Notching and cutting the frames? -fs18

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
bwhite829
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Notching and cutting the frames? -fs18

Post by bwhite829 »

So I’m wondering if I need to wait for hard copies of the plans. I went through the Digital copies and the minimalist fs18 thread which was incredibly detailed and read through the notching part of the tutorial. I did not see measurements for notching unless I missed it and only one of the frames are showing notches.

Also, are the stringers and frames both notched when tabbing then to hull for the “egg crate” structure?

Lastly, seems like frames are oversized on the jig and then before tabbing them in they are cut down to size and then tabbed in, correct?

Sorry for all the questions as I’m sure it’s all been addressed and I’m just missing it. I’m ready to start building after nearly 6 years of putting it off and as I look deeper into the process and tutorials there are a few questions I have still. I really would love do it myself vs the cnc kit but that might be the way to go

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Notching and cutting the frames? -fs18

Post by fishgitr »

On your stringers, Mark out your frames numbers. Then measure how tall your stringers are at that point and cut the frame that depth.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

bwhite829 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:24 pm only one of the frames are showing notches.
That's because they are all the same.
The notches dimensions are shown from the CL and BL (center line and base line)
The CL and BL are shown on every frame, measure from there.
The stringers are straight and level, the cut is always the same, for each frame. You could even make cardboard pattern if you wanted.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

bwhite829
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bwhite829 »

I think between these posts and peewee’s on the duplicate thread I can figure it out. Templates will be king when I start I think.

Side note: was considering plans from tolman spira and glen l. Support offered by JM and bbc forums hands down has them all beat so glad I made decision to use plans from this site. I plan on posting build pictures every step of the way because everyone who has posted here has helped me a lot

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

bwhite829 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:23 am I plan on posting build pictures every step of the way because everyone who has posted here has helped me a lot
Posting lots of pictures and writing down what you do as you do it serves two important purposes.
1. If you run into issues, other builders or the designer here can assist you, knowing exactly what you have done and what it looks like and what the issue may be.
2. The next guy building can follow what you did, and do the things you did right and avoid the things you did wrong.

3. we all like boat pictures :)