Ongoing C19 questions...

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Ongoing C19 questions...

Post by Dan_Smullen »

First, regarding strakes...

With a 1”x1” skeg and reverse chines, what benefit will I gain from strakes? I’ve had them in mind all along, but feeling close to primer, and not sure I want to back up.

2nd, will it be acceptable to sand fairing compound to 80 grit, then prime, then sand primer to 120 and 220, or should fairing compound go to 120 as well? In spots that are ready, I’ve gone from 40—>60—>80, and it feels good.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Dan_Smullen on Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Couple of C19 questions...

Post by GuyP »

I’ve been keeping daily notes. I completely finished exterior before the flip. Looked back at priming notes. I used System 3 Yacht Primer. Prior to first coat sanded with 120. Prior to Second coat with 220. I don’t have a can with me while currently self isolating away from the build but certain I followed “label” directions. Can’t comment on the strake question. I put some on my FS19 along with spray rails before glassing and I don’t have a skeg.

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

I went to 120 before prime. Not sure I gained anything on the bottom as I covered it in graphite but on the top going to 120 then priming gives you wiggle room in highs and low spots.

Cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Opted for these profiles on the strakes. Abandoned the notion of bringing them all the way forward; didn't have the stomach for the laminating and shaping required.

The wide face of the strake is parallel to the bottom of the reverse chine, about 6 degrees reverse of the waterline, and the short side is parallel to the lower side panel.

Will coat with epoxy, fair in the leading edge and all sides, prime and paint. Not going to glass over the white oak, thinking of them as sacrificial.

Thanks to all for the guidance!

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

The designer gave his opinion on strakes in the sticky up the top of this subforum. It's comprehensive. I'd say for the C19 add them if you like them, but they won't do that much.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I agree, they will not make a big difference on the C19 but it looks like the builder wants them. In that case, what I see in the pictures will work just as well as most other sections.
Strakes will not hurt.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:32 am The designer gave his opinion on strakes in the sticky up the top of this subforum. It's comprehensive. I'd say for the C19 add them if you like them, but they won't do that much.
I've read it multiple times. I contemplated not doing them, but I have to. I might squeeze half a knot out of them with some extra lift. :wink:
jacquesmm wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:27 pm I agree, they will not make a big difference on the C19 but it looks like the builder wants them. In that case, what I see in the pictures will work just as well as most other sections.
Strakes will not hurt.
Thank you, Jacques. Also appendage related...

I milled these fender spray rails to attach to the hull side aft. These are right at 84" long and straight, but you can see the gap forward. Consistent on both sides.

I have a notion to cut away the temporary mold on the inside, and then glue these tight to the side, which will straighten up the side. What harm can come from this? If not flattened, what can be the detriment?

The other option is scribe to the hull, but at about an inch at the widest gap, these 2-3/8" wide rails will look a little silly scribed to the hull.

Thoughts? :doh:

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Kerf the back end or steam bend?

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:42 am Kerf the back end or steam bend?
Split the difference in the hump fore and aft, and went the scribe route. I think they'll be ok.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Ongoing C19 questions...

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Strakes have been applied. Coated with neat, filleted in with epoxy cabosil mix. Then sanded just enough to knock down the lumps and bumps.

However, there are a few spots where I sanded through the epoxy, and white oak is exposed.

Question is, should these be completed coated again before fairing, or can I fair over the bare wood spots and then prime with S3 yacht primer?