Questions for Evan - HMD 19

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
duysall83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Questions for Evan - HMD 19

Post by duysall83 »

gstanfield wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:40 am What about having the outboard in a well, moved forward slightly and then bridge the swim platform around the back of the outboard. I saw a CMD Redwing with a swim platform and loved the idea of having the little outboard in a quiet enclosure and not hanging out in the way.
Sounds really nice but just conflicts with my aim to lengthen cocpit area.

By the way, any advice for installation of brackets to the transom below waterline?

SS Fasteners are must or epoxy & fabric combination may be sufficient? (in case of use of wooden brackets). All comments are appreciated.

Duysal

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Cowbro wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:46 am
gstanfield wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:40 am What about having the outboard in a well, moved forward slightly and then bridge the swim platform around the back of the outboard. I saw a CMD Redwing with a swim platform and loved the idea of having the little outboard in a quiet enclosure and not hanging out in the way.

IMO, building a well on the HMD19 (or 21 in this case) would take up too much of the limited rear deck space. I like the idea of it, however from a practicality standpoint, I think the bracket idea would be better.

The cool thing about the HMD with a a little 9.9 on the back is that the top of the engine is actually below the gunwales so you could put a little hinged cover over the motor well to cover the engine. That is on my list of eventual build ideas once in get mine on the water. I also plan to build at least one swim step/ladder on the transom, maybe one on each side of the outboard. We'll see. My last boat was an inboard mastercraft ski boat and I am sure going to miss the full width swim platform on the back.

I am excited to see this HMD21 come to be.
I know t's not exactly the same, but a similar small displacement cruiser is the CMD Redwing18. I saw one with a swim platform on the back and that's where I got the idea. Yes, you loose a bit of space by putting the outboard in a box, but you gain a VERY quiet cruising atmosphere.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

duysall83 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:13 am
Sounds really nice but just conflicts with my aim to lengthen cocpit area.

By the way, any advice for installation of brackets to the transom below waterline?

SS Fasteners are must or epoxy & fabric combination may be sufficient? (in case of use of wooden brackets). All comments are appreciated.

Duysal
No fasteners required, build it the same way as the rest of the boat, using epoxy/glass with heavy fillets and the gussets that Evan drew for you. A little 9.9 isn't terribly heavy and screws won't make up for a lack of support so as long as you support it properly with the braces previously mentioned then it'll be just fine.
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

duysall83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by duysall83 »

Hello Evan,

What should be approximate distance from bottom corner of transom to the bottom of swim platform (50 mm thick) You know i want to put the engine on a bracket on that platform also.

Thanks

Duysal

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Doesn't it depend on the mounting height of your outboard bracket? In other words a tall bracket will require a lower swim platform to keep motor in correct spot. A short bracket might require a higher platform height.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Evan is correct. You must have enough height on the block on the bracket to mount the outboard. In other words if your outboards mounting screws or clamps need to be ten inches a part you need to build a mounting board to meet that configuration. So 3-4" above the bracket and 6-7" below it, it all depends on your motors mounting pattern. Now next you need to out how to get the electrical and gas to the motor. Here is an Armstrong Brackets web site that shows a before and after bracket installation. https://www.armstrongnautical.com/armstrong-brackets/ It is down a little on the page at Advantages of Armstrong Brackets.

Do you have your motor yet? If so let us know what you have and what size the prop is.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

For the bracket I was picturing something like this mounted on the swim platform.

https://powrtran.com/shop/stationary-outboard-bracket/

SK17,MM21/MT24

duysall83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by duysall83 »

Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:19 pm For the bracket I was picturing something like this mounted on the swim platform.

https://powrtran.com/shop/stationary-outboard-bracket/

Dont have the motor yet but will follow your suggestion. I guess you mean this one?
Screenshot_2021-01-05-10-09-59-818_com.android.chrome.jpg

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Yes, exactly
SK17,MM21/MT24