PH 22 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: PH 22 Build

Post by fallguy1000 »

Service Call wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:24 am stringers measure out okay. Looking at plans am i correct that the stringer should come up to the bottom of the sole?
Most of the guys here put cleats on top of the stringers. A 3/4" thick stringer with a 1/4" dado would require a half inch to get to the sole. Where is gets tricky is shimming cleats up or down to fit. Another way to do it would be to cleat two boards, no dado on each side. This would be less a lift (zero).

Wait for Mertens to reply. He is probably on hurricane work.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Service Call
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Service Call »

thank you been dealing with that my self

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Since you are not glueing to the stringers at this point I am not sure how much they matter as long as they are not sitting proud. The frames are what will define the hull shape. No matter what go for fairness first.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Service Call, please give Jacques a little time to respond as he evacuated the area last Friday due to the hurricane!! I will get an email off to him shortly as well!!! Jeff

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Service Call,

Based on the plans the BL is the bottom of the Sole. This would mean that it is also the top of the stringers and frames C, D, and E. Have you double checked the frame spacing? If you look at the plans closely (page E235/4 Stations) you can see the spacing between the stations. Pay close attention as to what face of the frame board the measurement is taken from. Example: Rear face of frame A to Rear face of frame B is 36" (same from B to C). Rear face of frame C to FRONT face of frame D is 33-3/4".
If this all seems to check out, then wait for a reply from Jacques. Like Jeff said, he evacuated for the hurricane. We hope to hear from him by the end of week or sooner.

Thank you,

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

SC, I wouldn't worry about it. I had the opposite issue with my PH18 stringers. I remeasured very carefully and came out with the same result:

I planed the stringers down and moved on. I've built 1 boat, so take it for what that's worth, but I think if your panels are fair then everything will work out. That's what happened with my build at least.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

You MUST put cleats on the stringers and on the floor frames. Those cleats are structural, they create a I beam but also increase the gluing surface.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com