Panga question for Jacques

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Panga question for Jacques

Post by Jeff »

This question arrived over the weekend via an email: "Hi-I really like the panga 25 as a versatile and simple boat. However, it would be great to put twin outboards on it for security going offshore (a couple miles). Is it possible to buy the CNC kit modified (or modify in my shop) for twin outboards? I see that the GS28X allows for it but something is just drawing me to the simplicity of a Panga." Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Panga question for Jacques

Post by jacquesmm »

The Pangas are too narrow for twin outboards but you can have a backup small outboard on bracket, a kicker.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

A 9.9 or 8hp high thrust kicker will push it around 5 knots at half throttle if that helps.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:54 pm A 9.9 or 8hp high thrust kicker will push it around 5 knots at half throttle if that helps.
Correct and that's all what's needed for a "get home" motor. The big engine as a single will be more economical too.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

:Not to drag this on but beginning to love boat building and this doesnt apply to my fs17.....but maybe the next one......How would you set up fuel for the kicker, could it share a tank with the main or does it need a seperate one. One tank feels simpiler

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

I had a manual TEE value where I could turn off the kicker or turn on the kick with the main. Additionally I could shut off the main if needed. They have them at west marine. I ran my kicker off my main gas tank.

cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

One of the reasons for a kicker engine malfunction due to bad fuel (water, particle, etc). You would not want that going into the “oh crap” motor. If you do feed into the kicker (and to prevent issues with main) make sure you have easy to see/inspect clear filter and separator. That way you can stay ahead of fuel issues.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Got it thanks just curious

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Many fuel filters have 2 inputs and 2 outputs. You can have one output for your main engine and one for the kicker. This will let you run the kicker off the main fuel if the problem was anything except bad fuel. You can rig the second input with a normal above deck tank hose/connector. When running offshore you can carry a 6 gallon tank and power your kicker or main off it if you have a fuel problem. I think this setup gives you the most options.

Chessie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chessie »

Still thinking about my building options and the Panga remains on the short list although the offshore abilities of the Panga 25 are causing me to rethink my options.

The sole purpose would be.to make the 25 a 40-60 mile offshore boat, on select days. Because of this I need the security of a second motor. Running out of Ocean City, Md.

Can the 25 be outfitted with a conventional bracket like an Armstrong or Stainless Marine with the built in kicker mount? The obvious alternative is the standard transom setup for both engines.

Any bracket would ABSOLUTELY BE foam filled to help offset the setback and motor weight.

Ona side note, what are the transom heights on the Panga 22 & 25?

Chris
Chris in Maryland