FS-17 Again

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS-17 Again

Post by Fuzz »

The sanding/fairing part is the hardest part for most of us by a wide margin. Cracker Larry used to say we don't build boats, we take a hunk of epoxy/wood and sand into a boat shaped thing. He also said to sand all you could stand, take few days break, and come back and do it some more. At some point you will need to prine things just so you can see what still needs more work. All that being said the boat does not need to be a show piece to be a good boat. My dory is far from perfect but it works just fine for me needs :wink:

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:33 am The sanding/fairing part is the hardest part for most of us by a wide margin.
Agreed. If the build method were named for the most prevalent part of the build, it would be "Sand and Fair" instead of "Stitch and Glue". The stitching and gluing is a footnote compared to the sanding!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Rover1 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:27 pm I did note that the areas my buddy put fairing on were MUCH smoother to start and required much less sanding.
Fallguy advised me to start using a 12" metal taping knife and it made a HUGE difference for me. That and making sure the fairing compound was warm made it go on much easier, smoother, thinner and require much less sanding.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Indian Summer!
And I have to work! I thought you got to work less when you were older. Or maybe you work more to pick up the slack of the people with young kids. Now that the kids are on their own Work is the new hobby!
Tomorrow morning is wipe down and start with the Quick Fair. And if there is enough time and light, after work, More Sanding!

Also, because I do not remember. I have some 6oz fiberglass tape but don't remember whether it was for the console or some other part. Came in the kit though.
Rover 1

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Moving slowly......
Becoming ONE with the Sander.
PXL_20201108_000256728 - Copy.jpg
Above, Big Dave Becoming ONE with the sander.......
I was going to use Quick Fair for the entire bottom but decided I will use the last of the purple goo and then start the sides which don't look to bad.
I should have a few more pictures Later.
Rover1
Attachments
PXL_20201108_000204994.jpg

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Moving slowly......
Becoming ONE with the Sander.
Above, Big Dave Becoming ONE with the sander.......
I was going to use Quick Fair for the entire bottom but decided I will use the last of the purple goo and then start the sides which don't look to bad.
I should have a few more pictures Later.
Rover1

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Okay, Epoxy Question: I opened some old epoxy and it smelled strongly of amines. Does this mean that it is no longer any good?
Hoping to use it somewhere discoloration is not an issue.
Rover1

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Rover1 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:43 pm Okay, Epoxy Question: I opened some old epoxy and it smelled strongly of amines. Does this mean that it is no longer any good?
Hoping to use it somewhere discoloration is not an issue.
Rover1
In 2011 I was digging around in a back corner of my shop I found three five gallon jugs of System3 epoxy. The bottom third of the resin jugs were hard as a rock. The hardner was brown and smelled funny. This epoxy was around 21 years old at the time. I read on this forum you could heat the resin in a water bath and it would all return to normal. The heating worked and I built my dory with it. The dory is now 8 years old and doing just fine. So I tend to believe old epoxy is just fine but I would test a small batch just to make sure.

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Thank you for the confirmation Fuzz.
After making my post I did a test and It hardened with no issues. The smell is definitely not something I will be using in the house.
I see it being used in places the odd color won't make a difference.
Thanks again
Rover1

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

I flipped my FS19 about this time last year. I’m in a warmer climate but found I could provide enough curing heat by tenting over the gunwales with a couple box heaters and small fan on the inside.