13' Boston Whaler bench, console, interior wood replacement

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Mike Garone
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

13' Boston Whaler bench, console, interior wood replacement

Post by Mike Garone »

Hey guys,

Going to help a buddy out to get his 13' whaler back up and running. The wood bench's and console is rotten. What species of wood are appropriate for this application

Madgar

Re: 13' Boston Whaler bench, console, interior wood replacement

Post by Madgar »

Mike, the wood I used was mahogany I picked up at local lumber yard. However, specialty marine will sell you a completed kit for not much more in price than I had in my lumber and Spar finishng. Take a look

https://www.specialtymarine.com/collect ... -1977-1999

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

If used them before after buying my third whaler in 2005. A 1984 13 footer. Bought a pair of stainless side rails. Good quality and fit nicely. I was toying around with rehabbing a Montauk when I started my current BBC build.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

African Mahogany

I had access to plans, but lost the rights when I told someone their avatar was the loser flag. Sorry southern friends.

Anyhow, if you have access to the parts plans; do tell.

I need to find the dimensions.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Madgar

Post by Madgar »

Fallguy, I sent you the plans/dimensions in PDF.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Madgar wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:55 am Fallguy, I sent you the plans/dimensions in PDF.
I got them and super grateful.

Specialty Marine is known to be a seller of poorer quality products. Their finishes are not good. Building the parts is a much better way to go.

For most southern climates; you need about 10 coats of finish. Put about 3 on at a time after tack free. Then sand in an upward progression starting where you need to say 180-220 after first 3; going to 320 in later passes. Usually, you need to trip back to the 180 here and there, but be careful on edges.

If your climate is very harsh; 20 coats is not unheard of. This allows you a two year recoat time and then a light sand and recoat each time.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man

Post by cape man »

Going back to your original question it is Mahogany in all the traditional Boston Whalers.

You might also consider using a quality two part Urethane topcoat in clear instead of multiple layers of varnish, that eventually will need to be refurbished no matter what. I have recently switched to the EMC Quantum 99 Urethane in high gloss clear to finish some woodwork on the OD 18, a cedar strip canoe, and some outdoor furniture. Seal the wood in several layers of epoxy, sand down to 400 or so, and paint it with the clear paint. It dries super hard, and is a really good UV protection for the epoxy. A quart of that stuff will more than be enough for the Whaler, and if you build the wood pieces from scratch it will still be WAY cheaper than buying the restoration kits listed here.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Mike Garone
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mike Garone »

Thanks everyone