Glueing on appendages

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Glueing on appendages

Post by cape man »

white ash.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

cape man wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:27 pmwhite ash.
Actually, was my first guess...

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:32 pm

Imagine the worst case scenario... A crack develops in the glass covering the chines. Water seaps into the wood, then finds its way to a screw hole, which leads into the hull plywood. Wouldn't take long for that to ruin the entire boat. Risk seems to high to take any chances.

IMHO, at a minimum, any holes at least need to be drilled out and filled.
That's a pretty unlikely case, but keep in mind that epoxy can still stop a fair chunk of that damage by denying air to the rot spores. Even if rot starts somewhere it won't spread far, (At least according to Dave Gerr (naval architect.)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:32 pm Imagine the worst case scenario... A crack develops in the glass covering the chines. Water seaps into the wood, then finds its way to a screw hole, which leads into the hull plywood. Wouldn't take long for that to ruin the entire boat. Risk seems to high to take any chances.
Yeah, I like the idea of drilling larger holes, using bolts and wingnuts like Cape man, and then backfilling the holes completely with goo. But you will need to hold those rails steady while you drill those holes, which could be about as much work as holding them steady while you glue them. Is gorilla tape an option?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Maybe I’m a simpleton, but what’s argon with predrilling appendages, then use Screws? Once it all sets remove screws, drill out a size larger, then fill?

Seems to me that would be the easiest.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:15 am Even if rot starts somewhere it won't spread far, (At least according to Dave Gerr (naval architect.)
Here's my impression (and this is just general bally-hoo on the topic, not neccessarly specific to Dan's chines): Even without rot, if the ply soaks up/wicks in water through some intrusion for a while, it's going to cause soft-spots/delamination, esp if it goes through a few freeze/thaw cycles. This can/does happen with end-grain balsa in cored hulls and decks on sailboats, I would expect that plywood core would be that much more of a welcoming environment.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I think I got it. NOt the greatest picture, taken from the transom looking forward...

Tip of the visible plywood is small strip fastened to the side of the boat, holding the chine in place, as suggested by AA!

I can clamp all 9' of chine, and the first few feet of spray rail to the boat using long clamps. The last few feet of spray rail at the bow will be screwed down until the glue dries. Material at that point is pretty thin, so over drilling and filling won't be an issue there.
Jaysen wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:39 pm Maybe I’m a simpleton, but what’s argon with predrilling appendages, then use Screws? Once it all sets remove screws, drill out a size larger, then fill?

Seems to me that would be the easiest.
Definitely easiest, but concern about the the hole beneath all the surfaces eventually becoming accessible to ingress to makes me lose sleep.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:45 pm Tip of the visible plywood is small strip fastened to the side of the boat, holding the chine in place, as suggested by AA!
I like that a lot. I'm thinking If you added a few of those along the length, you could then use weights on top of the chines instead of clamps if need be.

I am getting close to needing to glue my skeg on so this is an interesting topic for me.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:44 pm
OneWayTraffic wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:15 am Even if rot starts somewhere it won't spread far, (At least according to Dave Gerr (naval architect.)
Here's my impression (and this is just general bally-hoo on the topic, not neccessarly specific to Dan's chines): Even without rot, if the ply soaks up/wicks in water through some intrusion for a while, it's going to cause soft-spots/delamination, esp if it goes through a few freeze/thaw cycles. This can/does happen with end-grain balsa in cored hulls and decks on sailboats, I would expect that plywood core would be that much more of a welcoming environment.
Possibly. That's why I'd personally glass over any below the waterline holes if possible. Especially chine steps and what have you as they take a hammering.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Happy you figured out how to not use a bunch of screws to install the chine wedge. 8)
I think you can figure out how to glue on the floppy front piece of the appendage without screws as well.
If not, you are going to glass over the appendage and then tape and glass the inside as well. No big deal.
Another option instead of screws would be a couple of dowels. Lube them up with wood flour/epoxy and shove them in. Grind off, nothing to fill.
For the record, I’m not anti-screw. I just know things that nag or cause uncertainty tend to create anxiety later, lol.
You’re not doing anything as radical as this but here is a visual of my dowel use on a very stiff piece of wood...

9DD7B3C4-0134-47D4-91A6-1E402FDFC12D.png
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146