LM18 scaling question

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
MattJ
New Poster
New Poster

LM18 scaling question

Post by MattJ »

New member from Texas here. I'm currently working in Ohio which is giving me plenty of time to plan this build for when I get back down to Texas. (hopefully before any of that cold weather hits). So I'm wanting a LM18 for shallow fishing with one other person aboard I will never fish more than 2 people out of the boat. The problem I'm running into is my building area is 17' long which led me to the thought of scaling down the lm18 ten percent to 16' from my calculations it would put the beam just slightly above a fs18 and perfect for my length. My only choice for the full 18 (which i could always use more boat) is to build it completely outside under a carport I would have to purchase or covering it with tarps. Anyone complete a build outside?.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LM18 scaling question

Post by Jeff »

Matt, welcome to our Builders Forum!! Yes, many of our builders have built outside or used a tent of some sort!!! Again, welcome to the Forum!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

while not an LM18, Lil Bit (v12) was built outside under a tarp.
bogieman's Tipsy (ad16) was built under the blue sky with a tarp spread over her if it looked like rain.
Cracker Larry built all his under a carport.

I think more boats are built outside than in proper build sheds. I could be wrong though :) The only thing to watch for is temp change and humidity for epoxy cure. When you're painting dust/sand can be a problem but that's more about planning or paying for a finish space for a few days.

And don't forget Narfi building in a big tarp up in Alaska. He's build a couple boats and now is working on a plane in that "tent". He may not be sane, but he's making the most of that plastic shelter!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

If you only have 18’ length to build I don’t think it will work. I had 3’ in front and 3’ in back and I wish I had more room. I would get a 24’ tent type building.

My two cents.
Cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

MattJ
New Poster
New Poster

Post by MattJ »

I could do a tent type cover and a tarp. Assuming as long as I keep the wood dry I should be good. The paint work will hopefully get done at a buddies paint booth so the bugs wouldnt be an issue. Browsing it seems i didnt see many built outside so I was assuming it wasnt an option.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

Keep it dry & you'll be fine. I can give you examples of 60+ foot sportfishers built under open shelters & blue tarps.

Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Edd »

I built my sk14 in my carport. Temperature was the biggest issue.
Attachments
9DB2CCEE-655C-49E1-A034-F83DC4E6A725.jpeg
C11B9920-53BB-4D55-BCDF-F27E4F60014D.jpeg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Matt I would not down size the LM18, if you do you will decrease your ability to carry another fisherman. In my years here I have seen boats built under tents. under green houses, behind houses and lifted over the house by a crane. Others have put wheels on there frame and dragged out the boat to work on it and pushed it back in after working on it.

So lots of options you just need to be creative. Look forward to watching your build.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

MattJ
New Poster
New Poster

Post by MattJ »

Decided against the scaling and ordered a 15x30 carport cover. The wife wont be happy when it shows up :D But that should give me a good spot to build. I should be back to texas the end of the month and get started. Should I go ahead and order fast epoxy in preparation for the cooler temps. Usually doesnt get much below 40 where I live but with weather you never know.

MattJ
New Poster
New Poster

Post by MattJ »

BTW My wife just said "why dont you just go buy an new boat" I don't think she understood my "Because that doesn't sound very fun" answer.