Fast Launch 26 questions for Jacques

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Fast Launch 26 questions for Jacques

Post by gstanfield »

Use meranti from BoatBuilderCentral. The quality of the wood is great, makes building easier and an end product that you won’t have to worry about.

For the time and money you’ll invest building a FL26 you won’t regret buying good plywood for the core.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Okoume is light, flexible, easy to cut and sand and is the best for hull panels. Meranti is less expensive and a little harder to work worth, but is very strong and excellent for stringers, bulkheads, consoles, transom and cabin structures.

Don’t skimp on the plywood for the hull you will regret it over time. As pointed out, when you compare the cost of materials to build the hull to the other components like the motor, steering, controls, electronics, hardware, trailer, paint and labor, etc. you’ll find that the hull is a small part of the cost of the project.

Building a boat is not the most economical way to get into boating. But it is one of the few ways to get an economical custom one of kind hand crafted boat.

Raky0311
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Raky0311 »

thanks a lot for the advices, of course $1000 or $2000 is not a big difference for the project I have on my mind, do I have to look for any specific brand or numbers of ply for example ?
btw:can I ask more question?

thanks

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Raky, take a look at our Okoume Marine Plywood on the website or call us if you have questions. (772.742.8535) Jeff

Raky0311
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Raky0311 »

thanks Jeff,you guys are 2 1/2 h from me,I'm in miami

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Perfect!! That way you don't have to pay for shipping!!! Jeff

Raky0311
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Raky0311 »

Another question for Jacques! I follow your suggestion in engines types and contact Beta Marine and receive a quote for a Beta 43hp 4 cylinder with transmission for around $14000,but also I get a quote from a Yanmar local dealer for a 3Jh40 40hp 3 cylinder with 7 deg transmission,harness,panel and exaust elbow for around $10 000,I like the Yanmar more but I want to know what's your opinion, of course I don't' need to make that decision now but I'm trying to put some numbers ($) together, also right now I have plenty of time for planning

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That is a very good price for the Yanmar and the down angle transmission is a plus. I would take the Yanmar. The plans show a down angle transmission and if I remember well, the stringer spacing fits the Yanmar engine mounts. Good deal.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Raky0311
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Raky0311 »

thanks for the fast response!,love this design,btw I planning in purchase the dxf files to cut in cnc

Raky0311
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Raky0311 »

ok, please guys ,explain me something , in the study plans for Fl26 says : trailer weight = 1800 lbs and displacement DWL = 3000 lbs ,does that means I have 1200 lbs for people, fuel, water, beer, sandwich, etc , there is a lot of weight variables like engines, resin used, wood weight different, swim platform or not, bimini top or not, at least 10 gal of water ? how do I interpret this in order to know if this boat is ok for me ? , in my case between my 5 people family and 75gal of diesel have 1500 lbs,do I have to have half tank of fuel if want to get my family with me? :(