FS-17 Again

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS-17 Again

Post by Rover1 »

Hi Tom,
I am in Beverly. Grew up in the area. Always found I liked it here better than other places. No earthquakes, few if any tornadoes and hurricanes. Agree about the cold. Just miserable.
Tempted to move south...
Rover1

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Oh Boy, Boat is getting the motor installed!
It will not be in the water July 1st but given the holiday weekend I don't think that is a bad thing.
There is also the required inspection and picking up the registration and other paper work.
Also, still need to put the hull paint on. It has 2 coats of primer and the transom is painted but the weather changed and was not able to do the finish coats.
SO, tentatively, two weeks with three at the outside.
Rover 1

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hi Rover1 Beverly is a very pretty town. Don't forget to send me the weight of your FS17 as it leaves the dock without the motor so I can calculate the prop you need. As I recall your going with a Suzuki 40, great motor. I couldn't help my self so I played around on my prop calcs with your boat weight of 1450 lbs and came up with a prop of 11.5 x 15 or 11 x 16 just see what your dealer puts on the motor for you, it should be in that range. Top speed will be in the mid 30's.

Good luck guy love the FS17's. One of Jacques best designs.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Hold on now...Rover1 you are in my town!
Gonna have to get these two Bateau Builds on the water together!

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Hi Coach,
I will IM you information. Which boats have you built?
Rover1

Coach
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Coach »

Sounds good. Only 1 build but its a highly modified SC-16.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63888&hilit=coach% ... &start=430

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Hi Coach,
Very Nice fit and finish on the SC-16! I know the launch ramp too. Launch there frequently. I expect to have the boat back from the shop by Monday or Tuesday. You are welcome to come look at when it arrives.
Rover1

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Seeking opinions:
Below is a picture of The feed through Setup for my Live well Supply line.
The intent is to shorten the pump feed and run to a bulkhead feed through, From there I would have a removable line so the Live well
can be removed when I do not want to use bait.
Anyone see issues with doing it this way?
Feedthrough_Setup_for_Livewell_Pump.jpg
On other issues: Still trying to catch up with the environmental police to have the boat inspected.
Other issues have cropped up but won't get into those now.

ROver1

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Just put a valve in the line, that way you won't have to remove the hose every time. I am not sure why you are taking the hose off as the pump is not running and you have a shut off valve from the intake. I don't know of anyone who does so and if any one does let me know. Doing this will wear out your hose ends over time.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Been a while so I thought an update was in order.
Last report: Boat was going over for the motor install. See top picture.
Motor was way to high.
checked in to see what the problem was with BBC. Yes the transom was cut for a 25 inch shaft motor.
I should have caught this, installer should have called and told me there was an error, BBC made recommendations for the correction.
Took the boat beck had motor removed and started planning for how the correction would go.
added internal backing plate of plywood to bring the surfaces level inside, created an external clamping board to add some additional stiffness to transom.
then attached everything with 5200 and epoxy as needed. Took boat back over to have motor re-installed. That is where it sits right now, literally.

Then there is the matter of the inspection and registration. Sigh, is nothing easy? Dealing with this state is never easy.
I called to have the boat inspected and missed a couple of call backs from the EPO. Finally straightened that out and had the boat inspected. THe EPOs have always been responsive to these requests so I have no complaints there.
The paperwork was sent in and so the thumb twiddling started. Two weeks passed and sent an email and more evidence of paperwork. Did I mention the offices are closed due to Covid. Poor babies, life goes on back to work, They are "working from home". Waiting on the state, always. The EPO said just start using the boat and if the harbor master complains stop using it. Keep proof of effort to register handy however.

This of course leaves me without a boat. Borrow the old boat! Of course, I have to put in a new gas line, fittings, fuel tank and water/fuel filter. Small price to pay to go fishing.

Should note the clamping board did not end up rectangular. Side were cut at 45degrees roughly it would look better. Will post a picture later.
IMG_20210703_082720_03.jpg
PXL_20210722_230532682.jpg
PXL_20210722_230518269.jpg
PXL_20210723_155031980.jpg