Page 1 of 1

How much more support do I need?

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:55 am
by Capt UB
LM18 low sheer round chine

I'm not sure if I have enough support under the foredeck. First frame A to Frame B is 36" and Frame A is about 15" wide on top and Frame B is about 50" wide on top.

Deck is 3/8" Okoume. The two battens are 1x2 pine. The two deck pieces will be butt jointed underneath and tape along the seam on top. When all deck parts are installed, the hull and deck will be taped and glass cloth on top.

The photo's show what support there is now. There will be an "off the shelf" hatch just forward of cockpit.

Thanks,
Bob

Re: How much more support do I need?

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:20 am
by Cbuf
I ran into the same issue. Jumping around put a lot of stress on the seem. I put 5 inch wide by 3/8 thick backer board running along the seem to stiffen up the butt point. I plan on having a trolling motor on the front so that backing board in the front is about the width of the front compartment . Then I will tape the top seem. It made a world of difference when standing on it. I actually got the idea from one of your posts with the pic of how you were seeming together your floor. I just did it on the top deck.
After rereading your post and looking closely at your pic I think you have a single support in the middle of frame a and frame b. The plan calls for 2. I think 1 would be a stretch on the 50 inch width. I have 2 supports, but I have a hatch there.

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:24 am
by Cbuf
Sorry I do see two supports there. I guess if you are concerned double them up. More surface area for glue and more strength, with less flex.
Cbuf

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:18 pm
by OrangeQuest
Can you stand on it before you glue it all down?

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:07 pm
by Jwhitakeriii
Id definitely do a backing plate under the seam. Ive had some issues with some of my seams showing through when they were just glassed. looking good!

Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:16 pm
by icelikkilinc
Looks very one dimensional to me.
Only joist, does that also need a noggin to distribute the load as cross beam, act as more surface area etc

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:42 pm
by Capt UB
Thanks guys.

Going with butt joints using some scrap 3/8" Okoume.

Will first coat the bottoms of the panels with a neat coat of epoxy, then make a little wood flour glue and glue the ply butts joints down.
Should be able to glue the deck down in a day or two.
If all goes well, will glue down aft deck the same day.

As I have done in the past, butt joints on all joints/seams like the the cockpit deck, aft/foredeck and side decks/gunwales. Did not do butt joints on the hull panels because they had BBC's Puzzle joints (two boats).

Should be very strong and when I cutout the deck for the hatch, I can if needed add some support.

Bob

IMG_20191124_180055147_HDR~2.jpg

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:57 am
by jacquesmm
Jwhitakeriii wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:07 pm Id definitely do a backing plate under the seam. Ive had some issues with some of my seams showing through when they were just glassed. looking good!
That's it, just a butt block in the middle.

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:36 pm
by Capt UB
Got it done tonight. Butt joints!

Thanks
Bob
IMG_20191125_175155840~2.jpg