Ongoing C19 questions...

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Ongoing C19 questions...

Post by Dan_Smullen »

TomTom wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:08 am

I also can’t decide how I feel about that Salt Boatworks design - I sort of love it and recoil all in one. It’s definitely got a unique look that’s for sure.
I’m with ya. I appreciate the fit and finish and the history of the Harkers Island style, but IMO the bow stem is too steep to be as sexy as I prefer.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Gents!

Limber holes in stringers and frames is good, right?

Drill and seal before full length tapes down the length of stringers?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Question. Do you plan on foaming or not?

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:32 pm Gents!

Limber holes in stringers and frames is good, right?

Drill and seal before full length tapes down the length of stringers?
Unless you are going to foam I would say you want a limber hole from every compartment. You can drain each side compartment through the stringer to the center, then drain all the centers to the back(I'm assuming 2 stringers but same idea with 4).

I did it a little differently on my FS17 though, I only drained back through each frame, no holes in the stringers until the aft most compartment(the bilge) where the 2 sides drain to the middle. I put plugs in these aft most holes. This separates the area under the sole into 3 separate areas in case I ever get a leak, but they can all be drained with the plugs removed.

I'd drill and seal after glassing the frames and stringers in, otherwise you'll have to work super carefully around them or will get glassed over.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I'd limber the frames not the stringers myself. Small hole near bottom and bigger in middle of frame for ventilation. Then you have 7 compartments between the stringers. Put a inspection hatch in each, somewhere where water won't get in when you store/dock the boat. No bung at the rear. Then you can visually inspect the compartments, pump out any water that does get in.

Or you can fully foam and seal.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:52 pm Question. Do you plan on foaming or not?
I’m on the fence. I’d like to not foam, because I’ve never seen dry foam in a boat, and I’d like to save the $$$.

Is you thinking of there’s foam, no limber holes?

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Coach's recent accident is giving me more hope in flotation foam. He documented no water after some significant damage. I am going to epoxy coat my FS13's foam significantly on the top just to be sure the cuts don't let water in.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

BB Sig wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:58 am Coach's recent accident is giving me more hope in flotation foam. He documented no water after some significant damage. I am going to epoxy coat my FS13's foam significantly on the top just to be sure the cuts don't let water in.
I think the other thing to keep in mind with Coach's experience, he didn't let it sit wet for "unknown" time. If you have a pinhole leak and the foam sits in water and you keep using the boat the natural forces will eventually lead to fractures in the cell walls and water will get into the foam. Closed cell foam does resist water absorption, but you really need to keep it dry.

I've abusds Lil Bit's "sealed" seat (drilled holes, sits with water all over it, gets beaten from external (outside hull) and internal (me smacking it with stuff)) so I assume there is water in there. I'll let y'all know what I find when I start pulling parts of her off this fall.
Last edited by Jaysen on Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Very good point... :D

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Using foam is the most prudent, I believe.

Water, at some quantity, in the compartment is inevitable. Anything that ever gets in there, even condensation, I would like gone.

Foam and limber holes it is! Limber holes in the stringers forward of every frame to drain toward the bilge, frames drain in the center to the transom.

Thank you, Gentlemen! 8)