Best place to mount seat deck hardware

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Best place to mount seat deck hardware

Post by Capt UB »

I would like to have a seat mount on the foredeck for a seat or/and a grab bar. Both need to be removable. Should it go center or aft, closer to the cockpit?

I normally would not have such a thing, but need something to lean on, getting old and the Meds don't help.... keep me steady.

Thanks
Bob

IMG_20191127_065545705_BURST001~2.jpg
IMG_20191127_065612649~2.jpg

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Best place to mount seat deck hardware

Post by Jaysen »

I'd think you'd want the seat "as close to" over a frame as possible to provide maximum support. That will distribute the load over a larger area nicely.

Leaning post might be the same thing if you are "side mounting". But if you are deck mounting I don't think the frame is that much help as the forced are torque. I'd use largest possible base plates to distribute the pressure over the decking.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

My fly line and I vote near the rear with enough room to spin around and keep feet on the deck.....as some looking at adding a poling platform after building this is interesting. I would have thought we were required to hit a support with weight supporting attachments.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Is there a recessed version of the seat mount? It would be great to have a clear deck when the chair isn't needed.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

BrianC wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:14 pm Is there a recessed version of the seat mount? It would be great to have a clear deck when the chair isn't needed.

I had the mount upside down, just to show location. That is a flush mount...

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

I normally would not have such a thing, but need something to lean on, getting old and the Meds don't help.... keep me steady.
Well I AM old and need a nice comfy seat to give my back a rest - I have moved on from just a leaning post or a casting seat! :D

Your 1st pic is too far back - too much risk of tumbling into the cockpit, and your 2nd pic is too far forward. I would aim for forward of the cockpit enough to ensure that you won't accidently step into the void! If there is a bulkhead somewhere near there then go for adjacent to that - in the mid-line.

I have seat mounts on both my front and rear casting decks. I generally hang out down the back and leave the front deck to the young blokes!

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

BarraMan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:25 pm
Well I AM old and need a nice comfy seat to give my back a rest - I have moved on from just a leaning post or a casting seat! :D

Your 1st pic is too far back - too much risk of tumbling into the cockpit, and your 2nd pic is too far forward. I would aim for forward of the cockpit enough to ensure that you won't accidently step into the void! If there is a bulkhead somewhere near there then go for adjacent to that - in the mid-line.

I have seat mounts on both my front and rear casting decks. I generally hang out down the back and leave the front deck to the young blokes!

Was looking for room for a Lazyboy, but thought better of it!

Will need to look more into it's placement. I have a hatch going somewhere in that area also!

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Southern Gent »

Bob, yes, sitting and fishing is comfortable and safer for us older models.
Consider you need room to turn around without stepping off the deck, plus dealing with a trolling motor.
Consider adding bracing under the deck, to support the pressure of leaning back.
Best wishes

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB »

Southern Gent wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:53 am Bob, yes, sitting and fishing is comfortable and safer for us older models.
Consider you need room to turn around without stepping off the deck, plus dealing with a trolling motor.
Consider adding bracing under the deck, to support the pressure of leaning back.
Best wishes

Going to add a backing plate plus I have already glued 3/8 ply under the deck. I'm going to use a clamp type trolling motor clamped to a Gheenoe bow mount. That will clear a lot of space and I will be able to remove it.