Salt Boatworks FRS15 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Salt Boatworks FRS15 Build

Post by RiggsWNC »

Finished stitching the hull tonight. Going to start racking and filets this weekend if the weather warms up a little. We’ve had freezing rain all day but it’s supposed to clear up. Starting to look like a boat!
71146E58-35A5-4F68-817F-1C5834830515.jpeg
EC3E8D68-F5BC-477F-AEA2-92B4E83F1A8B.jpeg
97A9FD8D-005F-460A-B170-D9FDFF33DF08.jpeg
71146E58-35A5-4F68-817F-1C5834830515.jpeg

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

I do not claim to be an expert, but towards the keel you may have to prop frames up. I dont see light in some areas and I believe you need some glue between the frames and panels to avoid hard spots. But your works looks awesome and the speed is amazing. I have been at it for at least a year and well....you may beat me

Jondavis
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jondavis »

Welcome and good job on moving so quickly!!! I’m also in nc out near the coast
Fs14-ls splashed 2-25-19

RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RiggsWNC »

I’m west of Charlotte, almost four hours from the coast. I grew up in Tampa Bay FL so I miss the salt water. It’s also a lot colder here.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wow, nice progress!!! Jeff

RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RiggsWNC »

Going to start filets and glassing one compartment at a time this week. Received my biax cloth and tape this weekend, thanks Reid. Waiting for a respirator and roller to arrive from our Overlord, Jeff Bezos.

Any tips on sanding the tack welds before putting down proper filets and glass?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

RiggsWNC,

I would simply make really small fillet "tack welds". If they are small you can go back over them with a full fillet and then run your fiberglass tape while the fillet is still wet. This will give you a nice bond and will save you from having to sand the cured fillets prior to taping. Use a heavy duty plastic bag to run your fillets. Same technique as icing a cake with a piping bag. Then follow up with a tool (pvc pipe or similar) to make a nice radius.

I obviously don't have your plans, but does this design require fiberglass on the inside of the hull? If so, at least on our designs, the fiberglass tape and wide fiberglass cloth is laid down prior to the frames and stringers going in. If your plans say differently then, by all means, follow what they say.

Good luck,
Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RiggsWNC »

Should I tape and glass over the filets while they’re still completely wet, or wait until they tack up slightly?

If you tape over the filets right away, how do you avoid ruining the nice radius when you’re setting out the glass?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

You can do either way. I like to wait until the fillet has had a chance to kick off initially. This way heat does not build up and cause your tape to kick off while you are still working it. Since you are in colder temps, this shouldn't be an issue.
As long as you make your fillets thick enough (peanut butter) they shouldn't sag but will also form to the tape nicely.
-Reid
Here are some pics of mine to give you a reference:

Piping bag method.
Stringer Fillet (6).jpg
The pvc pipe tool I use.
Stringer Fillet (3).jpg
Finished Fillet
Stringer Fillet (2).jpg
12 oz. biax tape wet on wet
Stringer tape (2).jpg
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RiggsWNC »

Thanks for those pictures dude, very helpful trick with that PVC pipe for radiuses.