Panga 25 Nose Dive

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Chessie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Panga 25 Nose Dive

Post by Chessie »

Ron

First off I account for a "few" of those views!!! Gorgeous boat and the Panga 22 is on my short list of a future build.

I currently have a 1987 Wellcraft V20 with the deep hull and that huge Carolina bow flare along with a 13' Whaler that I re-did a few years ago.

I have surfed the Wellcraft through about 4-5 sec 4 & 5 footers and while the bow doesn't bury because of that flare, I have gotten it squirrely under the right conditions. This boat carries 20 degrees of angle at the back and every once in awhile, even it looks at me weird.

With flat hull of the Panga in the back, I don't think there is a whole lot you can do other than expect it and be prepared for it. It' similar to the same reason you always put the good tires on the back of the car: Hit the brakes on a curve, back end lifts and car spins out with bad tires.

One thing I have noticed in my boat in those seas is to get off the throttle going down the back side to minimize the bow digging in. This in turn keeps the stern flatter, rather than it lifting a little and getting light. When you get to the bottom, accelerate back to the top of the next wave to keep the waves from coming over the back while you're in the trough. The boat will almost tip over the wave in front as you begin the next surf.

Chris
Chris in Maryland

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

I put in 2 'skegs'. They are placed between the stringers to increase reinforcement and to get them out of the way of the water coming to the prop. As you can see, they don't add to draft, but if they were bigger they would help more with sliding or the butt blowing out in following seas. They don't mess up water flow in turns. They are either 6 or 8' long and run all the way to the transom.

OTOH, I was fishing the gulfstream this spring and had the same thing happen in a 34' Venture in following seas in the 6-7' range. It was interesting for a moment.
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! I am very happy with the Panga and this happens only occasionally when I'm caught in unexpectedly high seas with shorter periods. I admit I was pushing the envelope by trying to recover some crab pots before a storm. The Panga is highly economical which allows me to fish and explore more often. I have 355 hours on her so far. I'm not worried about draft, but the idea of a 6 inch keg/keel seems like an extreme change to the design? I'll have to think hard about that suggestion. Adding additional skegs will interfere with my transducer, so that's not an option. I do have a 32 gallon livewell, so I could fill it for more weight at the stern in heavier seas. I will also play around with trimming the motor up. It's hard to believe I have 251,655 views of my build on YouTube! I only uploaded it so I could show it on this forum under Built Boats! The interest in the Panga shows it's a truly great design. Thanks again for all your help!

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I did a quick YouTube search for the video, but didn’t see it. Do you have a link? I’ll be 251,656. :wink:

Chessie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chessie »

Chris in Maryland

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Chessie wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:18 pm https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... ivKy5yKZ9s

See if this works.

Chris
Nice! I have mad respect for the guys that build outdoors.

Great looking boat!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:09 pm
Chessie wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:18 pm https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... ivKy5yKZ9s

See if this works.

Chris

Great looking boat!
Helps if you live where the sun always shines.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:58 pm
Dan_Smullen wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:09 pm

See if this works.

Chris

Great looking boat!
Helps if you live where the sun always shines.
Looked like he was building in the desert. Great place to build a boat, not the best place to use it... :doh:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Somewhere in southern California where it never rains and the sun always shines and fruit still grows...
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

Built in Paso Robles, CA about 40 minutes from Morro Bay on the Central Coast of California. Follow me on Instagram @boatdays

My wife said, "You can't build a boat, we don't have a barn" I said, if I build a barn, I can't build a boat! :D At one point I had it under 4 EasyUp canopies!

The YouTube build video is at: https://youtu.be/TivKy5yKZ9s