I need Propeller and or engine help

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: I need Propeller and or engine help

Post by narfi »

New prop came in and it was a nice afternoon so we packed up for another picknick test run.

800lbs of people, dog, and campfire luxuries and food plus full 19gal tank and a 5 gal jug I forgot to take out before we left.
6050rpm just over 30mph

While they were making smores after dinner i dumped everything out on the beach and tried that.
17gal in the tank and me at 185 or so dressed.
6200rpm and 31-32mph.

For the cruise home 4500-5000 rpm put us in the 25-27mph range.

Seems it needs just a little more prop?
Or is that close enough?

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

6200 is right at the rev limit. You could probably go up an inch.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I would not worry about it, since you will never be running at full throttle any way. Nor will you be running by your self. I would not worry about what cape man said as you did not hit the cut out, you have 2 hundred rpm's before you do.

I think you have the perfect prop for use with your family..

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Once again, I'm with Cape Man. I think your recommended WOT is 5500-6000. Better to be closer to the top of that range for longevity. If you will always be running with the heavy load, just over 6000 rpm is close enough. If you feel like you'll be running around with a moderate load most of the time, you could get some more 'cruise' speed with an inch more prop, and still be good on the engine when fully loaded. Your fully loaded RPM would still be 5800-ish when loaded with the 800 lbs heavy load. (200 rpm per inch)
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Narfi sorry I have been away for a week. Props should be chosen based on the normal operating conditions of the boat. If you are going to be running it with just you on board then do what cape man and wadestep suggest. If you are going to run it with a moderate load then use my suggestion.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978