Stringers AARGGHHH!

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Stringers AARGGHHH!

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Cut the transom again. I'm getting better at ripping stringers as well.

I used about 20 screws this time, and a few clamps around the edges. Tightened (inside screws first) until contact was made then another half turn. Squeeze out all around, but not a lot.

I'll have a look in the morning but it looks much much better. Used about 500ml (over a pound) of epoxy plus fillers and wetout coat.
Thickened to a bit past mayo, just enough to hold shape when spread with a notched spreader.
Used some excess to start plugging the outboard transom holes.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:53 am Cut the transom again. I'm getting better at ripping stringers as well.

I used about 20 screws this time, and a few clamps around the edges. Tightened (inside screws first) until contact was made then another half turn. Squeeze out all around, but not a lot.

I'll have a look in the morning but it looks much much better. Used about 500ml (over a pound) of epoxy plus fillers and wetout coat.
Thickened to a bit past mayo, just enough to hold shape when spread with a notched spreader.
Used some excess to start plugging the outboard transom holes.
I'd say you are in great shape. I figured 12 oz was sort of short even...but didn't want you to overmix.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I have predrilled some hole so could always fill with excess.

Have posted a photo so people reading this can see what worked for me. Hand turned screws in pilot holes the way to go I reckon. Easy to adjust pressure. Clamps for places around the edges where small gaps show.
Attachments
image.jpg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You can't fill big holes or the epoxy will exotherm. fyi

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

You can save the plugs from the cut holes and use them to plug the holes.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man

Post by cape man »

I have a 3 inch hole in the bottom of my dory filled with epoxy and glass threads for a shoot through hull transducer which didn't "exotherm" beyond working. It probably got hot while curing but not a problem.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

cape man wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:04 am I have a 3 inch hole in the bottom of my dory filled with epoxy and glass threads for a shoot through hull transducer which didn't "exotherm" beyond working. It probably got hot while curing but not a problem.
How thick is your glass/epoxy there and does it seem to effect the transducer's abilities?

I would like to do a small FF that way too.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:04 am I have a 3 inch hole in the bottom of my dory filled with epoxy and glass threads for a shoot through hull transducer which didn't "exotherm" beyond working. It probably got hot while curing but not a problem.
All depends on thickness. 3/4"thick will exo and crack about half time on say a 2" wide hole, so if you are thicker, like 1 3/4; that shit will be smoking if you try to fill it. Mine was just a warning to the OP to avoid trouble. Epoxy can catch fire in a big ball; never saw it, but I have had a couple cups melt..

For a ducer fairing, there is no need to fill the whole hole.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

So fill it in a couple of smaller batches over the course of a couple days. It’s still going to form a chemical link and greatly reduce the risk. Not a hard problem to solve.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:52 am So fill it in a couple of smaller batches over the course of a couple days. It’s still going to form a chemical link and greatly reduce the risk. Not a hard problem to solve.
You can even just wait an hour and a half or until the last one starts to cool off.

I just know he had trouble, so trying to watch out for the guy!