Classic 21 Express

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
icelikkilinc
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Classic 21 Express "Sweet Esmaralda"

Post by icelikkilinc »

I know The beauty is in the eye of the beholder but HMD19 looks are not for me.
I think the front seems short and cabin looks to high for a 19 footer, hard to proportion all that into a 19'.

There is also a CX19 :D which is the 19 footer of the CX21 you were originally planning.

love the pictures from Urk btw
Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

icelikkilinc wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:37 am I know The beauty is in the eye of the beholder but HMD19 looks are not for me.
I think the front seems short and cabin looks to high for a 19 footer, hard to proportion all that into a 19'.

There is also a CX19 :D which is the 19 footer of the CX21 you were originally planning.

love the pictures from Urk btw

Thanks for your reply,

Your right about the beauty, that's why I also like the HMD19 design :wink: :D
Nice to hear you like the pictures, I often read here on this forum they like to see other environments.

Daniel

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Daniel,

Hey, another HMD19 build coming up 8). If you need any feedback or questions answered, by all means let me know. My build (page 6 in Builders - HMD19 Penny) has been a blast to build. She is now home on the trailer but I will likely get back on fitting her next year. Life took over (got married, sold the cottage, bought a house in the woods, new step-dad :D). All there is left to do is rigging the outboard, small details, cushions and windows.

I had also looked at the Torqueedo for power - I may get one later as a back-up but now it's a Mercury 9.9 Pro Kicker XL shaft. Evan's design and the boats' looks is what I had in mind for a "perfect" cruiser since I was a boy so I had to build it.

To help along, during the winters I had drafted all the construction details - you are welcome to make use of the many drawings; I can snail mail a package if you wish. Those drawings proved to be the key in avoiding headaches and re-do's with every dimensions already worked out in advance. Plus, I made significant modifications to the cabin to suit my preferences.

Anyhow, to encourage you have fun and always plan ahead. It was almost too much for me but my build time frame was way short from the onset compounded by limited suitable weather with long winters (building outside). I originally estimated 3 years with "real" work during the days and boat work in the evenings and weekends. I ended up adding another year at every season's end; it really tired me out but....now almost done after 6 years! My budget was somewhat flexible since I was single with zero responsibilities but now she is edging close to $35K fully trimmed out to my liking, trailer and outboard included.

It will be fun to camp and slow cruise the rivers with my family. Speed is not our thing but comfort is. Don't be surprised - she is huge with tons of volume for living. Sanding all that however :help:

Post tons of photos when you get going on the model and the real thing :wink:

Regards,
Marc

changeat44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by changeat44 »

blueflood wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:27 am Hi Daniel,

Hey, another HMD19 build coming up 8). If you need any feedback or questions answered, by all means let me know. My build (page 6 in Builders - HMD19 Penny) has been a blast to build. She is now home on the trailer but I will likely get back on fitting her next year. Life took over (got married, sold the cottage, bought a house in the woods, new step-dad :D). All there is left to do is rigging the outboard, small details, cushions and windows.

I had also looked at the Torqueedo for power - I may get one later but now it's a Mercury 9.9 Pro Kicker XL shaft. Evan's design and the boats' looks is what I had in mind for a "perfect" cruiser since I was a boy so I had to build it.

To help along, during the winters I had drafted all the construction details - you are welcome to make use of the many drawings; I can snail mail a package if you wish. Those drawings proved to be the key in avoiding headaches and re-do's with every dimensions already worked out in advance. Plus, I made significant modifications to the cabin to suit my preferences.

Anyhow, to encourage you have fun and always plan ahead. It was almost too much for me but my build time frame was way short from the onset compounded by limited suitable weather with long winters (building outside). I originally estimated 3 years with "real" work during the days and boat work in the evenings and weekends. I ended up adding another year at every season's end; it really tired me out but....now almost done after 6 years! My budget was "flexible" since I was single with zero responsibilities but now she is edging close to $35K fully trimmed out to my liking.

