Classic 21 Express

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Classic 21 Express "Sweet Esmaralda"

Post by changeat44 »

I will look at Balsa, don't have experience with it, I thought it was very vulnerable at thin thicknesses.

Medicine cups, would never thought of that, very helpful, thanks Fallguy1000.

About a year ago I could have build a little Tower of Pisa from those cups :wink: Glad that part is history :D

blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by blueflood »

Hi changeat44

For my model, I used styrene sheets. A great source is Evergreen Scale Models in Washington state.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... SzUC_Qsfvk

They specifically cater to model makers with many structural shapes, sheet thicknesses. It's the same material as plastic kits and best of all, it required no filling of grain, easy to prime / paint and joints are glued with cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) or melted with solvents sold by them. Cutting of parts is by scoring, glued parts and edges are filed to clean corners. Thicknesses available from a few thousands inches to 1/4". Also, regular auto body glazing putty is used to fill any dents or scratches.

Being an ex professional model maker; there is no better material. Check out their catalogue.

Have fun :D

Marc

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

For the plywood, Bruynzeel is a Dutch company and that is what BBC sells in the US. Even if it has been bought by an Italian firm, it is still available everywhere in the NL.
For epoxy, find Mr Boat in A'dam. He knows our boats and has a good reputation.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

Thanks Jacques,
I know Mr Boat, he organizes mini classes "working with epoxy". Been there this summer and followed one of his classes (you have to start somewhere don't you?).
Nice guy and a good instructor. I can recommend his classes for Dutch en Belgium builders.

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

blueflood wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:36 pm Hi changeat44

For my model, I used styrene sheets. A great source is Evergreen Scale Models in Washington state.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... SzUC_Qsfvk

They specifically cater to model makers with many structural shapes, sheet thicknesses. It's the same material as plastic kits and best of all, it required no filling of grain, easy to prime / paint and joints are glued with cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) or melted with solvents sold by them. Cutting of parts is by scoring, glued parts and edges are filed to clean corners. Thicknesses available from a few thousands inches to 1/4". Also, regular auto body glazing putty is used to fill any dents or scratches.

Being an ex professional model maker; there is no better material. Check out their catalogue.

Have fun :D

Marc
Hello Marc,

That would be a great substitute for ply!

Because I don't have a lot of experience with woodworking I tend to stick with wood, because I need to get a feeling with this material.

Despite Balsa or similar thin triplex are not comparible in behavior with the marineply we use for the real boats, it will give me the feeling of building like the real thing as instructed by the plans.

I appreciate your tips, thanks!

Daniel

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

If I recall correctly, you plan to build your model at a 1:5 scale. That hull would be four feet plus in length, so your material choice of plywood sounds good. If you were working at something like 1:12, sheet poplar or styrene would be good choices.
Hank

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

What peewee said is correct - I did not see the scale 8O - that is a big model. Thought it was about 12" long.

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

Thanks Marc and Hank for being sharp,

I will choose between Balsa en Birch ply.

Are there significant differences between these two? Wich one will be the best for my 1:5 model?
I tend to go with the Birch plywood. I think it will bend more the same as Marine ply then Balsa?

Daniel

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Daniel,

I have used both birch ply and balsa at some point but that was a long time ago. Am unsure of cost difference now but birch ply is not cheap. Balsa stock is limited in size from my experience, not sure about birch ply or aircraft ply. Balsa is a real pain to seal / finish properly being so porous and fuzzy, one reason I gave up on using it. You will waste so much time trying to get a descent surface finish if that is important to you. Birch will be more forgiving but if you plan on epoxying and finishing your model like the real thing - give it a try. Bending birch ply will not be a big issue for your model, I think.

Forget balsa, Daniel. The only positive about balsa - it is easy to cut and is perfect material for flying scale aircraft models and as the core in some boat construction. Apart from that...not so much. I hate the stuff :wink: Maybe Hank can chime in with his thoughts.

Marc

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I feel the same as Marc about balsa- not great for large models, although you could make it work if you were determined. Getting large enough sheets seems like it would be a problem, also. My choice would be whatever decent quality thin ply you can get your hands on, preferably in sheets large enough to cut whole panels from. If you don't go with a ply, some form of strip planking would work, but I think you wanted to build the model in a similar fashion to the full size.

If the panel material is too thin or doesn't want to bend in fair curves, you could add extra molds or ribbands to your setup.
Hank