FS-17 Again

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS-17 Again

Post by Rover1 »

HI Oneway,
Well, the way my back was repaired I cannot sit vertically with my knees beyond 90degrees. Entire spine is fused into one piece. I do pretty well at what I can do all things considered.
It was brutal surgery.
I should be able to have my son help tomorrow. Was able to do the outside of the first stringer and should be able to do the outside of the other in the morning.
Rover 1

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

I have a mystery.
I went to put in the frames for a test fit. and measure from the bow to the supposed location of frame A. Put the frame in and did not even sit close. In order to make it fit I had to move it back 2 inches. Decided that can't be right so put in the put in the bulkhead panel with the motor well sides. Measured each frame location E, D, C, B, and A the measurements from From frame to frame are dead on. Where did the extra 2" come? Any way moving on.
The stringers are mostly taped in place, all the frame locations parts are ready to be glued in and 2 of the three deck sections have one side glassed and the other coated with neat epoxy. It has been pretty cold lately so not much work done. Epoxy has been taking quite a while to set.
PXL_20210303_135143974.jpg

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Not sure why I have 4 of the same picture. Kept recieving "HTTP" errors.
Rover

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

the overlapping glass in the V can make the bulkhead frames a bit awkward putting back in. If I remember right I rounded the V and corners off of my bulkheads and still needed to do a little trimming in places to get them to fit.

Could this be the issue you are having? Of course measure and measure and measure before cutting :)

Another potential issue is as you get towards the bow where the side panels flare out, they kind of want to 'squeeze' back in, which pushes the bow point down and gives the dreaded 'droopy bow' some people struggle with. Perhaps make sure the Bow is pulled back to the proper distance from the transom, and the sides are pushed out to the proper width.

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Hi Narfi,
I will try your suggestions.

The cold has slowed down the process on the boat itself even with the heaters running full blast.
So I have moved to the basement. Target, the console.
I cut the steering hole for the NFB steering. Should have done that after the fairing though.
THe console is going to have more holes and ports than a wheel of Swiss cheese.
PXL_20210306_001158487.jpg
PXL_20210306_001208796.jpg
PXL_20210306_001158487.jpg
Some where there should be a label that says Beef Wellington. An Epicurian Delight.
Rover1
Attachments
Beef Wellington
Beef Wellington

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Finally found someone light enough to do the seems on the boat's stringers. Now completely glassed.
Next step is to glass in the cross hatch pieces. I can reach those so do not need a flexible back.
All the widths on the side to side measurements are pretty close so no worries there.
More pictures in a few days.
Rover1

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Rover1 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:46 pm Finally found someone light enough to do the seems on the boat's stringers.
I hope you had them do the work before you fed them the Wellington, that looks absurdly delicious!

Glad things are progressing!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

I have a question about old glass.
Does the age of the glass, guess it would be the binder they use, affect the absorbtion of epoxy? I had a couple of pieces that needed to be pulled out because the epoxy did not absorb well. anyone else have that happen?

Meantime, Will glass in the bulkhead then Frame A over the next couple of days. If it's warm enough.

Rover 1

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I have used some real old glass with no problem. But this glass did not have any matt on it.

The Wellington does look killer :D

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Thanks Fuzz,
Must have been some contamination on the glass then.
Rover