SOBX Little Big Boat GV15 spray rails or reverse chines?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

SOBX Little Big Boat GV15 spray rails or reverse chines?

Post by BrianC »

I’m trying to decide on a spray rail configuration and could use some help sorting through my options.

Here are a couple of photos of Fritz’s Zen Basser GV15 and while these were taken to show the effects of a hook in the hull bottom, they also show the kind of spray that can be expected. The first photo would only happen at lower speeds like when slowing down to cross other boat wakes. The second photo is what I should see when under way at planning speeds with the spray exiting the back half of the underside of the hull.

This is a GV17 which has a similar hull bottom to the GV15 and show what the spray will look like when well below planing speed. At low speeds, this hull pushes a lot of water up front! Since the GV15 has a lower shear, it will likely be wet when crossing boat wakes etc.

Here is the bow area of my GV15 — I’m not sure if anything can be done to help direct spray down from the bow area when going at lower speeds, ideas?? :doh:

Another GV15 builder, Huntsabunch, posted on thehulltruth board: “I can't trim the bow high enough to get the wake to break behind the seat, making for a wet ride in a chop.“ Several people replied with suggestions such as “…need to fit a small turn down along the chine to deflect the spray down and out !!” and “The chine at the front needs a spray rail to deflect the water DOWN AND OUT !! down so the wind doesn't catch it and flick it up and over !"

My current plan is to mount spray rails about 2” above the level of the sole. These would run along the back half of the boat. The rub rail would also provide a "last line of defense"!

Another alternative would be to mount the spray rails at the chine like on this GV17.

Any other suggestions?
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: SOBX Little Big Boat GV15 spray rails or reverse chines?

Post by wegcagle »

Brian,

I put reverse chine on mine and the spray was WAY further back than the pictures above. They definitely helped pick up the back end and pushed the spray further back. If I had it to do again I would've kept the reverse chines, but added some spray rails along the side as well. I always LOVED the look of LarryB OD18 spray rails. I think it will be tough to build bid effective spray rails on the GV15, but I'm sure with alot of thought and measurement you'll be able to make it look great, and be effective!

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SOBX Little Big Boat GV15 spray rails or reverse chines?

Post by jacquesmm »

Are we talking spray rails or bad hull shape?
No problem with the spray rail preferences and yes, they work well on the OD16/18 but let's not be confused, no spray rail will ever fix a hook in the bottom.
The pictures of the GV15 are very clear. The builder did the right thing, he fixed (filled) the hook and it planes like a different boat. That's the way to do it.
After that, you can install spray rails but first, take care of the hull shape, it will fix 90% of the "problem".

BTW, be wary of the Hulltruth forum. lots of weird advice on there.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com