FS-17 Again

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS-17 Again

Post by VT_Jeff »

Progress is progress Rover, keep chipping away. Sucks about the back issues and the current conditions that make helping it impossible. Hope things stay manageable and you can continue moving things forward.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Moving slowly...
Laid down port side seam glass this afternoon.
Tomorrow the starboard side which I will have to do alone since buddy is working. Me too, but things are in flux at work so no telling what will happen.
seam glassing
seam glassing
seam glassing
seam glassing
PXL_20210110_190845271.jpg
PXL_20210110_190845271.jpg
PXL_20210110_190850305.MP.jpg
The spots that look dry are well saturated and we rolled out the vast majority of the air pockets.
Starting to think of names the following have come to mind: Bottom Feeder, Blue Boat, The Appollo, But the one that is winning so far is Sea Rover. Based on the fact this boat will go everywhere I go.
Slowly,
Rover 1

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Boats looking good. Coming up with a name for the boat is always a tough thing for me.

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

I was day dreaming in the shed and decided to dry-fit the motor well frames.
What I found was a big space between the motor well sides and the transom. Not sure what to do about it.
add another layer of plywood to fill the space? Some trimming on the corners will help but this is about a half inch. Need guidance.
This picture shows significant space between motor well side and the transom. Seeking comment.
This picture shows significant space between motor well side and the transom. Seeking comment.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I would have to look at my plans again but is that notch for the clamping board for the partial height clamping board? It looks like you did your thicker transom full height so no need for the notch?

If no one else answers before I will try checking my plans tomorow.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

narfi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:38 am I would have to look at my plans again but is that notch for the clamping board for the partial height clamping board? It looks like you did your thicker transom full height so no need for the notch?

If no one else answers before I will try checking my plans tomorow.
I think you are correct. If Rover made the full transom the thickness of the clamping board they would need to extend that notch cutting the entire stringer to the shorter length. Check the plans first but that seems like the problem.

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Narfi, Joe,
This is the kit version. Don't think the space is supposed to be there. On the lower section there is not enough space to make up the difference in the gap at notch.
Pretty sure it and the stringers are supposed to be hard to the transom. Not full height transom. clamping board stops at the top of stringers.
Rover1

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

If all notches and frames are properly assembled, that part should touch the transom.
I remember building the prototype of the FS17LS from a kit and we did not have that problem.
I don't have the kit model but will check as soon as I get a copy.
In the mean time, I would add a slice of plywood there, covered with a 4 to 6" wide double (sister block). It will be very strong and you should have enough ply left over for that.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Ok, I just looked at my plans.
The notch in the motorwell frames is supposed to be 1 1/4" deep.
The transom is made up of 4 layers of 3/8", the actual transom + 3 layers of clamping board, the 3 layers of 3/8 + glue seams should be right at 1 1/4" so it should fit better than you have shown.
Is it possible you have too few of clamping boards or they are on the outside of the transom instead of the inside? It is hard to tell in your picture but it looks like maybe only 3 layers total instead of 4?

When something doesn't fit in my plans, I usually assume I did something wrong and try to figure out where the issue was and correct it before going forward.... I hope this isn't the case for you though.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I just went back through your pictures, I think that you only have 2 layers of clamping board instead of 3 :(
At this stage I think it should still be fairly easy to glue one more layer in there, but (depending on what Jacques says of course) I suspect it will limit the size of engine you will be able to hang on it if you leave it as is.

Page 5 of the plans,
The transom is made of four parts: one full transom and three smaller parts at the top for the
clamping board. Cut the transom first and use it as a template to scribe the clamping board pieces.
Note that to save plywood, we show two layers of the clamping board made in two pieces. Sandwich
them between the large transom and the one piece clamping board. Offset the cuts, one each side.
See remarks below about the transom and clamping board.
Also the first page of the large sheets (both US and Metric) shows the plywood nesting plan, you can see the 1 transom and 3 sets of clamping boards(one solid and 2 split)