plastic fuel tank hold downs

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

plastic fuel tank hold downs

Post by BrianC »

I’m using a 19 gallon Moeller plastic fuel tank that will be installed in a well under the center console:
The tank has a beveled area along each side that would keep centered a hold down strap:

All the hold down straps that I’ve found have one deficiency or another: the Moeller straps are plastic coated carbon steel, not stainless; I found a ratchet strap system but the ratchets are galvanized rather than SS; several others use plastic buckles. This tank doesn’t have the clamping sockets like some of the Moeller tanks so the Moeller SS hold-downs that clip into the tank's base are out. I’m thinking perhaps a 3” wide or so strip of 3/8” ply across the top along with two sections of SS threaded rod to clamp it down to the hull. What are other folks using to hold down their plastic tanks?
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: plastic fuel tank hold downs

Post by Fuzz »

I would go with your plywood idea. I do not think you need any downward force, just something to keep the tank from moving. If the tanks tries to move in the hole you are putting it in at that point you got bigger problems :help:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'd like to think a four say 3" wood blocks around the base would be good. Then I'd make a fillet of hot glue or 5200 on the top of each cleat. The other way is a bit much. The cleats can have a piece of inner tube or neoprene next to the tank and pressed roght up toght.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Put a frame on the 4th side.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Thanks for all the ideas. Here is what it looks like now:

Next, all the plywood will get epoxy coated, bedded in epoxy+wood flour glue, and taped. Then I'll pour a bit of 2-part foam under the platform and seal the holes with some 6oz woven. Then I'll mount a few strips of closed cell foam on both the bottom and side. Lastly, a simple plywood plate over the top held down by a couple of 1/4-20 SS threaded rods anchored into the base using tee-nuts. Also, there will be a 3/4" I.D. fiberglass tube running from this tank well to the small bilge back near the transom.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame