Twin skegs

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Twin skegs

Post by VT_Jeff »

In order to maximize skegging and minimize depth I'm planning to use twin skegs set at the sides. Wondering if anyone has experience with a setup like this, any theoretical opinions also welcome.
Skeg.jpg
Skeg.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 352 times
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Crystal Craft
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Twin skegs

Post by Crystal Craft »

What about a delta pad? Without knowing a scale say it’s a 20ft boat. The pad could be 18 in wide at the transom running forward tapering to meet the bow curve. Little or no added draft. More centered “skeg effect”. Good luck!
Crystal Craft
Thompsonville MI
35 degrees sunny over snowy fields

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Crystal Craft wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:59 pm What about a delta pad? Without knowing a scale say it’s a 20ft boat. The pad could be 18 in wide at the transom running forward tapering to meet the bow curve. Little or no added draft. More centered “skeg effect”.

Interesting thought. I was originally thinking of twin skegs closer to the centerline, which a delta pad essentially gives you, but I figured the further outboard I moved them, the taller they could be without adding depth. But maybe taller isn't as big a benefit as centered.

I'm not enamored with the idea of adding a flat spot, honestly, I'd rather not lose any of the limited Vee the boat has.

Here's what I would envision for a delta pad on this model without adding depth.
DeltaPad.jpg
DeltaPad.jpg (15.9 KiB) Viewed 330 times
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I only have experience with one boat that has a delta pad so keep that in mind as I say this. My 22 foot boat was designed with a pad so it would preform with lesser hp I think. When I changed the inboard out for a more powerful outboard problems showed up. Before the boat topped out mid 20s. Now it will run 40mph. above 30 mph it gets up on the pad, becomes unstable, and will tilt over and dig in a chine. When it digs in the chine handling goes away quickly.