new build GT Cruiser 23

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
LaChefels
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: new build GT Cruiser 23

Post by LaChefels »

Thanks so much. I will start pics this week. This is fun and scary at the same time.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Not only does sharing pics feed our desire to see boat stuff, but it can also help you because sometimes one of the experienced builders may notice something in your pic that can cause you trouble and have the chance to alert you to the issue long before you would have found it to be an issue.

So yes, ask as many questions as you can and shares as many pictures as you're willing to share.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

gstanfield wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:44 pm Not only does sharing pics feed our desire to see boat stuff, but it can also help you because sometimes one of the experienced builders may notice something in your pic that can cause you trouble and have the chance to alert you to the issue long before you would have found it to be an issue.

So yes, ask as many questions as you can and shares as many pictures as you're willing to share.
Let me add a couple more good reasons- a detailed build thread will help future builders of the GT23 as they work through the same steps you are, and it will possibly serve you in the future if you need to or want to see what you did, the record will be here and all together.

I think there is also an element of encouragement from the folks here that you might find helps you keep going through the tedious parts. Okay, that was more than two! :lol:
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Naylene, just glad to have you on the Forum!!! We welcome all questions!!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

One of the things I see frequently when looking at old threads is broken links to their photos, which pretty much contain the most useful information. I'd suggest uploading your pics to a builder gallery at this site, rather than trusting anywhere else. I like Imgur, e.g., but five years from now who knows what their situation will be.

If you need help figuring out how to get your pictures into a gallery or into a post, ask a question- lots of knowledgeable people here and criticizers are not tolerated.
Hank

LaChefels
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LaChefels »

Hola
Thanks for all the good advice.
Fall Guy which self leveling laser do you use?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

LaChefels wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:11 pm Hola
Thanks for all the good advice.
Fall Guy which self leveling laser do you use?
I bought one that is no longer available, but I will link one close.

This one and a tripod is super helpful.

A really good level is also my most used tool. Empire digital from HD is a bit spendy. I like mine, but the digital got messed up by calibration errors. Think I could fix it better now.

https://www.amazon.com/Tacklife-SC-L01- ... 549&sr=8-5
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

LaChefels
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LaChefels »

Skoota is a big boat. Cool.
Questions starting.
In the plans, there are stations A-F. Then, there are frames that attach to the strongback that shape the hull pieces and eventually become the permananent frames with stringers. What are the stations?

I got the cover between the containers yesterday, so finally out of the sun.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

LaChefels wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:53 am Skoota is a big boat. Cool.
Questions starting.
In the plans, there are stations A-F. Then, there are frames that attach to the strongback that shape the hull pieces and eventually become the permananent frames with stringers. What are the stations?

I got the cover between the containers yesterday, so finally out of the sun.
Typically, station jigs are used to support the ply panels while they are being stitched and glued. Then the bulkheads or frames are permanent structures that are tabbed into the boat.

The stations are essentially disposable.

This is done in order to provide consistent support on the strongback. That support may not be ideal for the final apportionment of the boat spaces. In my build, there were about 12 stations arranged as a female jig. They are not usable for the final boat at all.

I have not built the specific boat you are building, so if you have very specific questions; ask Mertens.

Here is a good picture of the Skoota female stations. You will be building on a male station jig.
FD67E552-C764-4113-BDE2-B5DE2DC06427.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Fallguy is right. The stations are simply temporary frames that are attached to the strongback. They provide the skeleton to wrap the hull panels on. Most of the time, the stations are in the same locations as the permanent frames. Once the hull has been planked, stitched, and fiberglassed the hull is flipped and the stations (molds) are taken out and replaced with the permanent frames and stringers.

Good luck!
Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright