I'm gonna build a boat

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TKFireman
New Poster
New Poster

I'm gonna build a boat

Post by TKFireman »

That said, I'm researching, looking for the right one. I'm a carolina boy and love the big flair and tumblehome. The CS 25 looks exactly like another plan I'm looking at from a different vender. The CS is a stitch and glue construction, and the only one I've seen built like that for a boat that large. Most are cold molded plywood strips on jigs. I'm a little concerned about not having a full stem and keel in a boat that big and taking a beating in the ocean. I feel like most here will be biased, as stitch and glue is all that is done here, but would like to hear some honest opinions.

Also looked at the Cx version, the kids and wife would like it when it rains or is chilly out, but takes up way too much floor space. Maybe the CS25 with jump cabin 🤔🤔🤔

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: I'm gonna build a boat

Post by gstanfield »

The building style here is called stitch & glue, but unreality it is more of a true composite than other designer’s stitch and glue boats. There have been many boats built with this composite build method that get used offshore often, including Peter’s CS25 on the island of Curaçao.

I wouldn’t worry a bit about it, but as you pointed out, there are other options if you’d rather build a heavier boat.

Welcome aboard, I hope you find what you’re looking for.

G
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I'm not specifically loyal to stitch and glue and I have built a range of methods, but if Jacques says the CS25 doesn't need a stem, it's because he's done the math on the loads to which it will be subjected and there's no need.

I don't think a stem has a major impact on strength; it has more to do with needing something to place the cold mold planks on at the bow. With s&g designs that's not necessary.

I wouldn't be remotely concerned about the structural integrity of this design. In fact I'd be surprised if there has been a single incident of hull failure of any of the boats here, aside from them coming off moorings and run into rocks. These things are pretty tough.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

TKFireman
New Poster
New Poster

Post by TKFireman »

I've been researching and I understand the differences in the construction methods. I guess the question I should have asked is if anyone has first hand experience with the two methods in a boat this size, and how was the ride quality compared between them? Noise difference when it comes to wave slap? More flex (paint/cracking issues)?

You are correct that it a qualified engineer designed it, it should withstand the forces it is gonna see.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jacques is a qualified engineer that worked for Pursuit Boats before starting this company in the 90's. There has never been a report of a failure of any of his designs to date. The CS25 has a keel to keep it going straight in seas. The strength is all in the plywood and fiberglass layup and the framing. There is little to no flex in a stitch and glue boat. Using a high quality paint you may not need to to re-paint for 10 or more years.

There have been several CS23-25's built from New England to Cape Hatteras and else where, see Peter's build in Curacao.

Good luck on which ever boat you choose, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Many CS25's and CS23 were built, some of them professionally and they perform very well.

Wooden boats have a wood piece called a stem. This is not a wooden boat.

It has a fiberglass stem. All fiberglass boats have a fiberglass stem made from generous overlaps of glass plus glass tape.
My design use composite techniques, it is not a wooden boat but a composite boat that uses plywood as a core of a sandwich.

I am retired now but was an active member of the ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) and of SNAME (Society of Naval Architects and Engineers) since the early 80's.
You can trust my designs. :wink:
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I'm just going to chime in here. My C17 has 4 layers of glass at the keel on the outside and will be getting more than that inside. The inside glass will be on a fillet which adds depth and more strength: seperating the glass like a core. It also has a skeg which goes much of the length of the keel. I'm taping that in with another layer of tape each side, overlapped in the middle. It will not be a weak keel. I know the CS series have a fair bit more than that. If that's a major concern you could always build it up some more with extra tape at the keel. I don't see the need, but if it helps you sleep I don't think a little extra glass in the keel will hurt any.

Waste of money and time is all.