FS-17 Again

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS-17 Again

Post by Rover1 »

Cape Man
what kind of soap?
Rover

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I believe he means dish washing liquid, you don't want actual soap or it would leave a film.
Hank

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Making Progress
Washed down entire hull with mild soap and water. One additional soft spot but it was only on the surface not under the glass. My guess is wildlife- cats, rats or birds would be my guess. In the city environment that's mainly what I see. Though I was almost hit one night by a pair of owls.
Did a lot of grinding to smooth the various transition points. Once the soft spots are taken care of I will start faring the hull.
Took pictures underneath and did not look to bad. A piece of spacer tube never come off but other than that look pretty clean.
Also cut the rail pieces.
Busy productive day.
Rover1

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Some progress but not enough to warrant pictures.
Finally removed all the non hardened epoxy. wish I could still blame the rats but it was a poorly mixed cup of resin that was turned upside down.
Moral is mix then mix some more to be sure.
Put glass on the rest of the transom and filled in the spot that had been ground out from non-setting epoxy.
Temporarily mounted some of the side rails with bolts and fender washers.
Getting close to fairing the bottom.
That's it for today. can't wait until I can take legitimate progress pictures.
Rover1

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Made a small of progress.
Started rub rail attachment
Started application of purple fairing materialp
Drilled drain in the transom but may be redrilling in the future.
IMG_20201004_173102.jpg
IMG_20201004_173102.jpg
Aiming for the flip!
Rover1
Attachments
IMG_20201004_173122.jpg

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

More facing compound. More sanding. Add more repeat....
Probably to much compound creating more sanding.
PXL_20201011_143930615.jpg
PXL_20201011_143915332.jpg
After a lot of sanding.
After a lot of sanding.
I am hoping that ounce more will be last before I can start on the quick fair material. Meaning more sanding........

Rover1
Attachments
PXL_20201011_143857541.jpg

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

I would add some pictures but not much has changed. Add fairing material and sand, find a low spot and fill. Finally broke down and ordered a sanding board with rolls of sanding material. Still aiming for the Thanksgiving weekend flip. If I can find enough people.
Rover1

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Winter has arrived in New England. That means worse than SN*%, Slow setting epoxy in the cold temperatures.
Put another coat of purple goo down last night and found it still tacky this morning.
On the plus side I have started assembling the console which I bought in case I decided to go CC. I was thinking that an extension might be useful.
My helper is still going strong with enthusiasm. Even sanding! Was using an infra red heater but it is not as
effective as I was hoping. Back to the hot air standard with fan.

Ordered more supplies. Developing first name relationship with BBC people.

Starting to think plumbing for live well. Through Hull, valve but not sure what should come after other than an adapter to the hose. Pump? Also what is the best location? front, back, middle? I think 20-30 gallons is enough.Open to suggestions.

Next summer will be a live line season, Mackerel and Pogies for what I hope will be Striped bass and Bluefish and maybe the popular tuna melt down. My equipment is not that heavy so having it destroyed is all I can expect.
Rover1

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Rover1 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:17 am Winter has arrived in New England. That means worse than SN*%, Slow setting epoxy in the cold temperatures.
Put another coat of purple goo down last night and found it still tacky this morning.
I'm right there with ya! I'm fortunate to build in a basement but keeping it warm is $$$.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Indian Summer!

Have been sanding to beat the devil! Went over the entire boat last weekend with fairing compound. Still a few spots that look like sand traps on a golf course. But mostly done the big stuff.
I did note that the areas my buddy put fairing on were MUCH smoother to start and required much less sanding. Spots I did? well some required a grinder to correct. One final coat for the bottom then graphite and epoxy.
The sides are not to bad. Saturday is fill the low spots with Quick Fair day. With nice weather this weekend I hope to have two coats with final sanding Sunday afternoon.
The section that bothers me is the bow. Have done three coats but it still feels rough even after sanding with multiple grits of sand paper.

The one useful tool I sprung for this time was the 3M sanding boat from BBC and rolls of sandpaper to go with it. Work is much easier with the much improved ergonomic design. It works even better when my buddy does it!
Should there be another boat beyond this I will purchase another. Sanding is now with the 150grit texture. Had until today used 60, 80, and 100 grit.
I will post some pictures Sunday.
Getting Closer to FLIP DAY!

Rover 1