FS-17 Again

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS-17 Again

Post by TomW1 »

Rover1 are you going with a side console on your FS17. It is a small boat to do that on. If you think of all the weight of the console and gear on it you have about a 100-125lbs then you add a seat behind it for you and you add your weight you have another 250 or more lbs, all dragging the starboard side down. A center console would be a better choice for the FS17 and many have been built with one. Yours will be the the first side console. I hope it works out for you. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

TomW1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:43 am Yours will be the the first side console.
Mine is a side console, but I balanced it out with another console on the port side with the fuel tank in it. So 2x side consoles each with a seat in front of it, one houses the fuel tank and the other the battery, electrical, steering and engine controlles. Nothing under the sole.

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Hi Tom, Narfi,
I am aware of the weight distribution issue. The battery and fuel will go on the port side.
Eventually there will be another console but for now the bench seat will be it.
Plan is to split the bench and put battery or fuel inside of that. There will also be a live well on the port side.
If I have to I will add some weight where needed. Odds are pretty good that there will be another person in the boat whenever I go out.
I have also located steering as close to center as possible.
Actually more concerned about front to back weight than the side to side.
Rover1

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Rover1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:37 am Hi Tom, Narfi,
I am aware of the weight distribution issue. The battery and fuel will go on the port side.
Eventually there will be another console but for now the bench seat will be it.
Plan is to split the bench and put battery or fuel inside of that. There will also be a live well on the port side.
If I have to I will add some weight where needed. Odds are pretty good that there will be another person in the boat whenever I go out.
I have also located steering as close to center as possible.
Actually more concerned about front to back weight than the side to side.
Rover1
Okay good as long as you are aware of the weight distribution, your good. Let me help you with the for and aft weight. Jacques designed the FS17 for up to a 50HP motor. So if you keep to that or one that weighs the same your fine. The hull weight he shows if for the basic version so add 175lbs for the console version or a total 490lbs. That includes the deck ,fiber glass, epoxy, console. That gives according almost according to the plans almost a 1000lbs for everything else, Motor, passengers, gear, gas, coolers, etc. Even if you go over that adding 330lbs will only deduce your draft by 1" and that is not a big deal.

So now about adjusting weights fore and aft. One of the easiest examples is: you add an extra battery at the transom. It weighs 70lbs and the distance from the the LCG just aft of the console is 10'. So the total Lever weight is 700lbs. So you can divide that by placing different weights in different places or one 70lb weight 10ft forward of the console. Ask if this is confusing.

When you get to the point of where you are selecting a motor let me know and I will help you get the right prop. I have done several FS17's from 40HP to 60HP motors. Each boat is different due to there weight as they sit at the dock, and motor selected.

Hope this helps, Tom Love the way your boat is coming a long you have a great plan. :D
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Hi Tom,
This helps a lot.
I will be getting a 40HP Suzuki. Based on the last boat's performance, 10,375 x 12 at 6200rpm, will likely start with a 13 pitch but will see when we get there.
Rover1

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Great Rover1. I took some time this afternoon and ran your numbers through my calculators. Your boat weight will probably end up in the 5-700lb range with the consoles and decks. Not the 350 for the basic boat Jacques quotes. Then we start adding weight for the Suzuki 221lbs, people 2 x 175, 350, gear 250 anchor, chain, safety gear etc. , and misc. 200. Total 1200 or more on how heavy you build her or number of passenger.

Going on this I ran the numbers through my calculators for you. What's an old fart like me have to do but to help you guys but help you guys. :D Any ways here is what they show.

Suzuki 40 2.29 6000rpm max 1200lbs 11.25 x 15
1300lbs 11 x 15
1400lbs 11 x 14.75

All will provide with max speeds in the low to mid 30's. Well good luck on finishing the boat.

Tom

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Hi Tom,
thank you for the starting point. I will keep it in mind when setting up the engine with the dealer.

Have made some progress on the boat:
The hatches are ready to be in stalled in the rear
the rails are cut and coated with epoxy, Ready to be installed.
The console is progressing slowly- Cutouts for the controls and the steering are complete. I have determined the final location for the console.
The bench should be useful. I am planning on making a removable center section for when my nephew is able to come with me. The center can be installed for his easier seating.
The last couple of pieces of glass are in. One piece come out very well and the other has a lot of dry spots. Will probably just grind them out and cover with fairing compound.
Did I mention I am sick of applying glass only to grind it out again! :oops: :help:
I will post some pictures tomorrow or Monday.
Rover1

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Hi Everyone,
Quick question: Do I need to tip primer after rolling?
Rolled a coat on the outside and tipped but not sure if it is needed.
Rover1

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

No need to tip the primer. You will want to do a light sand to provide a grip . I believe that is 220 grit. That will give you a good smooth grip for the final coats.

Tom

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Thank TomW1, No Tipping.

Made some progress-
Today worked on getting the portside rails installed.
Trailer is purchased and in the process of being registered
as noted above the initial primer has been done. today was everything I missed. A lot of spots that need work showed with the primed outside. Will deal with the worst of them but this boat will be used hard and finish was never the priority anyway. People will still say Wow at the boat ramp.

Did a coat of fairing sort of on the floor to take care of some edges on the floor seams.
Also a few spots on the sides were done.

Non boat question- How do you remove carpenter bees from infested wood. My shed is under attack and I have sprayed some spots but not sure the spray will work with the burrowing bas^*&ds.

Rover1