FS17 After 10 Years

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

FS17 After 10 Years

Post by remedy32 »

In a few weeks it will be 10 years since I registered my FS17. I've enjoyed the boat greatly over that time and still check in from time to time to see what others are building, always with extra interest in this design. That said it seemed like a good time to provide some feedback about positives and negatives after these 10 years. It will take a few posts to cover the things that might be helpful to those considering or already building this design.

I try to address the following and maybe a few more things: configuration and layout, material choice, hull glassing, powering, and weight.

This week I finally had the combination of time, boat in the water off the trailer and energy to get an accurate weight for the boat. For years I had guessed that my Meranti plywood, raised sheer, center console boat weighed around 950lb. empty. This includes 150# motor, 50# battery and 2 gal fuel but zero gear. My boat is very simply appointed, no leaning post, T top or bimini, live well etc. Was a bit surprised when I weighed the empty trailer and did the math that the actual weight of the boat is +/- 1175 lb. This leads me to begin my reflections with weight.

REGARDING FS17 WEIGHT

It's important to keep in mind that the predicted DWL displacement of the boat is 1465lb. The height of the sole adds about another half inch to that so the boat should float with the sole at the water level at around 1630#. We frequently leave the dock at 1600-1700# all up and get some water entering through the cheap plastic scuppers mostly when moving in reverse. Any water drains very quickly once were moving forward. The boat is dry enough that we often duct tape over the scupper to keep our feet dry. In the past I've resisted the idea of raising the sole from the plan but in hindsight, seeing that the sole floats so near the waterline I'd would strongly consider a 1" raising of the sole.

Changing the core plywood from Meranti to Okume for instance would reduce the core weight by around 20%, or 50-60 lbs on the raised sheer c/c build. That's a nice savings but my not offset some of the features that many builders want to incorporate into their boats.

All the above is based on an actual weighing of the boat and on the water observations. If you feel I've gotten any of this wrong please post your thoughts.

Well that's enough for now. As I said earlier I'll add a bit more to this in the next few weeks. I hope this is helpful to others planning how they will layout, equip and power their own boats.

Bill F.
Old Lyme, CT

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS17 After 10 Years

Post by OrangeQuest »

remedy32 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:17 am In a few weeks it will be 10 years since I registered my FS17. I've enjoyed the boat greatly over that time and still check in from time to time to see what others are building, always with extra interest in this design. That said it seemed like a good time to provide some feedback about positives and negatives after these 10 years. It will take a few posts to cover the things that might be helpful to those considering or already building this design.

I try to address the following and maybe a few more things: configuration and layout, material choice, hull glassing, powering, and weight.

This week I finally had the combination of time, boat in the water off the trailer and energy to get an accurate weight for the boat. For years I had guessed that my Meranti plywood, raised sheer, center console boat weighed around 950lb. empty. This includes 150# motor, 50# battery and 2 gal fuel but zero gear. My boat is very simply appointed, no leaning post, T top or bimini, live well etc. Was a bit surprised when I weighed the empty trailer and did the math that the actual weight of the boat is +/- 1175 lb. This leads me to begin my reflections with weight.

REGARDING FS17 WEIGHT

It's important to keep in mind that the predicted DWL displacement of the boat is 1465lb. The height of the sole adds about another half inch to that so the boat should float with the sole at the water level at around 1630#. We frequently leave the dock at 1600-1700# all up and get some water entering through the cheap plastic scuppers mostly when moving in reverse. Any water drains very quickly once were moving forward. The boat is dry enough that we often duct tape over the scupper to keep our feet dry. In the past I've resisted the idea of raising the sole from the plan but in hindsight, seeing that the sole floats so near the waterline I'd would strongly consider a 1" raising of the sole.

Changing the core plywood from Meranti to Okume for instance would reduce the core weight by around 20%, or 50-60 lbs on the raised sheer c/c build. That's a nice savings but my not offset some of the features that many builders want to incorporate into their boats.

All the above is based on an actual weighing of the boat and on the water observations. If you feel I've gotten any of this wrong please post your thoughts.

Well that's enough for now. As I said earlier I'll add a bit more to this in the next few weeks. I hope this is helpful to others planning how they will layout, equip and power their own boats.

Bill F.
Old Lyme, CT

Thank you for your insights on the design. I would think after ten years using the boat you would know what you was talking about! :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

This was the exact reason I raised my sole 1" and spent a good amount of time trying to work out the balance. I think this boat would do better with a light old school 2 stroke, but that's not the world we live in anymore. The newer 4-strokes and DI 2-strokes might be to heavy for the stock design as others had similar comments to your's.

I'm interested in your other observations.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Really great to see your post. Your build was happening with mine and I watched closely. I too wish I had raised the sole an inch on the OD18. I used okume but added decks, console, leaning post, bait well, etc., LOTS MORE epoxy than plan, and she was 300 lbs overweight at the end.

So what's really good about her after 10 years?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Remedy32,
Enjoyed your revue. I to thought the same of my FS-17. about the weight. Much heavier than basic hull: Extended shear, extra glass, etc....
loved the boat though. Ran fast and smooth. Probably could have played with the weight and trimming a bit> Tohatsu DI injection was tremendous and went with the boat nicely.
If you ever wanted a nice 17' boat the FS17 is it. Repeating with new boat FS-17-2.
Only this time side console and no extended shear. Still thinking on the raised deck, might help keep the feet drier.
Rover1