Salt Boatworks FRS15 Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Salt Boatworks FRS15 Build

Post by RiggsWNC »

Hi all, about two weeks ago I got going on Salt Boatworks’ 15 foot skiff, the FRS15. I have been pouring over this forum for a couple months as I plan the thing out in my head, so I figured I will start a build thread in order to show everyone what I’m doing and ask better questions. This is my first boat build, and two months ago I had no idea how a boat was built or what an epoxy filet was. I’m using Okoume plywood, 10 oz biaxial, 6 inch tape for seams and MarinEpoxy resin. I’m located in Western NC, on the Catawba River.

I will begin stitching this week. Right now I have my hull panels scarfed and glued up. I will be posting pictures as we go along, but right now there aren’t any good ones.

I will be sticking to the plans for the most part, with the exception of adding a small center console for a remote steer 20-25 hp. I will be adding a bow mount trolling motor. Thanks all.

RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Salt Boatworks FRS15 Build

Post by RiggsWNC »

C69631E0-B4B7-4BB9-B572-5F2DF709ED76.jpeg
9C38525E-CF7A-4B49-A252-6D2CC77CAC39.jpeg
Here are some obligatory pictures.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Nice work area! Should help keep things moving alone.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

RiggsWNC, welcome to the Builders Forum!! We look forward to watching your build!!! Nice shop, do you have heat in there? Jeff

RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RiggsWNC »

Hi Jeff, you helped me with my epoxy order last week, thank you. The shop is heated and cooled.

I started stitching the hull together until I needed a second set of hands that I’ll get this weekend.
7430A1FB-5C1D-4791-85C9-7CDAB1D6235F.jpeg
CF2E993E-405D-4BE9-8455-892E372850D4.jpeg
724E5582-7D3B-4F3B-B93A-7259C529578C.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice start and glad you have a heated shop!!!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It looks like you are trying to replicate the Tollman assembly method. Keep in mind that it is difficult to get a straight planing area that way. It is much easier to build the hull upside down and a jig made from the frames and stringers.
Besides that, it looks really good.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RiggsWNC »

I wish I was replicating any assembly method, to be honest I really don’t know what I’m doing and figuring it out as I go. That being said, the few guys that have done this design have used the transverse frame pieces and stringers to shape the hull, which is what I’m going to do as well. So after this point, I will be using the interior frame pieces as a sort of jig to shape the hull around, which hopefully can keep me somewhat true.

When I purchased the plans I really had no idea this site even existed, and for my first build I would have used some of the plans from here. But since I had the plans already I decided to give it a shot.

I’m going to be cutting some access holes in my front bulkhead today. How does everyone get a nice true rectangle when doing this? I’m thinking of using my router with a fence. I’m afraid freehanding a jig saw won’t get my the results I’m after.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Circular saw for the straight sections of the access hatch/hole and use the jig saw to cut the radiused corners.

RiggsWNC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RiggsWNC »

Thanks Browndog.

If this thread is in the wrong spot, it can be moved to the other power boats section where more build threads seem to be.