FS-17 Again

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS-17 Again

Post by TomW1 »

Rover1 hate Carpenter bees. Get a can of Wasp spray and spray it up the tunnel. You will hear them :lol: Wear a glove when you spray as in all likely hood you will get some on your hand as some of the spray will bounce off the wood around the tunnel.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Hi Tom,
yes, carpenter bees are definitely tough. Seeing fewer but still around.

In the meantime I have made some progress on the boat:
Picked up trailer
have decided to keep the bench in one piece for the time being.In front of the shortened console. It will ultimately be split but location will not change
Have drilled holes for 8 rod holders- 4 straight and 4 at 30 degrees. about a foot from the straight to the 30deg on each pair.
started drilling holes in various locations to run wires. control cables and steering will run under gunnels
Battery in port rear locker.
Will close in the front for the time being.

I am putting in a through hull in the transom for live well water supply. How high above bottom on the transom should this fitting be?

Pictures hopefully this weekend.

Next week
put boat on trailer
sand and paint hull
complete motor controls install
and add switch panel for lights etc.

Rover1

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I assume you will be pumping your water to your live well. I would put the fitting as near to the hull bottom as possible on the transom, so as not to be able to suck air. Put the drain next to it so you have matching fittings :!: and plug that in the bait well, so when you pull the plug it drains well. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Excellent, Thanks Tom.
Rover1

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

short update:
boat is on trailer
Console in place. did dry fit of controls.
still have to schedule motor install
did have to fiddle with trailer setup
Had to put the boat on the trailer so I could continue working on it. Having the boat up higher and in the open makes things easier.

couple of pictures:
Boat starting out of shed.jpg
trash infront of boat on trailer.jpg
MakeUp for boatbuilders.jpg
Dave at work.jpg

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Well. made appointment to have the motor installed! 40HP Suziki. Expecting around 30MPH when broken in. Paint and rub rail this week I hope.
This is one project I will be glad to have done.
Rover1

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Rover1!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Rover1 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:22 am Well. made appointment to have the motor installed! 40HP Suziki. Expecting around 30MPH when broken in. Paint and rub rail this week I hope.
This is one project I will be glad to have done.
Rover1

Rover1 if you like I can calculate your top speed and help you select a prop using my calculators. I would need the weight of boat as it is sitting at the dock ready to leave it. So boat weight, people gear, fishing gear, safety gear, coolers and contents, fuel at 6lbs per gal. etc. Do not include the motor weight as I will pull that when I look up the specs. Don't forget the weight of your fuel lines, electrical cables, chase tubes and controls, and electronics.

Well keep following your build. Love the FS17, propped one of the first ones ever built, it was heavy and had a 60HP Yamaha on it.

Let me know as you get closer to the finish.

Tom

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Hi Tom, Thankyou for the offer. Hopefully have the boat back in only a week after being dropped off.

For anyone who may be interested and in New England. I have a 4 HP Tohatsu 4 stroke outboard. About 12 years old probably needs work. If interested let me know.
I am North of Boston.
Rover1

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Rover1 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:25 pm Hi Tom, Thankyou for the offer. Hopefully have the boat back in only a week after being dropped off.

For anyone who may be interested and in New England. I have a 4 HP Tohatsu 4 stroke outboard. About 12 years old probably needs work. If interested let me know.
I am North of Boston.
Rover1
Okay I always do it on your schedule, I have plenty of time being retired.. By the way I lived in Lynnfield for a number of years. Which town are you in. I really loved the North Shore. Just to dang cold. Love my NC mountains and lake now. :D

Tom