Laziness/Invention/Fairing

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Laziness/Invention/Fairing

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:22 pm I use 1/8" rubber molds.
Very interested to hear ore about that FallGuy.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

blueflood wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:18 pm The only “problem” areas are the chines, butt joints and wherever there is tabbing such as the bow, glass overlaps and other corners.
My butt joints are one of my biggest problem areas: I used a router to take off 1 ply before joining as per JM's recommendation, but royally messed up the glue up and ended up with an embarassingly unflat joint (4 of them if you're counting at home) which have sucked up a lot of my fairing time. But they are starting to get tamed. I'm not sure if I will ever get those joints completely invisible, I feel like I would need to remove too much glass right at the joint itself or else build up a stupid amount of fill around them, but I'm willing to live and learn, maybe I'll paint a design over them to obscure whatever joint is still visible at the end.

Thanks for the input Marc.

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by blueflood »

Hi VT_Jeff,

Yep, the butt joints. I only have one right at midships (one each side) and those took a bit of time. The feathering extended a good two feet forward and aft of the joint but it got done eventually. The routing of one ply layer as you described was done on the cockpit sole and that turned out OK, also Kiwi Grip was applied so that camouflaged whatever unfair areas were left. The rest of the boat was shot with Monstaliner - even better :D the fairing did not have to be 100%.

Keep at it :D

Marc

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

blueflood wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:24 am The feathering extended a good two feet forward and aft of the joint but it got done eventually.
That's great info Marc. With that in mind maybe I'll keep at it a while longer and keep extending that feather and see how smooth it gets.