Classic 21 Express

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Classic 21 Express

Post by changeat44 »

Yep, "Sweet Esmaralda", that will be her name.

My wife's name is the best name my boat can get! It's my wife who makes it possible in every way she can for me to build my dream. She supports me, is very enthusiastic about the build. Yep, my wife is very sweet, she deserves this honor more than anything or anyone else, that's for sure!

Next month I begin with the build of a 1:5 model.
A Classic 21 hull with the enlarged cabin of the Classic 19 Express (CX19). I bought both plans.
After the model I start with "the real thing".

I will be using the boat for day and weekendtrips for me and my wife. In vacationtime I will use her for extended trips inlands.

I like slow and comfortable cruising.
My former boat was an Onedin 650 with a Yamaha 9.9 hp 4-stroke hightrust (see my album).
Only on the lakes full throttle for a short time, but mostley half or quarter throttle. For me boating is a way to relax, enjoy and explore nature at it's best!

I will use the CX21 in the same way as the Onedin 650 only with a heavier motor like 20 hp. A hybrid with a Torqeedo twin cruise 4.0 also sounds perfect to me and is a serieus consideration. But due to costs the Torqeedos can wait for now.

I use the Onedin 650 as my reference. A Grp boat build from the early 70s upto the 80s in The Netherlands, Loa 6.50 meter, Beam 2.10 meter, 1.90 meter standing height in pilothouse with no lowered soil. It was an outdated boat, but I learned a lot about what I need in a boat AND what I DON'T need in a boat. All those things will come clear when I start building.

Also thinking about an additional hardtop with solarpanels. In combination with canvas I can easily make an enclosed pilothouse for the evenings and bad weather.

Please, I need some advice:

I think I need some recalculations regarding the CX19 cabin first or could I build the C21 hull according to plan and addapt the CX19 cabin on the way? Maybe Jacques can clear this out for me OR maybe it has been done before and that person can tell me what the best approach will be.

I'm looking forward to share my experience with other's on this forum and I surely like to make new friends :D

Daniel
Last edited by changeat44 on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Classic 21 Express "Sweet Esmaralda"

Post by jacquesmm »

I would build the hull and do my thinking about the cabin while the hull progress. With our method, you will have a complete empty hull before you need to make a decision. At that time, you can put in, dry, the frames that you really need like the motorwell one and make a mock-up of the cabin with cardboard.
Also, the scaled model will give you an idea.
Where in the NL do you sail? I am very familiar with the Veerse Meer.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

Thanks Jacques for your quick reply, much appreciated!
I will share my build step by step on this forum with pictures and questions.

I live in Blankenham, a very small village near Blokzijl and Giethoorn.
I will post some pictures of the environment here. We do have a lot of canals and small lakes here. The harbor of Blokzijl is 15 minutes cycling from my home.

My building place isn't sure at this moment, maybe I have two options to choose from. I hope one option will get a green light, because it's a 10 minutes cycling trip from my home. We'll see.

First I need to search for decent ply for my model. I want to work with different thicknesses ply as the original plans say. So the model will be as close as the real thing.
The plans say thicknesses 6, 9 and 12 mm. I can substitute those in 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5 mm birch plywood.

I never build a boat in my life, so any questions or advice? Shoot!

Daniel

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

I uploaded a view pictures in my album to get a little acquaintance with you guys.
I don't mind you laughing about my English, I do to :D .

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Building a boat with low quality plywood is a big mistake.

All plywood needs to pass a boil test at a minimum and buying marine grade plywood from a reputable vendor is advised.

In the US, buy from Boat Builder Central.

I once bought 5/8" plywood from home depot that was so poor a screw insertion would delaminate it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

Thanks Fallquy1000,

I think I didn't make myself clear, it's the language, I'm sorry.

I will build the real one with Okoumé Marine Plywood BS1088 or similar quality that's for sure. I think it will not be cheap to ship it to The Netherlands. Of course, if it is possible and I get a good quotation from Boat Builder Central why not? Same for epoxy!

I want to build a model first with "aircraftply", also sold in The Netherlands as "berken triplex" or "berken multiplex". Berken=Birch (translation).

I never worked with Birch before and I never have made a model out of wood. Birch is advised over here for building a model.

Fallquy1000, what kind of ply do you advise for the model? I really want the model to be as close as possible to the real thing as it comes to weight and looks.
I promised meselve and the wife I make a good model first. And I just like to make things as good as I can. I like little personal challenges.

Has anyone experience with micro-amounts epoxy? I mean, is it possible to make a very small amount epoxy, like a tablespoon?
I know I can glue the model with all kinds of glue and I will use hotglue to tack parts temporary together.

Thanks, Daniel

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

changeat44 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:53 am
Has anyone experience with micro-amounts epoxy? I mean, is it possible to make a very small amount epoxy, like a tablespoon?
I know I can glue the model with all kinds of glue and I will use hotglue to tack parts temporary together.

Thanks, Daniel
Epoxy will work in those quantities but it get's increasingly hard to measure accurately. For gluing the model you might want to use the self measuring epoxy like the 5 minute stuff you see at hardware stores. You can get it in longer than 5 minutes, but it will take care of the measuring, and you can even get self mixing tips.

Don't use that for applying fiberglass though, only gluing. Not sure if you were planning to fiberglass the model. If you want to use normal epoxies in those small quantities I would recommend measuring by weight on an accurate digital scale.

Examples:

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Epoxy-0- ... ge-1405603

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-1365868- ... t-Syringes

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I have often made small mixes with Marinepoxy. As small as one teaspoon of resin to 1/2tsp of hardener. Never a problem. I use cheapo grocery store plastic Tbs/Tsp measures, dump 'em in a cut down plastic cup, mix real well and use.

Dougster

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

Great Dougster and Joe2700, thanks for your tips, I appreciate your quick answers!

I give it a try to make my own and see how it works. Nice to know others have good results.
It's all about measuring en prepping.
I'll remember the 5 minutes epoxy and the cheap spoons.

I want to fibreglass the boat with a light woven glass.

Thanks, Daniel

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Use balsa for modeling.

Buy medicine cups for micro epoxy amounts.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495