Double Ender Grand Canyon Dory

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Double Ender Grand Canyon Dory

Post by PapaDave »

Yes,
My long term plan is to take it down the Colorado on a multi week trip. Tough to get a permit though. I will run a bunch of other rivers before that happens and see what I want to modify. The overall design is rock solid over decades of testing but I think some minor construction alterations will be interesting. I purchased the plans set from High Desert Dories in Colorado and CNC cut all the panels on my own. The CNC and CAD technology is helpful to make rapid alterations for evolving designs.
Dave
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2980.jpeg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

PapaDave wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:21 pm My long term plan is to take it down the Colorado on a multi week trip. Tough to get a permit though.
My wife and I occasionally get invites from whitewater friends doing solo/assisted trips with spots to fill, I'll keep you in mind next time one comes along that we can't make(haven't actually made one yet), be awesome to see your homemade Dory running Lava Falls! There's a paddler in Ct who, in his 70's, still runs it a few times per year in a canoe, Jim M. you may know him, amazing dude. Be a good guy to get to know, PM me and I'll get you some details.
PapaDave wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:21 pm I purchased the plans set from High Desert Dories in Colorado and CNC cut all the panels on my own. The CNC and CAD technology is helpful to make rapid alterations for evolving designs.
Dave
That is awesome!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Got a semi warm day (45 degrees) and managed to put down two layers of 12 oz biax on the chines, bow, and stern. Next fiberglass will consist of two layers of 17 oz biax on the floor and 7 inches up the interior side. Then I will put in the six bulkheads and bow & stern laminated posts. Love the high bow of this whitewater design.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2983.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2982.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice PapaDave!!!! Jeff

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Very nice and clean work!!

I used to see some of those rowing dorys on the rivers in Idaho where I grew up.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Hi Eric,
That is a popular spot for this boat style. I have yet to run any rivers in that area of the country. After a long day, the first layer of 17 oz biax is in and two more layers at the chine to bring the glass up the sides 7 inches. The bottom is 54 inches wide so smaller 1 foot wide biax strips were needed to get it done. One more layer to go on the interior floor. Both photos are looking towards the stern.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2985.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2984.jpeg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work PapaDave!!! Jeff

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

In 2005 we took a trip through Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming and the drift boats working down the various rivers was one of the most gorgeous things I saw. Since then, I have twice been with a good friend in his down the Yellowstone river, starting just south of the Park. A very specific design, for a very specific style of fishing, but absolutely amazing to experience. If I lived anywhere near a river that one would work in, I would build one myself. Watching this with LOTS of interest!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

cape man wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:39 pm In 2005 we took a trip through Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming and the drift boats working down the various rivers was one of the most gorgeous things I saw. Since then, I have twice been with a good friend in his down the Yellowstone river, starting just south of the Park. A very specific design, for a very specific style of fishing, but absolutely amazing to experience. If I lived anywhere near a river that one would work in, I would build one myself. Watching this with LOTS of interest!

Same here! Kansas and Missouri rivers wouldn't be ideal for that style.
I went out a few times in a river dory in certain sections of the Salmon river and also on the Snake river down below the Palisades reservoir.

Regardless, great work on the dory! That's going to be one strong bottom! How many layers will go on the outside?
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Hi Eric,
The lamination schedule is the same for the interior and exterior bottom (two layers of 17 oz biax 7 inches up the sides and two layers of 12 oz biax at the chine). The laminated stern post has been installed and the 6 bulkheads are ready to be tacked up this week. The bulkheads will be taped in with 6 inch wide 12 oz biax and should keep me occupied for a bit.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2988.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2987.jpeg