It will be fun to camp and slow cruise the rivers with my family. Speed is not our thing but comfort is. Don't be surprised - she is huge with tons of volume for living. Sanding all that however :help:

Post tons of photos when you get going on the model and the real thing :wink:

Regards,
Marc
Wow Marc, you've build a really nice boat! Very inspiring and educational.
I will use yours and other HMD19 builds to guide me through the process.

I've read your topic about building your HMD19; nice to hear that you named her after your sister, that says a lot about you! You can be proud of yourself that you achieved all of this!

I'm speechless about you offering your drawings, I surely will pm you later about this. I think your help en interests in other builds illustrates the magic of this forum. I'm glad your not the only one who does this, I fortunately experienced myself there are a lot of nice guys here that do the same.

About the Torqeedo,
what model do you think will be the best fit for a HMD19?

I'm thinking of the Torqeedo Cruise 4.0 R longshaft, it only weights less than 35 pounds and is comparable with the speed of a normal 8 Hp petrol engine and the thrust of an normal 10 Hp petrol engine.
Specs say use for maximum displacement of 8000 pounds! I'm not sure about those specs, my feelings say it's "slightly" overrated.

There's enough room for batteries in the HMD19 and she can handle the weights. The batteries will substitute the weights of the fuel- and watertanks.

I'm planning to lower the sole as low as possible, I think it could be made about 9" lower as designed.

I also want to make one large opening in the roof (no hatch) of the pilothouse above the two seats wich can be enclosed by canvas. Together with canvas side windows and no door in frame C, I can make the pilothouse more open and "roomy".

Frame D, between pilothouse and cabin has per plans an open door in the middle I hope I can extend that opening wider to portsite, so I can enlarge the sleeping area.
I understand that some reinforcements have to be made, but I think all above is doable. I surely need some confirmation from you guys about these changes.

I'm convinced everything will come clear when I build the model.
Ordered the wood, it will be delivered next week. Getting closer to start with the model.

Again Marc and others, thank you for helping me make my dream come true.

Daniel

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Daniel, great plan !

The Torqueedo Travel 1003 (3HP) was to be used as an emergency back-up to the Pro Kicker if I plan on long excursions. This one can push a 1.5 ton day sailer to the HMD19 hull speed. I only quickly looked at it so more research is needed before future buying. Anyhow, looking back, full electric would have probably been better altogether to forego the below sole gas tank, fuel lines, venting etc..

One other builder Chicagoross stated that the boat handles much better when heavily loaded so there is plenty of margin to carry a considerable amount of extras. Like him, I lowered the cabin sole by 9" and that gives me adequate standing headroom being a whopping 5'-6" tall :) Also, I can also sit comfortably on the portable head in the berth area. The beauty is that you can customize the layout to your liking but keep the frame spacing per Bateau plans. Two people can cozy up real good without being cramped in the 6 foot long berth, as is. You may not need to enlarge this space.

I have not heard from Chicagoross in years but Doug N is another recent builder with his boat in the drink so he may have input as well. You can find his constructive comments in the finished boats section.

Have fun but don't kill yourself building her, Daniel. If Esmarelda offers to help, go for it :wink: some parts of the build would have been better with two people. At one point I wanted a larger boat but glad I got this one. There was one summer of full day sanding when I sat in the cockpit sweating buckets with a beer in hand totally discouraged, never seeing the end in sight. The guys on this forum are really encouraging so go at a comfy pace.

I was looking at the drawing package last evening actually, I will print (11" x 17" ledger size) sheets for you. Let me know when you want those sent. My email is escape1463@gmail.com.

One last thing...get the best tools which you can afford; jig saw, orbital sander are on top of the list (and a vacuum). And budget for a lot of consumables - mixing cups, sticks, gloves and solvents go out the door real fast. They add up quickly. I will include my Excel spreadsheet for budgeting purposes.

Marc