Ongoing C19 questions...

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Ongoing C19 questions...

Post by wadestep »

On my OB19 I put something just like this but rated for my HP:
https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/prod ... 100-200XXX
Mine is about a 5" setback and I could have easily moved the motorwell aft at least that much. This would have made a significant difference in the amount of deckspace behind the seat. However, I put a livewell in the space instead and It's a great place for that!
Just some thoughts for you
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

I too like the look of a motor on a bracket and a clean transom.

But, there is a reason why Jacques cautions against them on this style and size boat.

Here is what happened to me when I disregarded Jacques advice.

Originally on the FS19 that I built for my brother the motor was mounted on a Bob’s manual jack plate with 5” of set back. When running the boat on the jackplate we were getting some bad prop slip on hard turns. When I tried to lower the jackplate or mount the motor down a hole or two to give the prop more water to bite into there wasn’t enough clearance for the motor and hydraulic steering ram at the transom to lift the motor fully.

Also, the setback caused the balance of the boat to be off and the boat rode heavy in the back which caused water to come in through the scuppers at rest. This was exacerbated by the fact that I added weight to the rear of the boat as a result of several decisions. The two batteries were placed in the rear starboard compartment, the rear casting deck was made bigger, I incorporated a livewell and baitwell in the rear deck which when full added even more weight.

To fix the problem, we ended up taking off the motor, removing the jackplate, cleaning up and repairing and repainting the transom in order to remount the motor directly on the transom. It was a pain in the ass that added cost, work and time to the project. The motor was able to be mounted a bit lower which eliminated the prop slippage. The motor tilting clearance issue was resolved. The balance improved and the water intrusion through the scuppers was reduced significantly.

So, if you do decide to put your motor on a bracket you must not add any more weight in the rear like I did and I would suggest moving a good deal of weight forward to offset the change in balance too.

You also must account for the motor & hydraulic steering ram clearance by having more set back than 5” (which makes the balance problem worse) or by installing a hydraulic jackplate instead of a fixed bracket that can be more easily raised when the motor needs to be tilted forward. (Which adds cost and complexity to the build)

In the end, the FS 19 looks and performs beautifully without the bracket.

I still have the bracket if anyone wants it.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

I sure don’t want the bracket but thanks for the offer Browndog . I did not realize you had that issue. I’m glad you resolved it and look forward to bolting my 90 Suzuki directly to the transom of my FS19 in a couple weeks.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:04 pm
I will hate to give up this much room in the cockpit, and propose cutting station E to match the forward frames, modify the motorwell sides to closely match a typical frame, and do away with the enclosed structure outlined in the plans. See pic for reference. Not shown is a small step outboard of each motor well side, one side of which will be inline with the motor well side, the other side inline with Frame E, the back two sides will be the transom and the side panel.
Hi Dan - as a C19 owner who used it for a while and then decided to extended my hull, I can completely understand where you are coming from. Yes that motor well and bulkhead do take up a significant amount of space. Having said that, the bulkhead is necessary as a safety feature. I considered a bracket too but concluded it wasn't worth the risk of porpoising, sliding in turns etc on a boat that was considered too short for one by the designer.

If you want to gain a lot more useable space, without any major changes/drawbacks as far as I can tell, have you considered something like this...

Thats a 150 HP Yamaha - and you have space underneath a sloping splash well to put things. The motor well drains will be well above the waterline.You retain the strength of the original plans - or close to. I know Jacques cast his eye over this and didn't flag anything.

And you can now get 18 inches from the back of the boat - essentially you give yourself 10 extra inches of cockpit space and still have the safety of a splash well?

The motor is a long shaft (25") which helps. If you had a smaller engine or a bigger cut out I believe you could get even closer to the back without any safety issues.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Fellas, I appreciate the advice and words of caution. I’m a ways away from making any final decisions, and will take this and more into consideration for sure.

TomTom, I need to take a closer look at some of you pics before the stretch to get a good sense of what “as drawn” will look like.

Browndog, I sent you a pm about your jack plate. 8)

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Check it out! ive tried to find more about this build by Welleflicker, but he's dissapeared from the inter web. Check out the modifiied station E. http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=31964

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

If I am not mistaken he built that at a community college/ boat building class - and there was a PDF floating around the inter web that documented it.

I also believe Jacques didn’t love the transom modification because the motor-well bulkhead is so low that it doesn’t help prevent a wave swamping the back.

This shows how my old layout was....

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=58339

Even an extra 10 inches behind the console (the width of the rear facing gunwale) would have been noticeable. Don’t get me wrong - it still felt like a “big boat” .... but you can see how things start to fill up a 19 foot length when you have a center console in the middle.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

TomTom wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:55 am If I am not mistaken he built that at a community college/ boat building class - and there was a PDF floating around the inter web that documented it.

I also believe Jacques didn’t love the transom modification because the motor-well bulkhead is so low that it doesn’t help prevent a wave swamping the back.

This shows how my old layout was....

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=58339

Even an extra 10 inches behind the console (the width of the rear facing gunwale) would have been noticeable. Don’t get me wrong - it still felt like a “big boat” .... but you can see how things start to fill up a 19 foot length when you have a center console in the middle.

You’re exactly right. The school is in Wilmington, NC. Last year they built and then auctioned of a Salt Boatworks CS21. Seems like a great program they have teaching marine tech. I’ve read as many of that guys posts as I can find, but it looks like all the links to his documentation have been broken.

Thanks for sharing the link for your launch thread. I’ve read it a few times and love the name on the boat. Yours is the only C19 listed under build threads.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I believe I moved the console slightly fwd too - though it is a bigger one than shown in the plans.

I liked Welleflicker’s front deck. He may have kept it the same height as in the plans. I raised mine - but can now understand why it was designed lower. It’s a good compromise between a place to store things and still feeling like the deck extends all the way to the bow. With mine if you stand at the front you better have good sealegs or you feel like you are going in the drink! Have debated adding a rail to lean against.

If I were to build a C19 again I would be a minimalist. I would keep the console small. I would modify the transom as I have shown with my mock ups however. I like the extra space lengthwise and underneath. I like that a kicker can be bolted next to the big engine and not on a bracket and I like that it could be sold to someone insistent on twins!

I have also finally learnt that a small boat is a small boat - and the more minimalist you build it the more you will treat it like a small boat - where you carry what you need on and off in well arranged cool boxes etc and don’t treat it like the Winter Custom 72 that it is not and expect it to have a stateroom somewhere below deck!

I also can’t decide how I feel about that Salt Boatworks design - I sort of love it and recoil all in one. It’s definitely got a unique look that’s for sure.

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Just to show what worked for me in pictures below. I do not have a flat top transom, the motor does fully tilt, there have been no structural transom problems in 7 or 8 years (even with a too-large motor), and the motorwell bulkhead could be moved back, gaining deck space.

The sliding may be a thing - but I'm not sure. I'm used to much deeper V boats, plus I added two skegs under the hull to decrease sliding. Not sure what it would have been like without them. It does slide moderatly both at idle and on plane more than other boats I've owned. Not too much, though, that waterskiing or turning is an issue.
Just some thoughts.
wade

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=73192
http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=73193
http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=73194
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.