off right now, maybe a nation wide thing. Had to replace box the guy that does the R/C sailboats uses for his stuff.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

One side for spare beer (warm)
Other side for spare dry ice

Introduce them to each other when the cooler is empty.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

How deep is the space? I think the 3900 are 15.5 wide. I’ll measure mine in the morning. On my alumacraft I built a back deck and stored 20 boxes full of musky baits on there sides. It was a great setup tackle storage plus a extended casting platform. They also make the flat Plano gear boxes with the weather seal the oranges ones. Just trying to think of things that you can get ina five inch opening. Just need to mold a little compartment like below. Also might be a good spot for the passenger beer holder.

Cbuf
Attachments
82DBD925-5B42-40DE-A02A-6F7507FC8C85.png
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173