Double Ender Grand Canyon Dory

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Double Ender Grand Canyon Dory

Post by PapaDave »

Decided to get started on a Grand Canyon whitewater dory, stitch and glue construction. 18 feet long, 54 inch bottom and decked over. Should be a fun project over the next year. Bottom is 3/8 inch, sides are 1/4 inch , and bulkheads are 3/8 inch.
Dave
Attachments
75BE6C3F-9C15-48D0-8301-F75E9660C572.jpeg
403B7F4B-1A9A-46D5-A4D1-8BDCBD7BBCD4.jpeg
AA9EDFBA-BCA2-4137-9DA4-08BBD94DCB93.jpeg

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Double Ender Grand Canyon Dory

Post by Rmarsh »

Nice! You might enjoy this video about Martin Litton...or maybe you have already!
https://youtu.be/2fG0VyVm4Mk

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Layed on 6 oz cloth on the interior side panels and both sides of bulkheads prior to assembly. The bottom will receive multiple layers of 12 oz biaxial fiberglass and one layer of biaxial carbon cloth bagged on. Slowly moving along with the weather conditions. Thanks for the video Rmarsh. I have seen it before. He was a special guy. This design came directly from Martin and Briggs. Looking forward to honoring their work with this build.
Dave
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2948.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2949.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2947.jpeg

CatfishHunter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by CatfishHunter »

Coming along nicely. A rowing dory will be my next build, as I plan to eventually get back to colorado fly fishing. I'll be tagging along.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Looks like a great project. I built a small driftboat last winter for trout fishing, has been a ton of fun. I assume you've read The Emerald Mile, very inspiring!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Hi VT Jeff,
That is a wonderful book to read Jeff. My copy is torn up from reading it a few times and needs to be replaced. Very talented author! I always find something I missed or a quote I like. This has been a fun build so far. It is a monster boat with a lot of volume for 18 feet. It will get smaller real fast once the bulkheads and decking are in though. Got some free time and started stitching her together. She is being built right side up on a leveled 4x8 platform. The bottom center section is completely flat and screwed down to the platform and the rocker is set with end supports on the ground. Once the interior chine glass is in I will remove the bottom screws and fiberglass the interior floor and then install the bulkheads. The center section of the chines is parallel for about four feet to help track in whitewater. It has some interesting lines in that area and smooth around the rails. I am just doing work when the weather cooperates so far so I hope to make a little progress over the Winter.
Thanks for the comments,
Dave
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_297f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_297e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_297d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_297c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_297b.jpeg

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Great progress! Years ago I went on a fly fishing trip to Maine with my brother. At a spot named the "Big Eddy" on the West Penobscot river, we met a few guys who had built their own boats, double ended dories. I was very impressed and came back home inspired and thinking about building my own boat. I live very close to the ocean so I chose to build a v-bottom outboard skiff, the C17 as a center console. Looking forward to more pics as you move forward.
Bob

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!! Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

You're going great work, and the Emerald Mile is one of the truly great adventure books. Do you plan to row yours down the Colorado? Keep us posted.
Tony

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Rmarsh wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:12 am At a spot named the "Big Eddy" on the West Penobscot river
Prays Big Eddy Campground? Have fished, rafted and kayaked out of there a number of times over the years, great spot! Interesting that you saw folks drifting that section, I'll have to add that to my drift-bucket list. Clearly there is a drift-able section, been too many years since I was there to remember clearly. I remember being puckered above Cribworks in my kayak and my brother and I getting taco'd out of a 2-man inflatable when we hit the terminator hole, fun times!

PapaDave, was that a kit you got or did you CNC those puzzle pieces yourself?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie